Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #31 
finney

I dunno. I'm inclined to believe Tanaka's fish was, and it was either never bred because the trait wasn't consistent, or because it's not all that attractive.
finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #32 
LittleBettaFish

This is what a lyretail looks like -

http://goliadfarms.com/pages/product...n_lyretail.htm

The fish you posted above is your regular, run-of-the-mill Double tail.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #33 
finney

Anyway. About the fish in question. I could almost swear I see an egg spot on him/her when he/she gets full. And there's no sign of fin regrowth. I know it's only been a few days, but when I've had a fish get fin rot or damaged fins, they're visibly regenerating in 24 hours. I guess only time will tell what gender my little mystery is.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #34 
vaygirl

That's enough yelling and sniping. I removed all the clutter from this thread. Don't make me close it.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #35 
Sena Hansler

Finney you're making a mountain out of a hole :) greentea is saying believe what you want... But there isn't lyretail bettas (although that WOULD BE AWESOME! lol) but yeah yours could be a double tail, which I personally think is cool :)

So you found the "egg spot" as you call it? I have two bettas with heavy fin (darn auto correct) damage. It will take longer than a couple days for them to heal. However I got a gal whose tail was split by Madame and it healed in under half a week. Must depend on the betta, and the damage? Like I said before wait a month... Or even a couple weeks and you'll be able to tell :) males get longer tails usually, and females will usually grow in body more than tail. I've got PK and VT :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #36 
finney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Finney you're making a mountain out of a hole :) greentea is saying believe what you want... But there isn't lyretail bettas (although that WOULD BE AWESOME! lol) but yeah yours could be a double tail, which I personally think is cool :)

So you found the "egg spot" as you call it? I have two bettas with heavy fun damage. It will take longer than a couple days for them to heal. However I got a gal whose tail was split by Madame and it healed in under half a week. Must depend on the betta, and the damage? Like I said before wait a month... Or even a couple weeks and you'll be able to tell :) males get longer tails usually, and females will usually grow in body more than tail. I've got PK and VT :)
I saw one of this fish's siblings in the store - it was also a partial albino - same light body and red eyes, but one REALLY bright blue swash on it's caudal fin - and it was definitely male. Not much in the way of tail yet, but more than this fishie has.

I think "egg spot" is what the white spot near a female's anal opening is called, right? That's what I've always heard it referred to as. Does it have another name?

But anyway, that white spot near the ventral opening that gravid females show is what I'm talking about. It's kind of hard to tell, since the fish is white anyway, and small - and I don't want to stress it out by netting to look closer - but I do think I've seen it.

Yet, I do agree with others that ventral and dorsal fins suggest male. Wouldn't doubt if this little oddity is a hermaphrodite on top of everything else.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #37 
BettaGirl290

Can we get back on track of the topic of what gender his fish is, please? o_o
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #38 
finney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl290 View Post
Can we get back on track of the topic of what gender his fish is, please? o_o
I'm a lady. :)

And see my comment above.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #39 
Sena Hansler

Hehe who knows??? Your betta could be a "deformity" causing it to be both sexes xD not common but not unheard of LOL. Well whichever it is, very neat looking :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #40 
finney

Its brother was really cool too. Looked just like my fish except with a thinner/longer tail, which had a streak of cobalt blue running through the center of it.

I would LOVE to find the "locally raised" breeder that locally raised these.