Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #11 
KatMays379

I'm going to the fish store today, is there any antibacterial meds you recommend more so than another?

Also, his pineconing seems to be coming and going; yesterday it almost looked like it was going to get worse, today it's much less pronounced but still there.

He's still eating, still swimming, still kicking, but I'm worried he might be uncomfortable. I've lowered the water level and bough a betta leaf for him (sticks to the wall so he can rest on something closer to the surface) and he has one of those small betta logs that does something similar, is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable?
KatMays379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #12 
Pataflafla

I recommend Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2. Having both is good just in case this turns out to be symptoms of dropsy and organ failure. those two medications are always what's recommended for treating dropsy.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #13 
KatMays379

I don't mean to be rude or display my ignorance too much, but I thought dropsey wasn't treatable? I thought it always killed the fish.

I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #14 
Pataflafla

True dropsy does. Dropsy is just used to describe pine coning (which is usually associated with a bacterial infection of the internal organs or actual organ failure).

True dropsy has like a 1% change of survivability and then it can resurface continually in the fish's life. Overall, it's best to just euth a fish that has true dropsy.

Hopefully you're guy just has a bacterial infection that a medication will knock out completely and hasn't gone into organ failure. I didn't say he had it, but he's displaying a few bits of it, so it's best to treat it like it is just in case.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #15 
TurboDude69

Hey sorry to hear your having problems. Sounds like what my betta is going through too. Here is a link to my thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84165 and you can do most of the things OldFishLady recommeneds to make your betta more comfortable. I think the tannins really helped with Pinky soI suggest doing that. Don't put the leaves in the tank like I did cuz its hard to clean up. It does sound like age is playing a factor in this too. I have noticed alot of times when betta's get old that this is one of the common things that happen to them from experience and reading other people's experiences too. Also its not good to feed bloodworms as a main diet. Only as a snack. I wouldn't even feed it another bloodworm until the problem is solved. I would switch to brine shrimp or mosquito larvae if you have access to that.

Last edited by TurboDude69; 10-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.
TurboDude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #16 
TurboDude69

As far as life span goes the longest they can live is about 5 years but thats usually if you get them straight from the breeder. In my opinion when you get a betta from a fish store you can automatically take a year off that life span. And most of the the time they are 7 months to a year old already at a fish store. I would say average is 3 years. Alot of factors play into how long they live.
TurboDude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #17 
KatMays379

Latest update:

I've done 10 days of Maracyn two treatment (I couldn't find Maracyn one at any of the local stores and I'm running low on cash as is), as well as salt treatment for 12 days at 1 tbs a day with a 50% water change every 2 days. When I tried to do a full tbs per gallon into the tank Fafner started looking even more distressed so I lowered the amount.

The good news is the scales have fallen back mostly; only a few are raised here and there. And he's still eating (like a pig, so he's fasting on Sundays) and still swims to the top of the tank for air (lowered the water level so it's easier for him).

The bad news is he still sinks like a stone if he's not activly swimming to the surface, sits at the bottom still (he doesn't even sit on the leaf or in the log that I bought him) and over-all just doesn't look too happy.

What's more, today I looked in the tank are realized there are a tone of tiny flea-like creatures swimming around in his tank, similar to "seed shrimp" but more flea-like, maybe more of an Isopod.

Any thoughts? Fafner is still kicking and still swimming (sadly though) and still eating and doing a tiny bit better, so I'm not willing to let him go yet, but if there are any suggestions or considerations, please feel free to add them. I'm going to pick up an unused 1 gallon tank my friend has and start setting it up as a hospital tank in case I need to transfer Fafner to address the "water-flea" issue.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #18 
Myates

With Epsom Salt treatment for SBD, I don't think it was mentioned- but you should be doing 100% daily water changes, redosing with Epsom and water conditioner each time- why it is best to keep them in a smaller container to make the daily water changes easier.
It's teaspoon (tsp), not table spoon (tbs).. so unsure if you meant teaspoon, or table. If you were using tablespoon (tbs) then that could easily of over dosed him, along with not doing enough water changes. I'm sorry if some of that wasn't mentioned to you when suggested to use the Epsom Salt.

I would move him into a smaller container (the one gallon will be fine) and continue the Maracyn treatment- premixing everything in a gallon water jug to use during daily water changes (use Maracyn for as long as directions tell you to use it). Use 2 teaspoons per gallon of the Epsom Salt. Do daily 100% water changes, dosing with water conditioner.
The Epsom should help with pineconing as well.

While he is in treatment, I would do a huge cleaning on his home tank- siphoning out the gravel like crazy.

Good luck to you..

Last edited by Myates; 11-06-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #19 
KatMays379

Before you read this, please excuse me for sounding frustrated, but I'm getting several different sets of advice from something like 15 people on and off of the computer, and so I'm doing th best with what I have, so bare with me if I seem a little peeved...

The other previous posts said to do either 2 tsps or 3 tsp (3 tsp=1 tbsp) per gallon, which is what I did until it started to show obvious distress. I was just following the advice given to me before in this thread, so...don't know what to to tell you other than I was just following the advice given to me before. Since it was obviously doing harm, I'm tuned it down to a level he can handle and that seems to match some of the advice I was recieving.

I have him in a 6 gallon tank (down to 4.5 right now) and doing 100% water change isn't good for the bacteria in the tank or him (water changes/peramiters changing so quickly...it's how I lost several of my guppies when I started out, so I'll not make that mistake again), so I won't do more than a 3-gallon water change right now for the sake of not stressing him out too much.

The Maracyn 2 says to use it for no longer than 10 days, so I am reluctant to continue to use it unless someone else has previous experience using it past the 10-day limit with success.

before (my first day of) work tomorrow I'm going to venture forth and see if there are any other antibiotics or something else available at the fish stores that might treat this. Right now, I'm at my wits end with all of the different advice and different dosages and different tips I'm getting.

If the symptoms fit any other illness, please tell me, or if someone has had success with a different form of treatment for something VERY different, please tell me.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #20 
KatMays379

so here are some photos of fafner as an update. He's always had this coloration, it's just how he looks; purple-blue body with orange-yellow fins. Please note the scales; they've been like this for 2 weeks now, and were worse but improved within 2 days.

Fafner's still eating normally (however I have to suck the air out of his food pellets so they'll sink and he can eat them), still swims to the top to breathe, but spends all of his time on the bottom of the tank. I'm going to add another plant that he had in their earlier so that there are more spaces for him to rest on towards the surface.

He does this weird sinking thing; he'll swim to the top, gulp air as quickly as possible, and immediatly start to sink to the bottom of the tank. Again, I have several things towards the surface for him to sit on, but he always choose the floor.

I have several photos and one tape I'll try to add or add a link to.

right now I'm looking for other antibacterial treatments and something to combat organ failure. I'd be fine if this was a permenint (sp?) thing and he wasn't in any pain, but as swim bladder is supposed to clear up in a few weeks and shouldn't lead to pineconing, I don't know what to do or expect now.

We'll see. Any insight would be great.

Tags
bladder, floor, sbd, swim