Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 
masshiimarro

clamped fins, cant figure out whats wrong :|

hellos, my fish has been very clamped lately. I cant figure out whats wrong! it happened very suddenly, like, i woke up and he was clamped. no prior signs the previous days whatsoever. i was thinking maybe its the water quality, since he doesnt have any other symptoms. his fellow betta roommate on the other side is fine and dandy, and all the things are the same for the both of them.. anyways, any feedback would be great, thanks!

Housing

What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75-76
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? divided with other betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aquaculture pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day 3 pellets, usually with an additional feeding of 1 pellet. 7 days a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime decholorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH:7.5
Hardness:
Alkalinity: 180 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? extremely clamped..
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he hasnt been as active as usual, still responds actively to food and people tho.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago, about... 3-4 days?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i tried changing the water by 75%
Does your fish have any history of being ill? was pretty clamped with i first got him a month ago.. but since then ive been able to nurse him back to health, until now. D:
How old is your fish (approximately)? pretty young...?
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #2 
masshiimarro

oh and i just realized he has a tendency to rest at the top too.. not actually gasping for breath, but i think its just more convenient for him. :o
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

he would be about 10-12 months I'd guess. Has anything changed? water? How is the other betta?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 AM   #4 
masshiimarro

hmm....i have switched him to a 2 gal before putting him into the 5.5 gal.... and that tank used to house an ich fish that i wasnt aware of at the time... so maybe that had something to do with it? if thats what happened i feel really bad about it, especially since he was getting so much better from the petco experierience. T_T The other betta on the other side seems pretty unaffected. hes pretty normal.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well, ich is ALWAYS in a tank just it attacks fish that are stressed or sick. Did you clean the tank after ich? I've gotten females who didn't have ich, then they got it but my tank was clean. Are there any little white specks on him? sometimes it is hard to see sometimes it is easy :) If so, you'll just want to make sure the temperature is raised (anywhere between 80 and 86 works) and use AQ salt, 1 tsp per gallon.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #6 
masshiimarro

no the male doesnt have ich specks on him... BUT, he does seem to have what looks like velvet? im not really sure... but i can tell theres a bit of dusting on him, but it isnt the rust or gold coloring like velvet... any ideas? im really confused about him... hes such a trooper though, still looking so strong even though i know hes feeling pretty bad..
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I never ever even recommend it... but...if you can use bettafix (ask people on here I'll stay out of that convo because I won't even bother) which'll help. It's a watered down version of mellafix, and if used correctly could help?