Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #21 
Pataflafla

Yup. Those are the medications you'll need. Maybe check out some local pet stores to see if they carry any of it? Or call around and see if any places carry it before ordering.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #22 
Gloria

Thanx pataflafla... What would you recommend for w/c.. still 100% daily?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #23 
Pataflafla

Once you add in the epsom salt, I'd say yes. This will prevent overdosing on it.

100% daily for long periods actually weakens the fish, but if you're treating, then it's ok. Since you'll be treating with epsom salt and possibly medication later on, it's best to do 100% changes.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #24 
Gloria

I do 100% w/c everyday! :( this is bad?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #25 
Pataflafla

For long term it is since it doesn't let your betta build up the correct immune response to bacteria that it will experience in regular tank life.

If you keep him in the 8L tank permanently, you'll want to just do 1 50% and 1 100% weekly after treatment. For now it's ok because he's sick and you don't want whatever is making him sick building up.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

Thanks Pataflafla for helping out :p Sadly I kind of figured it would be dropsy ;( And we know how hard it is when they get it! I do wonder though, are there any miniscule signs for dropsy? Most people seem to get it head on out of the blue.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #27 
purplemuffin

Well dropsy isn't like ich or velvet. It basically means organ failure which is causing the intense swelling/raising of the scales. So generally you have to know the care of your betta and signs he is getting sick. Sometimes it can just happen--a long time of bad care, something early in life that hurt him and possibly shortened his lifespan, old age, or even just birth defects that the fish couldn't handle that caused it. I think of dropsy more as a sign that it's just been too much for the poor fish and the body is falling apart. Not a disease, but a symptom of all the problems together and the conclusion. Sometimes 'dropsy' is fixed, but it usually isn't really true dropsy--because there are other reasons scales will lift. Maybe something causing swelling for example! Sometimes I think dropsy can be fixed--maybe the organs weren't hurt enough to fully fall apart, but almost did. But you would have had to catch it before you even saw the scales raising! But it's hard to treat a fish whose organs are no longer functioning properly. :( Hard to have a little fishy ER. We just have to do the best we can, hope it can be reversed or isn't really true dropsy, and try to make the fish as comfortable as possible!

I think the big reason it's out of the blue is it's internal. A fish can't tell us he has a stomach ache or that his organs aren't working. Sometimes one organ failing can have a symptom we can see, and that's probably the only time we can really tell.

But like, think about a heart attack. Those appear to come right out of the blue, but often times if you were to be monitoring the organs you could see the likelihood of it happening as well as be able to tell just before it happened!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

That's true. I saw a betta in the store (pineapple coloring I believe) who looked happy in his little bowl, cruising around... I liked his color AND his attitude, lift the bowl up and he was so pineconed, he could've fallen off a tree! :( sadly he did have dropsy, so there was nothing that really could be done (by me anyways).

But yeah dropsy can be fixed sometimes, as long as you get it the time you see it. some people let it run it's course, which then causes severe irreversible damage and death in most cases.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #29 
Pataflafla

If it is true dropsy and your fish does survive, there is a high chance of him suffering from it multiple times afterwards. It's just one of those things where chances increase after each successive bout.

I honestly don't think it's dropsy, but treat as if it is.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Y'never know :) and even if it isn't, it's still something internal and Epsom will help a little.