Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Arrow Spawn tank/overall plan for spawning - Your thoughts?

Can I get some helpful suggestions on my spawn tank here? It's a 10 gallon for spawning hmpk giants. Do you think I should raise the water level a bit since the fish are twice as big? The male is 2.9 and the female is 2.7 inches at 3.5 months.

I have duckweed in there, as well as a moss ball and an amazon sword. I have a floating petco lid, floating fake lilly, as well as a fake plant that comes above water level and an IAL in there so the male has several places to build his nest. I will add a few more swords to the tank before I spawn them.

I've also got my sponge filter goin' in my sorority for an instant cycle. I'm planning to move the filter over after the fry have been free swimming for a few days. Is that what those of you who user sponge filters do? These pictures are a little obnoxious as I couldn't get you to be able to see anything without the flash on so sorry about that!

Spawn plan : I'm getting the pair Wednesday morning. The breeder has been conditioning them for me for probably two weeks. My plan is to keep them separated in their IAL infused tanks to recoup after shipping, letting them see each other a few times a day for 5 mins at a time, and mass feed them frozen food and a few pellets until Friday morning, where I will move the male to the spawn tank and then add the female that night, assuming they show all the signs. If not, just condition them for another week and try again the following weekend. Thoughts?

I have a few decorations that are little houses, I was unsure of using them because the female could completely disappear in them for awhile..Or would that be perfect?

This is the giant pair -

GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #2 
GreenTea

Anyone?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #3 
betta89

looks good to me i like the bettas
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #4 
GreenTea

Thanks. Well...I guess no news is good news and I'll proceed as described. Although bettas won't get here until Thursday now so I might wait until Saturday.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #5 
JAB91

I would say raise the water almost to the top. Since there young and well conditioned they should have no problem being able to get the eggs and more water means it wont get polluted as fast IMO.
JAB91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #6 
GreenTea

Good idea! I didn't even think about the fact that they wouldn't eve have to swim down to get the eggs at the current water level.

Seems so obvious now that you said it! Haha this is why I need you guys.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I personally would spawn in a larger tub but since they're young it should be fine.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #8 
GreenTea

Unfortunately I don't have a larger tub so this 10 g it is.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Well good luck. If you get some nice ones when they're older I might be interested in buying/trading. I'll have plenty of HMPK and HM by the time they grow up.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #10 
GreenTea

Thank you! I currently have three 10 gallon grow out tanks as well.