Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #1 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Spawn Log for Rowan and Northern Lights

Well, I got the "OK" from work that they'll take in as many betta babies as I get from this (hopeful) spawn between Rowan the Opal Dragon HM (or really, I think he's a Delta :P ) and Northern Lights (aka Nights) who is a completely cellophane veiltail.

If I get any kids out of this that you guys want, PM me for some. I'll likely have way too many for work to carry on their shelves. xD

All my bettas have been going through the conditioning process for several weeks, but as my 10g sorority got a freak parasite infestation, Nights was the only one really left available for breeding. (She lives in a 2.5g separate from the other girls... because she's a terrorist to them, lol.) I love Deltas and HMs, so whichever Rowan really is (as he's still kinda young-looking), I'm happy with whatever result I get... and yes, I realize VTs are likely to "mess up" the genetics, but this is my first spawn attempt after about half a year of research and if things don't go right... at least I'm not loosing the chance to get that "perfect" spawn together... And I don't mind veiltails, especially since most of the kids will go to the lfs I work for.

I'm sorry if I'm not making sense. |D I'm a bit scatterbrained right now.

As Nights is cellophane, I'm very interested to see how that'd mix with a color. It's also convenient that I can see if anything internally is wrong with her (which there doesn't appear to be) and see all the eggs she's carrying. Which is a lot, lol.
Rowan's opal sheen is gorgeous... and him being a dragon, I'm really interested in seeing how that mixes with cello.

Anyway, here's some decently recent pictures I have of them:

Rowan's best pic:
It's hard to see his dragon scales in all his pictures, but he has a mask on his lower jaw and back under him to his gills. He's got a bit of a dragon speckle across his back, too.

Night's best pic:
She's got this Marilyn Monroe spot on her, lol... only real color she has. She also has sparkly cheeks. xD

If I ever catch better pictures of these two before spawning, I'll definitely show it off.

Rowan's got until this Friday in the half-filled 10g by himself... and then Nights comes into view... muahahahaha....

EDIT: Also, if I sound like I'm in a bit of a hurry to breed, it's because I sorta am, but not. I have time right now to take care of all the fry and etc. but if I don't attempt it between now and the end of the month, it'll be 1. that much harder for my granpa to take care of my fish and 2. the kids would have to go to the lps earlier than I think they'd be ready for. While we do take great care of the bettas we get in, I can't help but wonder about the people buying them... y'know... "smaller betta means I can get a smaller tank to keep him/her in" sort of mainstream thinking... but if that event occurs, I think Kurt would know to really stress how well the people should be caring for them.... On an off note, we had a fantastic conversation last Saturday about setting up a new huge display tank for bettas to break mainstream thinking around our area. I seriously love the store I work at. I wish they were everywhere. |D
Anyway, once I get in the Air Force, I'll likely have very very little time to dedicate to breeding. Might as well get one done while I'm stuck at home doing nothing, right? xD;;

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 10-11-2011 at 10:10 PM.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #2 
Gloria

:D
Your Bettas are beautiful.. I wish you the best of luck and bet you will be successful and have gorgeous little fry...
:D
Kepp us all posted!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Thanks so much! I hope things go well and I get a bunch of these little guys soon... and I will keep updates going. :) Tomorrow I get Night's vase into the tank and we'll see how they respond.

Something I really want to add: I hope most of the kiddies get Night's eyes. They're a very light blue and it'd look gorgeous with Rowan colors the kids will likely have.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #5 
Bambi

I love blue eye'd betta. Good luck :)
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #6 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Thanks!

So far, so good. They're both flirting and swimming in "Ssssssss". :D

I've never seen Rowan so worked up over another betta before. This could end well. ;)
Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #7 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Just got home from work and checked on them. Rowan's tall-but-tiny bubblenest grew about 5x. I'll post pictures later... need to eat dinner. |D I'm starving.

But do you think I should let her out tonight? I'll be up for a while to watch over them and see how things get.
Things are still really flirty with the two right now... but she realizes he can't get to her so she isn't swimming away as much and is more like "HA can't touch this" ... *Hammer Time*
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #8 
Gloria

lol... How cute.. Hope it all works out..
My pair just spawned this morning.. It really is a beautiful thing.. :D
Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Well, I decided to let her out... and right now, it's like a slow game of tag. He chases her is an S pattern while she swims about looking at things... then she turns to follow him around, and he still flares and wiggles in all kinds of 45' angles... lol... it's kinda cute... When they get close to each otehr, no biting happens or anything. But as I type(d) this, they are starting to swim a bit faster every word.

I'll keep you posted.

Edit: Now it's a lot of fast-chasing tag, but still no biting. Both are flaring and swimming in S's and 45's. This really is going to end well... at least in an embrace. I don't see why not, anyway. |D

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 10-15-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #10 
Gloria

Oh wow.. Sounds like it wont be long and this will be coming together quickly :D