Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #1 
Nouran

Is my fish a betta fish? if yes HELP!!!!!!

Ok... i dont know if thats a betta fish or not. According to my research it is a betta fish. However I just want someone to confirm. Im sure its a Male it has a beard plus the man i got it from told me its a male.

THE PROBLEM IS...Its behaviour changed. When I first got it, it used to continuesly chase and annoy my gold fish. They wer a bit like Tom&Jerry. Then it stopped perhaps it got used to it. I got another gold fish.

Now he doesnt chase anything. He didnt eat since i got him, 3 days ago. Hes very quiet and always hanging out alone away from the two gold fish and rarely moves. Always stays at the bottom.
He smells the food and swims away from it as though he dont want it.
I also dont understand whats those brown things on his head? I think pealed off skin or something. Is it normal??

help me plz...beginner here....
Attached Images

Nouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Okay, first yes he is a betta. Secondly bettas and goldfish should never be together for one reason: temperature :) goldfish like it cold, and your betta needs it warm! You may want to get a 2.5 gallon tank or something, and give him a heater. This'll perk him right up! Also as for the not-eating part, the cold water could be one reason, and the other reason is because he is adjusting to his environment. from the pictures, the top of his ehad you mentioned, looks like missing scales. Again I highly suggest getting him his own little paradise and a heater :) this'll avoid diseases, sickness, death, and depression for your new betta.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #3 
tsukiowns

^+1

yeah it is a betta and yeah they need to be separated ASAP. Goldfish bioload is to much a and the place where you have him is not to big so i would be areful with the water chemestry (like i said its better to move him ASAP). Even if its to the 10 dollar critter keeper with some substrate and a 10 dollar heating pad and some plants your new boy will perk up on the spot... make sure if you do to mmove him correctly not just toss him from cold to hot he might get shock and die (talking from experinace)... reasearch how to move him from one water to another ,unless u know the disregard. yeah the head is missing some scales. best of luck with the new Boy (whats his name BTW)...^.^
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

^+1 the critter keeper and heating pad... never thought of that :) it'd work. And to acclimatize him to a new tank float him in a bag or container, for 15-30 minutes, adding water from the tank to his container or bag every 15 minutes, then you can slowly tip him in, or net him to put him in (I tip since it causes less stress)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #5 
Luimeril

your darling little guy, could be suffering from ammonia poisoning. goldfish are very NASTY fish, and should NEVER be kept in bowls. they need HUGE tanks(anywhere from 20 gallons for one tiny little fancy, all the way up to 75+ gallons for one common/comet goldfish!), and need massive amounts of filtration. so, if i were you, i'd take the goldfish back.

also, goldfish can't be kept with bettas at all. they need cooler water, and the amount of filtration they need is VERY stressful on bettas.

how big is that bowl? depending on the size, you may be able to keep your betta alone in it, with a small heater(they make betta bowl heaters now, from ZooMed).

so, just to recap, take the goldfish back to the pet store, and, depending on the size of your bowl, get a new tank for him. Kritter Keepers are cheap, but wonderful alternatives to bowls, with the 2 gallon one only costing around $10~$13.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #6 
BettaGirl290

^ +1 about goldfish & the bettas
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #7 
Nouran

ok 2.5 gallons is around 7 liters which i think is too much? dont u think? its such a tiny small betta fish. The bowl im keeping him in can take from 1 to 1.5 liters (sorry i dont deal with gallons). HOWEVER, I keep them all in a big plastic sort of laundry thing TEMPORARY till i get an aquarium. Even tho i realised hes doing better around the gold fish as he sometimes joins them under a small house i made for them, I will take ur advise and seperate him from the gold fish to the small glass bowl.

First of all can u tell me the steps of moving the betta fish to da warmer water so he dont get a shock?
Second of all what temperature is good for the betta fish?
How often does he eat? and how often should i feed him? i put for him 2 small fish food dots or watever u call them every morning. He still dont eat them.

Emm...also one thing, i still didnt name him. I didnt name any of the fish yet lol...is it ok if bring him a FEMALE?? for some company? It sounds like a bad idea i know...
ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING... I tried that mirror thing to c if hes going to get all attacky!!! he didnt do anything! he just either stands a little or just swims away lazily and slowly...Do all of the betta attack their own reflection though??

Last edited by Nouran; 10-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Nouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #8 
Gen2387

The betta needs at least 9.5 liters which is 2.5 gallons. I would strongly suggest at least that. And you absolutly need a heater to perk up the little guy and a thermometer so you don't accidently kill him because the water is too hot or too cold. They need to be in water that's between 78 to 82 degrees. And I also strongly suggest a filter set at the lowest setting so there's not too much current. That's the minimum you need to have a healthy, happy betta. And if you don't get a filter, you need to do frequent water changes, like twice a week.

Good luck with your little friend.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #9 
Luimeril

2.5 gallons SEEMS like a lot, but bettas DO grow. and, they LOVE space. they love to explore, swim about, spread their finds. keeping him in anything smaller, is like you living in a tiny closet all your life, with no room to stretch. x:

you shouldn't get him anymore friends. the three of them in the tank alone, is too much. and, he'll attack her, even though he's a male, she's a female. they're VERY territorial fish, and will often attack ANYTHING that's in the tank.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #10 
Gen2387

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=8923

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078

Forgot to put these links in. They are amazing, read them and you'll have no probem taking care of your little betta. :)
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote