Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #11 
Nouran

Those are recent pictures i took this morning while i was changing the water. ( i change the water every 3 days) And u can c hes inside that little house kinda thing...being inactive. Sometimes he interacts with the goldfish tho...mostly he doesnt
Attached Images

Nouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #12 
purplemuffin

The mirror thing: if he isn't well and is cold he won't mess with his reflection. :( Some bettas just don't care, but even the ones who do but are too cold/sick will just sit there.

Food: You mean pellets? So the betta has not eaten anything since you got him? Their stomach is as big as their eye. When feeding pellets most people feed two in the morning and two at night, or three all together at one time.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #13 
Nouran

no he didnt eat anything for 3 days. I put for him 2 pellets this morning he went nd sort of stuck his mouth on it but den swam away and didnt it any of the two pellets. till now they're still floating on the water surface. Hes a very small betta his mouth is very tiny i noticed. maybe the pellet is a little big for him???
Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #14 
purplemuffin

it's possible, you might try breaking them apart and seeing if he's interested.

You can also soak a pellet in garlic juice! :) Sometimes they go for that!

But if he's not well, there is a reason he's not eating. Hopefully we can get him to eat until he has clean, warm water.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

My one betta gets depressed in anything under 10 gallons (diva!! >/) I had to put one of my bettas into a 2 gallon bowl and he flared and ignored me for 2 weeks -.- one betta I have looooves his one gallon. All depends on the betta, as long as the care (water changes) are there!

There are SOME betta males who like being with other fish, but for the most part start off with just him so you get used to owning a betta. Then you can ask on here what would be best and we'll determine his personality too, which'll help with how suitable he is with certain fish.

Bettas should have between 76-80 degrees F for water temperature, which is why 2.5 is best because it's easier to heat than a 1 gallon or something :)

Like purplemuffin said, soak a pellet in garlic juice. usually that is hard for a betta to resist.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #16 
missm83

yes hes a betta..and looks like my boy
i have a 2.5 gallon for him and i think its perfect for him
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #17 
Luimeril

he could be hiding from the goldfish. they're pretty scary fish! and, since he's hiding so much, he could not feel well. why don't you put him back in the bowl, with a plant, and keep the goldfish in the container? he'll feel much better then. just, be sure to change the water in the bowl at least every other day.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #18 
Nouran

ok do u have any suggestions what kind of fish bettas would cope fine with in general? I guess the fish they should b joined with also must b warm water fish as well...unlike gold fish
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #19 
purplemuffin

Here is the deal with bettas.. They were originally bred to fight. That means people bred them to be aggressive--even the bettas now are aggressive. So in general, they don't often do well with other fish, even if the other fish is also a warm water small fish. Sometimes they do fine, sometimes they don't. For a first betta it's usually best to house them alone. Plus you need a 10 gallon tank to house a betta with any other fish!

They like living by themselves. :) Imagine being trapped in a small room with some stranger--all the time!! It's stressful. Either the betta nips the other fish, or the other fish will nip the betta! Again there are exceptions, but in general these things can and will happen! You can look at the compatibility section if you must, but be aware of the tank needs, your betta needs, and all the personalities. And the more fish, the more you have to change the water.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #20 
mjoy79

I would start with making sure your betta is in a warm tank by himself before you purchase other fish to be with him. That should be your first priority. Please seperate him from the gold fish ASAP. Your betta is cold and needs heat and doesn't want to share space with a goldfish....
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote