Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #21 
Luimeril

if you really want them to live with other fish, most people keep them with a small school of pygmy cory catfish, but you HAVE to have a 10 gallon or bigger.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #22 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouran View Post
ok 2.5 gallons is around 7 liters which i think is too much? dont u think? its such a tiny small betta fish. The bowl im keeping him in can take from 1 to 1.5 liters (sorry i dont deal with gallons). HOWEVER, I keep them all in a big plastic sort of laundry thing TEMPORARY till i get an aquarium. Even tho i realised hes doing better around the gold fish as he sometimes joins them under a small house i made for them, I will take ur advise and seperate him from the gold fish to the small glass bowl.

First of all can u tell me the steps of moving the betta fish to da warmer water so he dont get a shock?
Second of all what temperature is good for the betta fish?
How often does he eat? and how often should i feed him? i put for him 2 small fish food dots or watever u call them every morning. He still dont eat them.

Emm...also one thing, i still didnt name him. I didnt name any of the fish yet lol...is it ok if bring him a FEMALE?? for some company? It sounds like a bad idea i know...
ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING... I tried that mirror thing to c if hes going to get all attacky!!! he didnt do anything! he just either stands a little or just swims away lazily and slowly...Do all of the betta attack their own reflection though??

If you really care for your fish, you will get him a bigger bowl. The bigger the better, even if it is 'just' a little betta. How would you like to live in a tiny bowl your whole life? 1-2 gallons is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM to keep Bettas in.
Goldfish and Bettas are not under any circumstances, compatible. Goldfish are coldwater fish, create a GIANT amount of ammonia and really are just gross. Bettas are tropical fish and can't survive the large amounts of ammonia that the goldfish create. Separate them as soon as you possibly can.
A good setup for your betta would be a 1-2 gallon tank with a heater and live/silk plants with plenty of hiding spots. Change the water every few days, or the ammonia will build up too much, making him sick and sluggish.
Feed him 2-3 Betta pellets once a day. Do not over or underfeed.
To properly acclimate him, take his cup that he came in or a fish-bag, and put him in that with water from his current tank. Float the bag or cup in his new tank for 15-20 minutes before adding a VERY small amount of water to the bag or cup. Do this every 10-15 minutes until the bag/cup is almost full. Then carefully net him out and place him into his new paradise.
DO NOT get him a female, she'll kill him or he'll kill her, or they'll both die.
Good luck, and let me know if you have anymore questions.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

Okay, I would NOT worry about having other fish until he is in a bigger tank. Every betta has his own personality! for instance, I have had Spartan with danios, tetras, guppies, snails, cories... But my Maine attacked my cory, Madame killed my apple snail (and he WASN'T small), and I have two bettas who were stupidly tossed in with incompatible fish (cichlids and rosy barbs). So, it always depends :) I'd recommend a heated 10 gallon, with a snail, perhaps cory cats... If you have plants and hiding spots in a 10, it's usually okay with certain fishies.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #24 
MaggieLynn

Yes follow what everyone is telling you, 1-2 gallons MINIMUM and with no other fish. I would suggest if you did want a companion I would go with a snail. Do not forget the heater!!! and a thermometer bettas need water around 78 degress F or around 24-25 C.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #25 
betta89

ummmm
quick queshton you did put watter conditener in right to get rid of cemicals,amonia and stuff
plzzzz tell me you did if you dident this could be part of your problem also 2.5 gallons is not big for a betta mine has a 5 gal all to himself as all my others have a 2.5 or 3 gall and plz do take the gold fish out they might bully him and he may bight them
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #26 
bettafish15

All the advice everyone is giving is great, so please follow it :) No tankmates besides snails/shrimp in anything under 10g, and I would focus on learning how to care for the fish you have first.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #27 
betta89

oh also feeding scedual put in 2 normal pellets or 3-4 minni pellets in the morning and a small pinch of flakes or 3 or 2 blood worms frozen in the night

Last edited by betta89; 10-18-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo bad typo
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

2.5 is FINE, as long as it is heated and the water is changed. My friend's betta is in a 1.5 gallon because he'd rather that. I have a betta who hates bigger tanks so he is in a small tank. At least, minimal a 2-2.5 gallon for the betta :)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #29 
Sena Hansler

Mine murdered him whenever he tried to peek out of his shell... lol. So yeah. OP. what IS your betta like? does he flare at everything? is he vicious during feeding time?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #30 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Mine murdered him whenever he tried to peek out of his shell... lol. So yeah. OP. what IS your betta like? does he flare at everything? is he vicious during feeding time?
OP said his fish isnt doing well, and isnt eating.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote