Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #31 
gypsydancer

Bettas need a MINIMUM of 2.5 gallons to be healthy. They need high water quality and the smaller the tank the more water changes you'll need. Each time you have to do water changes or mess with their tank, you run the chance of stressing the fish.
gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #32 
LittleBettas

2.5 may see like a lot... but once you put one in a 2.5 (or bigger!) they are AMAZING
Half the tank usually becomes a bubble next, plus the betta turns into a riot, they love swimming around and exploring,little tanks bore them (which is why most people think they are boring fish) but once you get a larger tank... =0
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #33 
gypsydancer

Smile

As I have been able to afford the equipment I have been adding airstones to the 2.5 tanks. I have one male named Joshua who absolutely loves swimming into the bubble stream and floating to the top. He does is almost constantly and he seems to be getting great enjoyment out of it.
gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #34 
Indyfishy

Yep what everybody is saying is true, your betta needs to be seperated from the goldfish, it's too cold for him AND goldfish are notorious fin nippers. Your poor betta just doesn't stand a chance against them. Don't even consider getting him any tank mates until you have his health better, and have an appropriate sized home for him. Not to mention the goldfish, who probably need atleast a 30 gallon tank for the two of them, a 50 would be even better since they are going to outgrow a 30 fairly quickly.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #35 
Pataflafla

I'd qt your betta separately with a heater and 1 tsp/gal aquarium salt. Change his water 100% daily and redose the salt.

On the third picture of the first page- that gold shimmer doesn't look too good. Try shining a flashlight over him. If they look like tiny specks of gold, chances are he might have velvet. The only thing strange would be if the two goldfish didn't have it since it is contagious.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #36 
bettafish15

I don't think OP is coming back, it has been a long time.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #37 
Pataflafla

Unfortunately it seems so. Hopefully OP will come back and at least read through this to use it in the future.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote