Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 
mjoy79

Thumbs up Talked someone OUT of getting betta

One of the last times I was at Petco (getting my Giant HMPK), a man was with his little girl looking at the bettas too. After awhile he seemed to notice that I was looking at several of them and I had picked out Hurley (my purple/red giant hmpk). He pointed to one of the .5 gal containers on display below the bettas and asked me if it would be good for a betta. (I can't remember exactly what he asked). I said that those aren't good for bettas - they need bigger tanks that can be heated because they are tropical fish. I told him about my divided 20G that I had at home with 4 bettas in it. He was like "ok thank you" and left the fish area without any fish. I am glad I was able to save one or 2 bettas from living in a tiny container without heat. But I know that after I left I'm sure that more people with their kids came in and bought them with the .5 g containers because the LPS employee told them they were easy fish to take care of and just need this little tank to live in and to change the water once a month.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #2 
BettaGirl290

Well, hurray! you just told him valuable info about if your getting betta fish, on the other hand, there must be someway to get those things off the market, NO fish i know about can fit in one for long.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

I was actually surprise the other day when i heard a petsmart employee tell a customer buying a Betta that the Betta would be healthier in atleast a 2.5g with filter and heater.... i wanted to go give him a big hug!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #4 
mjoy79

wow really? I wish all Petsmart and Petco employees did that same thing. They should all be trained the same!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

I did the same for a woman once a long time ago. I was very young, maybe 12. Though I honestly didn't know how to keep bettas myself. I just told her that those mini-hex things were basically death traps for bettas and a waste of money.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #6 
Arez

When I got my Arez, the lady at Petco insisted that my Betta wouldnt like my 3.5 gallon tank because they thrive in shallow waters.. I let her know that any fish would enjoy anything more than a little tiny cute bowl. She also looked at me weird for buying a heater and even asked why. I wanted to ask why the hell are you working at a petstore and know nothing about something so simple as basic care for a fish?
Arez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

They do like shallow water, as long as it is like an acre wide! lol. Shallow does not mean tiny or dirty. They would thrive in water that was only a couple of inches deep but stretched for miles around them. I think that is truly their natural habitat.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #8 
LittleBettas

I got the chance to educate to!
Lol, when I got my new CT a girl was in front of me at line with her parents, she saw my betta and asked what kind of fish?
I told her he was a Betta, a Siamese Fighting Fish, she asked me where I was going to keep him, I told her at home, I have a empty 3 gallon tank for him, she asked how I had to take care of him, I told her I would feed him twice a day, clan his tank out often, heat his tank and make sure he had lots of decorations so he could be happy, but he was sick right now because the tiny cup made him sad so he would have to get beter first
She asked if I would take him to the doctors... I said there is no fish doctor here, but I know ow to make him better

She then asked me why he was kept in the cup if it made him sad... :(
I told her people didnt realize it made him sad

So she told me "well,I know, and I will tell them."

Then she told the cashier to give the fishies bigger homes cause they were sad,the cashier told her she would try

:)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #9 
mjoy79

awww thats sweet. +1 :)
Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #10 
Super Sly

I don't have any fish stories to tell...but i do know that bettas are naturally found in rice feilds in thailand
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote