Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #1 
Larsa

Dragonscale loosing color?

Hello all, I have a MG DSPLKT male "Shiro" whom I purchased at Petsmart a few weeks ago. He is in a one gal kritter keeper with some fake plants, rounded stones, and a bridge decoration that he loves to sleep under. Recently he has lost some of his "dragon-scale" color on his side. He is VERY hyper and always begging for food, so he is acting normal. I feed him 3 NLS Betta formula pellets and one teenee half of a bloodworm a day, giving him a warm water change of 80F every other day. From the photos if you look on his left side it almost looks like he rubbed too hard against a side of his bridge or his plants, exposing his black scale color underneath the sparkling blue scales. The plants don't snatch pantyhose and his bridge is made out of resin. I can remove them if thats a problem. Could the NLS be messing with his colors and is there any way I can restore his color? =(
Attached Images

Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

It looks like he's rubbing agaist something in his tank. Fish scales are covered in microscopic crystals, which is why fish scales shine. Dragons have more of these crystals than other bettas, which is why their scales appear thicker and shinier. If they rub up against something in the tank, the crsytals can fall off.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #3 
Larsa

Thank you for answering, omg! XD Yes, yes, it looks like maybe he had a tight squeeze through something and scraped a layer off, exposing his black under-coat scale pigmentation. I took out his plants and just left the bridge in there ( he sleeps on it and its large ) I know that blue, green, turquoise, and a few other colored bettas have like little guanine crystals that when they are refracted in light, gives off their shimmery appearance. My question is can his crystals that cause his blue color come back or are they gone forever now?? :/
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote