Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation HELP! His fins are clamped :(

Okay, so new rescue betta Nemphis. Came from dropsy tank where he and I thin two or three platys did NOT have dropsy. He is in 2 gallons, water is at 78 degrees, dechlorinated, cleaned today. He was fine until today where he is acting very lethargic and I made him move a little and noticed his fins are a lot more stiff than they should be! Should I float him in the 20 gallon where it'd be warmer and better to watch his condition? He has eaten 2 pellets today this morning, but not tonight. No signs of bloating, no signs of his fin rot progressing... When I got him he was very active, and eating very well.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #2 
Luimeril

ya got him from a tank of sick fish. he probably feels like crap. do you have any meds at all? going into this, KNOWING he came from a tank where everyone was sick, i hope ya do. can you get a good, clear pic of him?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

I agree that he is probably feeling like crap right now.

I'd say keep the temp at 78 so he's still in a comfortable range, but not high enough that, should it be a bacterial or fungal issue, anything has a chance to reproduce quickly.

Definitely keep him separate from any contact with your other fish, since you don't know what's wrong with him. Don't want to be risking any of your other fish by accidental contamination. Use separate every thing for him so as to not cross contaminate.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmm ok. Well in this town we have NO meds. Ich meds? Ha! Fin rot meds? Never seen one. Anything meds? You got bettafix (bad experiences) or mellafix. I'm going to the city Saturday (sooo close) I'll check their selection. Okay, so say he has dropsy - is it anti-fungus or anti-bacterial stuff I'm looking for?

And for now, would Epsom help a little?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I was fully aware when I got him it could be a struggle. The first three pictures you can see how he was when I first got him... fin rot making holes, and stripped down his dorsal fin. But now his fins are not extended like they were. I also watched him for like half an hour today. He often "yawns" wide, and extends his gill covers, not always when he yawns but randomly. Not flaring either... just... extending them. I have noticed his gills (cannot tell for inside) are scarring over as you will see in the pictures. He WAS missing scales on both sides of his face. I added a bubbler for him, just to add a little circulation and he sat there looking at it "flaring".... not moving. just sitting there. o_O

Then I added a thermometer and he investigated it. He won't eat now. He's taken a bloodworm in his mouth and spat it out. Then he'll look at the food and leave it.
His colors have gotten brighter if anything, just his fins are clamping, and curling (could be from fin rot healing) which I expected for the curling part... One thing though, when he is sitting on the bottom his gill cover is usually partially open on the left side, which I haven't seen in any of my bettas - even ones who have a damaged face plate, or are missing pieces.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

You have multiple bettas, it might be a good investment to order medicine online. :) Shipping isn't too expensive if you aren't overnighting it, so it might help you out in the future if you get them now!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

With the way he's opening his gills it sounds like he has ammonia burns. Lower his water level so he can breath easier, and add some tannins or some stress coat to soothe him =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #8 
Luimeril

his dorsal looks normal. Scout has that same strange shape to his. the curling isn't from the rot healing, it's from crappy water conditions.

i agree that you should get meds, if at all possible. someone with more experience could chirp up, but i know the ones most people keep are the Maracyn and Maracy-II and tetracyclin... i have that last one, myself.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I will get meds :) even check the city for them! since we do have PETCO, Petsmart, PJ's Pets, LFS store...

I've put the bubbler, a thermometer and heater in He was very curious of the new objects which is good
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

So, his fins are still clamped but since I added the heater he has been so much more active (didn't think temperature being at 23 (c) was good enough, did ya Nemphis ><). I believe he has eaten the one piece of bloodworm I gave him, when I wasn't looking And I am unable to get to the city for Saturday, as something has come up.