Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Talking This is Nemphis :)

So he came from a dropsy infested tank. Luckily he does not appear to have it and I intend to keep it that way! He's very active, very pretty. The pictures do not do his colors justice he's a light purple bodied betta, with blue fins ending in a pretty reddish maroon :) Top of his head is a reddish maroon too. He has bad fin rot though! His fins are withering away, and are becoming holey. But, in my care that'll be a thing of the past! Even fin rot bettas Shiloh and Reggie know this, and are slowly getting their precious fins back! He also seems to have scales missing on both sides of his face... o_O
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #2 
Larsa

awwww I like him! =3 He looks just like a veiltail version of my Ryu ^-^ Clean warm water, extra protein in his diet, and a dash of aquarium salt can get rid of the fin rot! :)
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Thanks! I've already found out he is an escape artist :p I had him in a small container so I could clean out his bigger container and I saw him "plotting" his escape... xD
Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #4 
Larsa

awwwww =) make sure he has a lid! that way he cant jump out! Leave space between the water level and lid so he can breathe!

I cant get over that he looks like my Ryu! Mine is also multi-colored with a maroon head ^-^ He's not a fancy betta but I love him so much! Sometimes I wish he was another tail type because his fins get all curly because my water is too hard :( here are some attached pics of him.

You should take more pictures so we can compare some more! ^-^ If you have a camera, use the macro setting- the tulip- and focus in on him real good =)
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #5 
mjoy79

Very pretty boy!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Thanks! and macro... ok :) I'll try it. if it doesn't blur when I stop it from using flas =h (messes up the color when I use flash for close objects)

He does look similar! Yeah my boy is a VT... his dorsal fin looks CT but that's from the fin rot D:
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

So, my poor boy is declining which was not unexpected, but kind of sucks. His fins are clamping, he no longer holds himself prettily, although his colors have amplified - and his appetite, and activity has decreased.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #8 
Larsa

0.0 hoooooow did you get a pic of him with white in the backround, slide a piece of copy paper under the tank? I like that look a LOT! ^♥^ Kudos on the last photo!!

hmmm.... do you know what temp his water is? Cold water can cause fins to clamp and bettas to act lethargic sometimes. He's a new betta, right? He might not be used to his new home yet. Sometimes, their new enviornment can lead stress them out and it takes a lil time for them to adjust. I dont think dropsy is contagious but keep your eye out for any strange bloating and pine coning scales. I dont see either from your fabulous birds eye view picture at the bottom! ;) the best you can do id keep his water clean and warm about 72F-86F is good, but not frequent water changes ( that might stress him out )

Last edited by Larsa; 10-19-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

hehe he is in a 2 gallon white tub :) And OMG it IS PERFECT FOR FLASH! I hate using flash since it messes the color up on the bettas, but this way, totally works...

I have to raise the temperature by 3 more degrees to help him, plus I am not sure if it is a mild sign of dropsy (the entire tank save a few fish, have it), or him just feeling sick, but I am wondering if epsom would help?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #10 
Larsa

I wouldnt use epsom unless he shows signs of pop-eye, swim bladder disease, strange bloating, or hasnt pooped in like a week. Its good with bacterial problems and a great laxative. Aquarium salt is good for external uses like fin rot, fungus infections, healing scratches, clamped fins, and providing electrolytes. I wouldnt use a lot of it because water evaporates, but the slat doesnt, and long-term AQ salt usage if you are always adding it can lead to some kidney damage :(

I would just let him chill for a few days in warm clean chlorinated water, and if that doesnt seem to work, add maybe a pinch of AQ salt. I am not sure how much is good to add to a 2 gal, but it shouldn't be a lot. Maybe someone else here would know =)