Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #1 
bllauben

New to it all

My name is Beth. Just recently bought a crowntail male betta. He is absolutely stunning!

I have a couple of questions:
1) My set up is a 3 gallon vase, filled with 2.5 gallons of water. I have a pathos plant and three small bamboo plants in there. River rock on the bottom. Do I need a filter? I plan on doing water changes regularly. I was reading I should do a 20 percent change every other day and a 100 percent change once a week. How accurate is that?
2) Are bettas carnivores or omnivores? I am all about feed a species appropriate diet. There is some debate in a raw food group I moderate as weither or not bettas need a regular plant source. I was told to feed them a meat based diet (no problem there having 3 cats who could care less about the betta). I was told to return the flake food (being it has dye in it, I am thinking that's a great reason NOT to feed it) and feed the dried meat foods made for fish and to feed the betta some fresh meats-finely ground-of course. Thoughts?

The vase is set up far enough away from the window NOT to be affected by temperature changes. I keep my apartment toasty due to my cats. There is TONS of light coming in from that window too. I am not concerned about my cats and the saftey of the betta. They took one look at him and walked away. Not interested. They want their cat nip and toys instead.

I want to do right by this creature. If am doing something wrong, please let me know.

I did buy water conditioner drops. I don't know if that means anything or if I wasted my money.

Thanks,
Beth
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #2 
bllauben

Forgot to mention, the betta has 2/3 of the top of the vase open for air. The plants actually take up a very small amount of room. My apartment is always at 75 degrees. I am considering adding a bubbler.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #3 
missm83

welcome ...here is a sticky that can help you with all the questions you have
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #4 
Micho

I would recommend getting an actual tank with a heater, filter is recommend but it can be optional. Bettas prefer horizontal swimming space rather than vertical since they breathe through their labyrinth organ, seeing how they breathe through that they will not need a bubbler and it'll probably annoy them.

Bettas enjoy a temperature range of 76F ~ 80F, the higher obviously the better because they're tropical fish. Your apartment temperature is around 75F seeing how water is usually colder than air, your vase water is around 72F I'm guessing which isn't a comfortable temperature for your fish.

Bettas are carnivores, their staple diets in the wild are mosquito larvae. The accept flakes, and pellets which should be their staple diet. Treat them with frozen bloodworms, daphnia, etc. I wouldn't recommend meat. . .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllauben View Post
My name is Beth. Just recently bought a crowntail male betta. He is absolutely stunning!

I have a couple of questions:
1) My set up is a 3 gallon vase, filled with 2.5 gallons of water. I have a pathos plant and three small bamboo plants in there. River rock on the bottom. Do I need a filter? I plan on doing water changes regularly. I was reading I should do a 20 percent change every other day and a 100 percent change once a week. How accurate is that?

You don't need a filter for bettas. I wouldn't put a filter in anything under 5 gal, because it's hard to get just the right current in a smaller area, as well as it takes up extra space. But that is my own preference. With that size it is highly recommended to do a 50% and a 100% per week, dosing for the full amount with water conditioner on the 50% rather then just what you take out.

2) Are bettas carnivores or omnivores? I am all about feed a species appropriate diet. There is some debate in a raw food group I moderate as weither or not bettas need a regular plant source. I was told to feed them a meat based diet (no problem there having 3 cats who could care less about the betta). I was told to return the flake food (being it has dye in it, I am thinking that's a great reason NOT to feed it) and feed the dried meat foods made for fish and to feed the betta some fresh meats-finely ground-of course. Thoughts?

Bettas are actually insectivores, but the best staple diet for them would be pellets made for bettas. For common medium sizes 4-6 a day spread between 2-3 feedings is ideal. For mini pellets, 8-10. The meat base you are talking about is the crude protein. The higher the % the better. You want the first ingredient to be fish meal rather then wheat. Frozen foods such as blood worms are something they love, and you can supplement a few meals a week with them over the pellets. Freeze dried is rather healthy, but it is best to use as a treat 1-2 times a week. Just make sure to pre-soak them in tank water prior to feeding as they can enlarge in the stomachs and bloat them. Some people use plain shrimp you buy frozen, you defrost with water and cut in very tiny pieces. But that is something else you would only want to feed every so often. People who use those usually uses them as part of a recipe for their own fish food. You don't want to use actual hamburger, pork, chicken, etc.

The vase is set up far enough away from the window NOT to be affected by temperature changes. I keep my apartment toasty due to my cats. There is TONS of light coming in from that window too. I am not concerned about my cats and the saftey of the betta. They took one look at him and walked away. Not interested. They want their cat nip and toys instead.

I want to do right by this creature. If am doing something wrong, please let me know.

I did buy water conditioner drops. I don't know if that means anything or if I wasted my money.

Not a waste, and it is a must when you add water into the tank. Always add in the full dose of the size of the tank, rather then what you replace. Always use tap water as well.

Thanks,
Beth
You will want to get a thermometer to make sure that the temp doesn't flux, and that it is between 78-82*F. You can always buy a mini heater for around $12 if you find that during winter the temp drops too low.

Do make sure there is plenty of space to breathe on top, as they do like to breathe ;)

When doing water changes it is best to float him in his cup that you purchased him in, in the vase for 20-30 mins, while every so often take some water out of the cup and replace it with tank water so he will acclimate to both the temp and the chemistry and not go into shock.

Good luck and congrats and getting bitten by the betta bug! Any more questions, feel free to ask!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #6 
bllauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You will want to get a thermometer to make sure that the temp doesn't flux, and that it is between 78-82*F. You can always buy a mini heater for around $12 if you find that during winter the temp drops too low.

Do make sure there is plenty of space to breathe on top, as they do like to breathe ;)

When doing water changes it is best to float him in his cup that you purchased him in, in the vase for 20-30 mins, while every so often take some water out of the cup and replace it with tank water so he will acclimate to both the temp and the chemistry and not go into shock.

Good luck and congrats and getting bitten by the betta bug! Any more questions, feel free to ask!
Been wanting a betta for a while. Finally came up with a name for our betta: Flash because he was the flashiest and most showiest of the bettas the store had. Utmost beautiful one too.

Signing up for this website, my husband comes in. "No. We're not getting one." Keep in mind, I signed up for this website a few hours after I got Flash. Bought the husband a massager and sent him on some errands. "Hun, go in the living room." *Husband leaves the room, storms back in.* "I said 'No more animals!'" "Hun, it's a fish. The cats are ingoring him. He's not taking up much space. His food bill is low. Not a big deal." I even got his sister to back me up. "It's just a fish on the counter. Considering your wife just gave up her Russian Tortoises and how much space those things took up, it's not a big deal." Had to give up my Boris and Sonya because my cat was buddies with them. The cat grew and we were afraid that with her bigger size, she was going to hurt them. Miss them.

I did buy a bubbler. Set it on low and he seems to love swimming in the bubbles. I got pellets. Meat based. The crude protein is 42 percent. No dyes in it either. Very little vegetation in them. My next two purchases are themometer and heater.

Do I need to buy aquarium salt? I was reading I should have it for "just in case." Then the lady was trying to get me to buy antibacterial drops just made for bettas. She said they would be better for infection if Flash ever got one.

As for tap water, I logicaly worked my way through that one. I thought distilled water, then I thought that it had all of the good stuff removed. Bottled water was not much better. Figured tap water is as good as I could get, as long as I got the heavy metals and chemicals out.

--Beth
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #7 
Myates

lol have your husband feed Flash a few times and he'll fall in love =P You can also tell him that you can teach them to jump out of the water for food.. that may entertain both of them lol

AQ salt and Epsom Salt (which you can purchase anywhere there is a pharmacy) is good to have on hand in case he gets sick. Usually those conservative treatments work really well and you won't have to mess with medications. With the proper water changes, and temp you will have less of a risk of him getting sick.

Tap water is the best water to use.. your water conditioner will remove any of the harmful elements tap has in it.

It sounds like you are doing great and I hope you have many happy years with him!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.Some pellet foods I would recommend are New Life Spectrum betta formula and OmegaOne betta buffet pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote