Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

I raise/house blackworms to use for my wild bettas as they prefer live food, and I prefer knowing the conditions my worms are housed in.

I just use an unheated 2 gallon tank with about an inch of gravel at the bottom. I use a small internal filter for oxygenation and throw in all my decaying Indian Almond Leaves for the blackworms to feed on.

I do a couple of water changes a week using water from my cycled tank and throw in some NLS flakes every so often. The worms can go through a surprising amount of mulm and leaves in a week.

So far fingers crossed, I have not had a single case of dropsy caused by feeding blackworms. Plus it's a guarantee I'll find my wilds' spawning after a good feed of them.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

I believe dropsy is more linked to brown worms than black worms. Although Linda Olson gave me some antibiotics when I told her I was feeding my fish black worms...I never had a problem with them. In fact juvie bettas LOVE them...I can only imagine how the wilds are.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

I think dropsy is caused more by the conditions some of the worms are housed in. I know some people are very against feeding live worms of any kind.

Unfortunately, all my albimarginata pair will eat is blackworms and frozen brine shrimp. However, they are thriving and have already spawned three times now. I keep finding all these fry in the main tank on top of those already in the breeder's net. I guess there goes my nice 30 gallon I wanted to use for some natives
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

I love live food...heck all my bettas ate were bugs all summer long and they did great out there!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #15 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Wow thanks for this!! I always drive 45 minutes away to the local fish store to buy my black worms, I had no idea they were so easy to cultivate! I am gonna try this out for myself. How quickly do they reproduce?
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I thought black worms were like tubifex (google pictures). But I was wrong. they look much bigger and are apparently easier to keep.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #17 
920fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
Wow thanks for this!! I always drive 45 minutes away to the local fish store to buy my black worms, I had no idea they were so easy to cultivate! I am gonna try this out for myself. How quickly do they reproduce?

No clue how fast they reproduce but i usually do 1 time feeding each week or every other week and still finds alot of them in their. The more you feed them the more they will reproduce base on the info i found online. I dont feed mine alot. Once in a while i just feed them shrimp pellets and raw meat.
920fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #18 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 920fish View Post
No clue how fast they reproduce but i usually do 1 time feeding each week or every other week and still finds alot of them in their. The more you feed them the more they will reproduce base on the info i found online. I dont feed mine alot. Once in a while i just feed them shrimp pellets and raw meat.
Thanks for this info!! I have never had a sick fish turn down black worms. They are like candy for fish LOL.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #19 
920fish

Another plus is the black worms would be safier if you breed them urself and petstore black worms are expensive for a little bag and they also tend to have tons of dead one.
920fish is offline   Reply With Quote