Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question Which plants are best for my sorority?

Okay I have a list of the commonly sold plants in the pet stores in the city (going there this Saturday!) And I am wondering which ones are okay... It's a 20 gallon and someone pointed out I needed taller plants :)

Cabomba plant: I haven't heard of this one, but it looks nice.
Hornwort plant: pretty sure some people on here have them
Wisteria: I know this one is compatible with bettas, I've heard people have them :)
Moneywort plant: never heard of it
kyoto plant: again never heard of it?
Anubius plant: I think someone here has them?
Medium sword plant: That'd be a tall one for them right?
Anarchis plant: don't think I have heard of it
Java fern plant: I know people have this one :)

My 20 gallon has purple gravel, that's smaller than my regular gravel. Any plants that don't need special care would be lovely... like, no special substrates and such :) I want to go in already knowing, and have heard your experiences with certain plants, then go in blindly. That way no "but the employee said" problems!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Anubis is easy, and nice wide broad leaves (well certain species). And something I haven't been able to kill! Anachris is very nice, but I Think they are fussy with lights. I haven't killed all mine, so that's a plus. Onion plants are supposed to be easy. Pennywort! I so recommend it, my lps got a bunch i, had no idea what it was, but I let it float and it's covering the surface and has provided bedding for up to four at a time!

OF course I will give a nod to moss balls, since they are fun.

Otherwise check out 3P's thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

Oh, and I had either water sprite or wisteria (Think it was the latter) and it just completely melted. At least I have happy piggy snails/shrimp.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

My background plants in my sorority:
- rush (basically just a bulb with rushes coming out of it, doesn't do much)
- ambulia (fluffier, softer, less illegal version of cambomba, which is not legal here)
- lacefern (tall, pretty, forms very dense jungles for brave fishies)
- elodea/anacharis (tall, pretty, grows like a weed and spreads along the surface, my fish love it)
rotala wallachi (I keep mine red with Flourish Iron supplements once a week and it looks absolutely lovely against all the green)

Mid-ground plants:
- anubias (love the flat hammock-like leaves, I have it on driftwood and on a terracotta pot)
- java fern (easiest plant in the world - I have one on each side of the tank and all their babies attached to a driftwood cave that now looks like a java fern bridge)

Foreground
- dwarf hairgrass (short, spikey, not my favourite but it looks great for people who keep it well, i.e. not me)
- brazillian microsword (a lovely dense grass with fat blades that my girls love to swim in, even though they know they get stuck)
- pennywort (short, cute leaves, I keep it in a little pot)

I also have a plant that I simply cannot remember the name of and haven't planted yet (no more floorspace! :p). I also have duckweed as a floating plant because the girls seem to love the cover it provides.

My plants are all just in normal (but large, which is bad) gravel. Smaller is better. I have roughly 1.5 wpg. I use Flourish twice a week, with Iron and Phosphorous once a week. I use Excel to treat black beard algae, which I've had a lot of problems with. :) It's very low-tech and low-maintenance but it provides lots of cover and keeps all my fish happy. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Thanks! :) oh... Poor Rose. The floating plant I have... Part has the stringy algae and she got stuck in it!!!! I'm probably going to have to trim off that part of the plant... I don't want my bettas suffocating because whatever that is caught them and acted like a net o.o
Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Luckily the plants are cheap (like, usually 2.50-4.50, some are up to 9.99) so I can stuff that tank xD
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #6 
Ajones108

Amazon swords are your friend for tall background plants. :) They need a strong root base though so make sure you have at least 2" of gravel.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Moved this for you. Not really about betta compatibility. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

eh sorry :) and thanks.

-sighs- won't be able to get to the city this Saturday... complication came up :(