Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #1 
kamsmommy

Question Prime not working?

I'm having trouble with my fish and I have a post over in the emergency thread but wanted to know if anyone else has had an issue with Prime not bringing down the ammonia level.

I bought an ammonia testing kit that has the vial and bottles of fluid. I tested water straight out of the tap and it was about a 1 I think (hard to tell which green it is). I put two drops of Prime in a gallon of water and it tested at .5.

I kept putting more in and retesting. I had to put in six times the amount before the ammonia would register under .25.

Anyone have this experience?
kamsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #2 
Nubster

I don't have ammonia in my tap but as far as chlorine mine works. I assume it does since I do larger 50%+ WC weekly and use Prime and get no signs of stress from my fish. According to the bottle though 1ml of Prime should neutralize 1ppm ammonia in 10g of water.

Last edited by Nubster; 10-19-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 
Gizmothefreaky

It says right on the bottle that for high ammonia to double the dose. I would say put in what you need to make it right. I doubt you can overdose that stuff.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

With products that also work on the ammonia like Prime...usually what you are seeing with the positive ammonia reading is ammonium the less toxic form of ammonia that the test products can't tell the difference...once the nitrifying bacteria kick in you should test 0ppm on the ammonia/ammonium......watch the Betta...as long as he is acting fine....what you are seeing is most likely ammonium......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #5 
kamsmommy

I was on Seachem's website today and read that about the good vs. bad ammonia. Ugh so much to learn for one fish.

He hasn't been good at all that's why I was doing all the testing. This morning he was still laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. I just got word from home that he is laying on the bottom but more upright and he has more color than he has had. So maybe he will pull through.

Thanks
kamsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How long have you had him and how did you acclimate him to the new tank water if he is new or you did a 100% water change.....

Have you tried any treatments.....if so, what.....

What are all the other numbers: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...if you have them....

What size is the tank, filter, live plants, temp, any other additives used besides the Prime, how much and how often are the water changes....can you post a pic.....also, any tank mates.......and appetite..type/amount food...

Also, welcome to the forum...is this your first Betta......
I have been in this hobby for near 40 years and I am still learning something new....its just part of the hobby......and what makes it so much fun....In my opinion....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Don't test the water for 24 hours after adding Prime, because it will give a false positive. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote