Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 
bkelizabeth

Thumbs down PETCO problems and feeding :(

So annoyed. My new little girl won't eat. I bought her late afternoon yesterday and tried to feed her this morning. Nothing. I called PETCO to find out what type of food they give their bettas and how often. I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised when the guy on the phone said they're only fed every 3 days. He copped a serious attitude when I told him that they should be fed every day and that's probably why my fish won't eat. I guess it's gonna take a while to get her into the swing of a healthy diet. Anyone run into this problem often? Any advice??
bkelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #2 
1983SS454

Give her some time, she's probably still stressed out. I had one take over 2 days to eat. The reason they feed them like that is because of the small cups they are kept in. I'm not saying it's right, but it keeps their water cleaner longer
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
Greenfish

you could try frozen or live food. Hope she eats sooner rather then later.
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #4 
Trobar

food soaked in garlic juice may work as well
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #5 
bkelizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983SS454 View Post
Give her some time, she's probably still stressed out. I had one take over 2 days to eat. The reason they feed them like that is because of the small cups they are kept in. I'm not saying it's right, but it keeps their water cleaner longer
I definitely understand what you're saying. Either way, it's cruel :(((
Yeah... you're probably right. She's perking up (she's in 75+ degree water.... the cup was only 70 :/)..... so I'm sure she'll be eating soonish!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #6 
mjoy79

I don't think its cruel compared to other situations. I wouldn't worry unless she's not eating for over a week. Usually coming from the store or after traveling, it takes a few days to get adjusted to the new environment and schedule. I'm sure she'll be begging you for food every chance she gets very soon!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #7 
bkelizabeth

:D YAY! Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #8 
Thunderloon

I always do my first feeding in the cup before I put them in their tank.
The store feeds them that way. If they don't get it, poke at the food with a pencil tip and make a lip-chomping at the fish.

Betta aren't stupid, just very thick.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #9 
Kytkattin

Considering how much Petco overfeeds, every three days probably saves at least half of them from rotting before they are bought. And bettas can go at least 2 weeks without eating! Mind you those are bettas that are kept in good health in the first place... But at least a week for the lesser loved ones.

Also, since you have a girl, could it be she is too tiny to properly eat the pellets you offer? The girl I just got is on the smaller size, so my New Life Spectrum small fish food pellets are perfect for her!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #10 
bkelizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Considering how much Petco overfeeds, every three days probably saves at least half of them from rotting before they are bought. And bettas can go at least 2 weeks without eating! Mind you those are bettas that are kept in good health in the first place... But at least a week for the lesser loved ones.

Also, since you have a girl, could it be she is too tiny to properly eat the pellets you offer? The girl I just got is on the smaller size, so my New Life Spectrum small fish food pellets are perfect for her!
Well, Petco feeds them the normal sized pellets, but I definitely wondered the same thing. She's in a tank with several other little tropical fishes and she's enjoying flakes very much. :) And yeah, I guess you're right about the Petco thing!!... It's "better" than the overfed fishes and horribly filthy cups.