Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #1 
EverythingNice55

Unhappy New Fish Plop Belly

Hi! My new betta Johnny has a plop belly. Sorry, I get get pictures. Whenever I take a picture of him he freaks out and acts strange. He has a strangely big round belly and it's freaking my sister out (she's the fish owner)... He is fed three meals a day, but we cut it down to two. His water does look cloudy, but when I change his water, he freaks out and acts strange. Please help! I have no idea what to do!!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If its just a enlarged tummy and he is otherwise acing his normal self...do what you are doing...cut back on food.....if he become symptomatic-along with the enlarged tummy-start to have buoyancy issues, stops eating and pooping, clamp fins, lethargic, hiding....then he may need treatment and unless your sister start taking care of the water-this may happen......

Acting strange/freaks out with water changes-can you give more details on this and how she changes the water...maybe we can help so that the water changes will not cause this.....

Need to know: tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, tank mates and how long she has had the Betta-supplies on hand for water changes....and has he ever been sick and/or treated-if so, details....

Try to post the best pic you can get.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-07-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #3 
EverythingNice55

Alright! Thanks a lot!

He has a tank like my other betta's Mr Jingles (see Mr Jingles' album and click on the picture of the fish container)

We change his water whenever it gets a little cloudy.

No filter, no live plants, no heater, no tank mates

Never been sick/treated

I'll try to get pictures! Thanks a million! He's getting a little better!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Good that he is getting better, however, it is hard to help without the answers to the question...changing the water only when it gets cloudy...it may.... be too late by that time and can often lead to health problems.....

I like the look/design of that tank.....how many gallons is it?

Good luck....
Old 11-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #5 
EverythingNice55

Great news! Johnny is all better! He was only being over-fed! My silly sister. She knows what she's doing now! Thanks a million, Oldfishlady! You were very helpful!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...good to hear he is better.....

Tags
plop belly