Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #11 
earthworm88

The coloring is absolutely normal. But the fins are definitely tattered, but I don't see any active infection happening at this point. Currently, how often do you change the water in this 1gal tank and by how much?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #12 
callistra

Actually, I misspoke. He's in a 2 gallon now for about the past 1.5 weeks. I do 50% water changes weekly.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #13 
earthworm88

Ok. In my experience, a 2gal unfiltered tank should have water change at least once 50% and 100% weekly. I usually change mine 100% every 3 days. I forgot to mention that the reddish color on his anal fin can be either due to photographic effect, but if you see that in person, it could be under some stress, which means if the water isn't clean enough, it is likely his fins will get infected.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

For a 2 gallon (I have some!) I usually have a 75%-100% water change every 2-3 days.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #15 
callistra

Wow that often? I would think moving the fish every 2-3 days would be more stressful than a week's change in water conditions.. I've tested the water after a week and the levels stay at 0, but I change anyway. I will change more often then and see if that helps.. hopefully also getting him into the 10 gallon will fix things. I don't plan on leaving him in the bowl much longer, but I didn't want to move him into the big tank just to have him get more sick and have to move him back to the bowl for treatment and sterilize and redo the whole 10 gallon setup again.

The reddish color is real and actually the photos don't show it as well as you can see it in person. It's not because of the camera and that was what I was really concerned about... that and the fact there are random holes in the middle of his fins and not just at the tips.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by callistra; 10-20-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I use a cup to scoop out my bettas :) less stress than a net (never leaving water!) and actually my one male Spartan has learned to just go into the cup on his own xDD you can do the same with a small bowl - taking in mind some bettas may jump out lol.
Even then, if you do ust a 75% water change, get a small tube (like a gravel siphon tube, or smaller like a bubbler tube) and use that with a bucket so he does not have to be moved. Most of my males nibble on it, or stay away from it minding their own business.

Getting into the ten gallon will help lots, and if you have a gravel siphon it's perfect for water changes. The fins will definitely clear up and heal in the 10 gallon so it's okay! as long as you acclimate him to the tank, you'll be fine :) clean water is the best cure for fin rot!
Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #17 
callistra

I currently have this siphon: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...ontent=XO06228 It doesn't suck as well as I was hoping.. I can see some particles go into the tube and some fall back down. Do you have a suggestion for another one? I don't need one so fancy as it connects to the tap at the same time as I use RO water in jugs and not tap water but I would like to find something that will actually suck all the debris up, hopefully without being too expensive. Also something longer where I don't have to keep my arms in the tank would be nice..
Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I got my gravel siphon from walmart, that has a gravel guard. I like it, all I use is that and the bucket and it works nice. Comes in different sizes too (length and width). Not sure on the brand >< lol.

You can use tap water for the tanks, as long as you use water conditioner. Even check the levels of your tap water before using it! Some places have harder water, softer water, higher ammonia/nitrite/nitrate...
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #19 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Wow that often? I would think moving the fish every 2-3 days would be more stressful than a week's change in water conditions.
It depends on how you do the change. I also use a cup to "suck" the fish into the cup. I never net or handle them. I wish I could train mine to quietly swim into the cup automatically, but no such luck But I have learned to do water change prior to feeding, once he is in the cup, I drop the pellet in there to distract him until he is ready to be put back into the ready tank 5 minutes later.

Quote:
The reddish color is real and actually the photos don't show it as well as you can see it in person. It's not because of the camera and that was what I was really concerned about... that and the fact there are random holes in the middle of his fins and not just at the tips.
Was the red part of his natural color, does it come and go? I have exactly the same type of fish and mine is normally blue unless he gets stressed and the red there becomes visible. The more stress he is (meaning he wears the "zorro mask" with stress stripes etc), the more obvious the red on his anal fin becomes.

I agree with Sena, clean pristine water is the number one criteria they need to be healthy. So I hope yours will get well soon!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #20 
callistra

Quote:
Was the red part of his natural color, does it come and go? I have exactly the same type of fish and mine is normally blue unless he gets stressed and the red there becomes visible. The more stress he is (meaning he wears the "zorro mask" with stress stripes etc), the more obvious the red on his anal fin becomes.
That sounds like my fish.. okay guess he's stressed. Tank is almost ready thankfully and I'll start doing 100% changes instead.