Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #1 
Fieldz

Question Cant find filter refil

I bought an aquarium called aqua kit 5.0 because its really good and all, but there is no refil for it. How can I improvise one?

Heres a draw.

http://imageshack.us/f/440/myaquarium1.png/

The water gets pushed in by that bomb, it goes out of a tube to the up part, touches a bag with activated coal, gets down and through a sponge and then back to the aquarium. I had to make a baffle because the filter is too strong even though I think it only filters some part of the water....

Isnt that perlon bag with activated coal inside useless ? The water doesnt goes through it but only touches the bag, atleast thats what I think.

Its a plug and play filter and its on for 2 months ( well, I turn it off when I clean his tank once a week ). How often should I change the refil which I will have to make by myself? I think I will buy a perlon bag, activated coal and do it myself closing everything with a needle and some string, and the sponge I will buy those for kids at the drugstore which say atoxic.

I will change every 3 months since its only for a betta and will be more expensive as I will have to make them by myself...

Say what you think, good or bad, doesnt matters. I want YOUR opinion.

Thanks!
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #2 
Nubster

Well...honestly...unless the sponge is falling apart there is no need to change it. If you do need to change it, you can maybe look at some filter pads at your LFS. You can cut that to fit. BigAls also sells house brand sponges to fit many applications and can also be cut to fit. I have some for my AquaClear filters. THey are super cheap and very good quality. Those are a couple options. For the charcoal, like you suggested, if the water isn't running through the bag full of charcoal making contact with all of it...I don't see how it could be working. You can buy filter bag that tie shut so they can be reused or you can get very cheap pantyhose from Walmart for like $.33. That will give you two bags for the price. You can fill them up, tie them off, and throw the whole thing away when you are finished. You could also re-use a few times if you wanted if you are careful to not snag them on anything and rip a hole in the hose. Keep in mind, you also don't need to run charcoal all the time if you don't want.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #3 
Fieldz

Oh okay. Thanks! Well, I might just squeeze the sponge once a month then haha
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #4 
Nubster

Yeah...that's all you have to do. When you do a water change, use the old tank water in a bucket/bowl and rinse and squeeze out the sponge and replace it in the filter.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

Does it pump the water up into a clear pipe with holes in it?

I think we've seen this before if it does.

Activated charcoal is porous and is manufactured from animal bone in such a way that the holes are large enough to let water through but will catch larger molecules in the pores. Its for filtration of heavier chemicals and only good for about a week per cup per five gallons. The reason it is included in a lot of the floss-and-carbon filter cards is because it compensates for the pollution in the manufacturing environment - filtering out a lot of the pollutants and oils involved in the manufacturing process that makes the filter. So if you can, the water is supposed to go through the floss first, then the carbon, then the bio-sponge.

You should be able to get sheets of floss from a local aquarium store, blue stuff in soft plastic bags. That and the sponge will be fine for the most part. You can put a little carbon in the mesh bag between the floss and the sponge.

But then again Aquaclear filters use a pair of sponges, you can go sponge all the way.

A huge bag of carbon is pointless.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote