Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #1 
shellsie

New to community tanks - help with tank load

Hi all!

I am new to community tanks! I have NOT set up my tank yet. I'm currently in the planning/research stage. I want to thoroughly look into everything before I buy, as I don't want to buy fish and not provide them the best environment I can.

I'm looking at doing a 10 gallon tank. Planted. Gravel substrate. Filtered (looking at the aqua clear power filter -110v). Heated (still looking for one).

Obviously, even with the filter and having the tank cycled, I'd need to do water changes. I'm planning on that.

Now that that's all out of the way.

The tank mates I've been looking into the most are:

Harlequin Rasbora
Ember Tetras
Celestial Pearl Danios
Pygmy Cory

I don't want anymore than 3 different tank mates with my betta. So 4 fish species total.

My questions are:

How many of each could I do? I understand that most are shoaling fish, and I want to have at least their minimum group size.

Is there a way to calculate tank load for planning purposes?

Are there any interesting fish that would be compatible with bettas that might work?

I really appreciate any advice you guys can offer! It's important to me that, whatever fish I get, they are in an environment that is suitable for them and that they can be healthy in.
shellsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #2 
ThatFishThough

Use Aq. Advisor for tank biload. Most shoals need a minimum of 6. :3 Let's let the experts step in here.
ThatFishThough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #3 
shellsie

You, my friend, are my favorite person. Ever.

Had no idea this existed!!!

Thank you SO much!
shellsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #4 
ThatFishThough

Hehe, thanks. :3

And You're Welcome. XD
ThatFishThough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #5 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Aquadvisor is great- to an extent.
Pygmy cories (or other small cory species) are great, quirky little guys that keep your tank clean, you could get 4-6 of those. Just make sure you buy sinking pellets to feed them.
Celestial Pearl Danios are really pretty fish, but they're definitely timid, I would say (based on my research) too timid to be a betta's tankmate.

Ember and Harlequin tetras are both fish that would be perfect, but I'm pretty sure a ten gallon could only take one school (6>), at least if you want the cories too. Or you could skip over the cories altogether and have both schools, or chose one and have around ten instead of around six.

There's lots of other options, but if you're honed in on those species I would just play with numbers- that's what aquadvisor is good for. Just keep in mind that it's conservative, and that since your tank will be planted it'll be able to support more fish then a tank without plants.

Last edited by THATDragonLovesBettas; 04-10-2016 at 09:17 AM.
THATDragonLovesBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #6 
Rennie Sky

I'd recommend going with one of the small cories and then either the ember or harlequin, if those are what you like for schooling species.

Cory really add a lot of interest to a tank and are some of my favorite fish. I'd actually go for habrosus cory instead of pygmy (pygmaeus) if you can find them. Both are small, but the pygmies tend to utilize the whole tank and mostly hang out mid level. The habrosus, sometimes called salt and pepper ( not peppered those are larger) mostly keep to the bottom of the tank. This would give you fish occupying different regions of your tank which makes things more interesting and gives everyone more room.
Rennie Sky is online now   Reply With Quote