Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #1 
fishyface323

opinions on sororities

I just want thoughts:
Do you think sorority tanks are a good or a bad idea?
Just for a guideline, five females in a ten gallon tank.
I'm thinking of not doing it, because I've heard a lot of negative opinions.
fishyface323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #2 
PieTime

It really depends on the individual personalities of the fish, but I've never had any issues with sororities. Just make sure you have tons of hiding places, and distribute food throughout the tank at feeding time.
PieTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #3 
Agent13
Reference Team

I find it to be a bad idea for several reasons . It's a phenomenon that's mostly only advised in this site for some reason . I've been keeping fish for 22yrs and never heard of betta sororities till a couple yrs ago in this site . I was floored to hear so many people trying it . Unfortunately a large majority if these tanks do crash from disease . It's a high stress environment for fish that wouldn't choose to live together .. Especially not in confined space . The logic behind this was spilled over from African cichlid keeping for some reason . The spreading aggression by overstocking and such . The largest issue with this is that they aren't African cichlids .

I keep the more rowdy aggressive African cichlids and I understand overstocking and have learned how and why you do it . This is a hierarchy they will naturally develop both in the wild and in your hone aquaria . This method works well with these highly aggressive fish . I find in my tank if an unfit cichlid is put in with them it's killed within it's 1st hr. While I know that sounds really bad but the truth is you'd rather face that then a stressed fish swimming around till it dies of disease . The disease would then cause havoc on the rest of your stock. This is what happens with betta sororities . They aren't equipped with the teeth that African cichlids have that help eliminate poor stocking choices quickly . You can't use a survival of the fittest mentality on fish that don't have the ability to show quickly who is the fittest. My cichlids are happily living 20fish in 72gallons. Even the fry of the tank boss is living very well amongst much larger fish .. He's my best example of how this setting can work. Cones out very proud of himself at feeding time very unafraid amongst a bunch if murderous larger fish . I have to say the premise behind this tank works fantastically and is very fun ... But should not be applied to such fundamentally different fish .

There are plenty other fun stocking choices for a 10g that wouldn't stress the inhabitants . A 10g nano fish tank is wide open to wonderful nano fish choices . Or a betta with a nice school of dwarf corys . The world of fish is too large for me to advise to keep anyone in less then desirable conditions

Sent from Petguide.com App
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #4 
fishyface323

When I first heard about it I was excited. I didn't know that bettas coul live together, or with other fish! Now I know that they're better on their own, and I hope people who start sororities know what they're getting into.
fishyface323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Agent13, the idea of betta sororities have been around for a while. A quick google search turned up posts on them (not on this site) from 2007 and as bettas have been kept and bred in captivity for several decades now, it is most likely not a new phenomena. Just probably one you are unlikely to hear about unless you are in the betta hobby.

I have mixed views on betta sororities. Some individuals find that perfect blend of females and have no issues at all. Others seem to face disaster after disaster, whether it is due to disease, aggression or issues with water quality.

I did enjoy my sorority when I had it. It was an unexpected ammonia spike that inevitably killed most of my fish off after a year or so of being set up. I did lose females from time to time, but I have always had mixed success with my bettas in general and when I kept fancy bettas none of mine seemed to live beyond a couple of years - whether they were alone or in a sorority setting.

The decision is really up to you. It can be devastating to lose a whole tank of fish, but that is the risk you run when you have a sorority. There are probably more cons to a sorority than pros, but I won't say that a sorority is 100% wrong, and that you are a selfish person for even contemplating setting one up.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #6 
Agent13
Reference Team

opinions on sororities

Thanks fishyface for bringing this discussion to the table . It's encouraging for me to see the number of people I've seen today listening and learning . I appreciate your honesty. I can see how tempting it would be coming here and seeing a number if people doing this . Truth is you're right .. Bettas are best alone... But I can't leave out that there are some fish you can put them with. The larger your tank the more options there are . However with eachother is rarely one I'd recommend .

LBF, I'd never say someone was selfish for trying this . I'm always one willing to do some experimental fishkeeping so that would be hypocritical .

Last edited by Agent13; 04-08-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyface323 View Post
I just want thoughts:
Do you think sorority tanks are a good or a bad idea?
Just for a guideline, five females in a ten gallon tank.
I'm thinking of not doing it, because I've heard a lot of negative opinions.
1: Depends. They are more challenging, and need a lot more work than just keeping the fish separate.

2: I have seen someone put 12 in a 10 gallon tank... I find, that 4 or 5 worked best for ME... I preferred a larger tank as the more space there is, the less stressful it is.

Just because someone had a bad experience, they never ever want to do it again or want others to do it. My personal experience? Good AND bad. I have had luck... then I had some real nasty luck. I had to find better ways to make it easier on me to keep them, and easier on them to get along. I made sure to have a minimum of 4-6 females, and liked having them in a 20-50 gallon tank... Stuffed full of live and fake plants, driftwood and décor... Plus a heater and a filter. I kept them very well fed so they didn't have to "compete" for food.

WARNING: Sororities are not for the weak at heart. Many females are even more tough and violent as some males. Some females can get hurt or killed. Some females MUST be alone. One gets sick... They all can get sick.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #8 
Agent13
Reference Team

I did a google search .. Interesting . I do see it's on other sites ... However I also find it's not going back further then 2006-2007? Perhaps I need to do a longer search . So this is a relatively new thing which makes sense as that's about how long a fad in fish keeping is generally around before it's phased out due to failure rates .

Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I wouldn't think you are getting an accurate sampling of betta keepers based on this forum alone (majority of members being from Canada/America). There also seems to be a lot of novice fish keepers on this forum, and I have seen many people set up sororities without understanding fundamentals of the hobby such as cycling a tank. As such, I would expect such tanks to end in disaster.

People over in Europe and down here in Australia also have sorority tanks. I'm not sure in non-english speaking countries what sororities are called, but I have seen them before on French and German fish forums.

Many breeders also house their sibling females together in sorority set-ups.

I did find an article dating back to 2002 and then others in the 2004-2005 bracket. I'm sure people were housing female bettas together before that. It may just be the name 'betta sorority' was coined at a later date.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I know someone who bred bettas back in '94. NO internet, no forums. Just whatever he could find in books. Trial and error, he finally got into a good rhythm. He kept the females together, with even some of the males, until aggression would surface - then the aggressor or "underdog" were removed. Other than that they were left together. in the 55 cycled growout.

But he never called it a sorority either. It was just normal to keep siblings together, except for the aggressive ones.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote