Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #1 
carefreesparrow

save my neon tetras!

Hey all, I've had my crowntail betta for about 2 months now, living in a 1.5 gallon tank and had recently decided to upgrade his home to a 10 gallon. I bought a tetra 10 gallon starter kit ( from Walmart ugggghh) and of course it sprang a leak almost immediately after setup ( do not recommend buying anything pet related at Walmart) so I returned it and got the aqueon basic 10 ( which works great minus not having LEDs but an excellent 4 stage filtration system) set it all up and ran the filter + heater for 24 hours, a steady temp of 78 was established and my betta was successfully introduced after about an hour in the bag slowly adding water. After a week I began looking at introducing a small school of neon tetras and a few ghost shrimp. I had introduced them exactly how I had for my betta and after some funny betta type spy behaviour he had more or less lost interest in the school of 7 tetras. However approximately every 24 hours one tetra disappears or turns up dead... Or nearly completely eaten by my ghost shrimp. Help!!
carefreesparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #2 
carefreesparrow

After the first death I had added some aquarium moss to help with the cycle.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #3 
Rosalinds

Maybe Neon Tetra disease? A friend warned me about that before I got my tetras. You should do a quick google search on that to see if your tetras display any of the signs. Also, I would advise quarantining tankmates before adding them to the community, just to keep diseases and such out of the tank. I'm keeping my tetras in a quarantine tank for two weeks before adding them. Just a thought for next time. :)
Rosalinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

I hate to tell you but your tank is not cycled and Neon Tetra are far more sensitive to the spikes your tank is experiencing than the Betta.

Here is a thread about cycling.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

At this point, there's not really anything you can do, unless you rehome them to someone with a cycled tank.
NeptunesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #5 
carefreesparrow

Thank you for the replies, definitially not cycled enough. I had recieved some poor advice from a friend saying that they were a hardy fish that could survive a tank through a cycle. I guess ill return the surviving three as I do not wish to doom anymore to complete a school. Shame though, my daughter and I really like them.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefreesparrow View Post
Thank you for the replies, definitially not cycled enough. I had recieved some poor advice from a friend saying that they were a hardy fish that could survive a tank through a cycle. I guess ill return the surviving three as I do not wish to doom anymore to complete a school. Shame though, my daughter and I really like them.
Once you are done cycling you can add more fish. I don't tend to recommend tetra because Betta fish don't tend to like their quickness.

Also, I would recommend rehoming your ghosites, I'm surprised they didn't drop before the tetra. They don't handle fluctuations well either.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #7 
carefreesparrow

What would you recommend as a tankmate? Mind you my betta has not exhibited any hostility towards the tetra just curiosity as he does with any decor that I have added. So I'd be concerned about adding any corys for example as they seem to get a little defensive when approached.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #8 
carefreesparrow

Zebra danios I hear are a little hardier but tend to fin nip as well.... Or is that accurate, I like schooling fish and my betta seems not to mind a bit of commotion, however I do want to keep him safe.. also the feedback I'm getting about the ghosties is that they have a higher tolerance then bettas as far as ph is concerned and of course given their diet a higher tolerance to ammonia but do need more oxygen in the water which I have with the aquarium moss and the HOB filter. ( in fact I thought one had died but it was just the shredded version I had seen :)

Last edited by carefreesparrow; 03-23-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefreesparrow View Post
Zebra danios I hear are a little hardier but tend to fin nip as well.... Or is that accurate, I like schooling fish and my betta seems not to mind a bit of commotion, however I do want to keep him safe.. also the feedback I'm getting about the ghosties is that they have a higher tolerance then bettas as far as ph is concerned and of course given their diet a higher tolerance to ammonia but do need more oxygen in the water which I have with the aquarium moss and the HOB filter.
Hmm.. well in my experience ghosties aren't hardy at all. I've never had them survive even the smallest spikes, and I work at a pet store and they are the least hardy of all the species we have in the tanks. They die more often than they live it seems.

As for tank mates, I really like Platys personally (if your daughter is young, you could get a Mickey Mouse Platy, my cousins children love my Mickey Mouse Platys). Danios do okay with Betta fish, but I have heard that they can annoy each other (similar to the Neon tetras). Also, even though 10g is minimum for Danios, I believe they tend to do best in 15+. I've also heard of people liking ember tetras as alternatives to neons.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #10 
carefreesparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Hmm.. well in my experience ghosties aren't hardy at all. I've never had them survive even the smallest spikes, and I work at a pet store and they are the least hardy of all the species we have in the tanks. They die more often than they live it seems.

As for tank mates, I really like Platys personally (if your daughter is young, you could get a Mickey Mouse Platy, my cousins children love my Mickey Mouse Platys). Danios do okay with Betta fish, but I have heard that they can annoy each other (similar to the Neon tetras). Also, even though 10g is minimum for Danios, I believe they tend to do best in 15+. I've also heard of people liking ember tetras as alternatives to neons.
Ooh, I like the platy idea definitially will look into that, thanks! Maybe I just lucked out with my ghosts, but ya they seem to be doing alright.... Maybe that will change once they don't get a feast of tetra everyday.

Last edited by carefreesparrow; 03-23-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Tags
betta community, neon tetra deaths, neon tetras