Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #991 
Chesh

CB, are you asking what normal behavior is for ADF, or asking after someone's frog in particular?
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #992 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
CB, are you asking what normal behavior is for ADF, or asking after someone's frog in particular?
Normal behavoir of ADFs?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #993 
Chesh

:) It really depends on the frog, their age, individual personality. . .as well as what their tank looks like (if it's planted with lots of hiding spots or not), and how many of them there are!

They seem to be more active when kept in pairs or groups, and also if there are lots of plants for them to play in. The sense of security that plants and other frogs bring seems to bring them out more, but a single frog on it's own will still be active - they're social, but don't NEED friends to be happy.

In my experience, they spend their days hanging around in plants, or floating at the surface, and become super active in the evenings and at mealtimes. If you feed them in the early evening (5ish), you'll be rewarded with a ton of activity until lights-out.

I'm not sure what to compare them TO as far as activity is concerned, but sure! They're active enough :)
Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #994 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow that is a lot different than the behavoir I saw.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #995 
Chesh

Saw where? At the shop? The frogs in the shops are stressed out - aside from travel and new water parameters (including the higher levels of nitrates that most fish shops have), they also have to deal with bright lights and open tanks - neither of which the nocturnal ADF are huge fans of. Many pet shops also have no idea how to properly care for or feed these little creatures, so there's also that. . . once you get them home and settled in a nice tank, you really see how much fun they are. Of course I'm biased - I just think they're the sweetest little things :)
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #996 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

At Halmark in those little .25-.50 containers 2 frogs and a plant. Glad they stopped selling them.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #997 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
I'm sorry - I'm not really sure of any reputable sellers online for the froggies. $12 bucks is a LOT, woah! PetSmart also sells for around the $3 mark. . . of course, you'll be paying far more if you have to add a $50 shipping for overnight delivery, which you'd have to do with the temps dipping. The only other thing you can do is TRY to get the frogs from the shop and do a preemptive treatment for Chytrid or (what I would do) watch and see - just because they HAVE ACF doesn't mean that they're 100% SURE to be ill, you know? Of course you'd be supporting a shop that is doing things in a way that isn't exactly right, but. . . *shrugs*

Sorry! I'm mixing up two posters - I need a nap ;) Good luck to BOTH of you in finding your little froggies!

lol yeah I am really not in favor of supporting a shop like that, and I dont have a large enough QT tank for treatment for them so I dont think it'll work out unless I go out of town and find them somewhere that way.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #998 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sad thing we only have one pet store here.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #999 
twissfish

I got an ADF as a present a couple of days ago along with Zoo Med Frog and Tadpole food. I put him in the 5 gallon with a gentle betta.

My first question:
Is this food alright for them or should I buy something else? So far I've presoaked them and fed them to him with tweezers. (That's the only way he'll eat because I have him with my betta and he rather enjoys it.) I've also given him thawed bloodworms.

My second question:
Should I get him a buddy? I read they are social and like to live in groups, but as of now he is by himself. Will he be alright by himself?
twissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #1000 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They love being in groups but can be kept alone. I would not add one. Or atleast remove the Betta first.