Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1001 
twissfish

Why would I need to remove my betta? He doesn't pick on the frog nor does he eat the frog's food.
twissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #1002 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean to fit more frogs. Plus some are great killers.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #1003 
twissfish

My betta is very gentle. I have housed him with tiny juvie RCS and he never ate one.

Besides that do you think he will be okay on his own without another frog? And is his food okay?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #1004 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am worried the new ADF will attack him. ADFs will do well on there own.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #1005 
Chesh

Twiss. . . CONGRATULATIONS on your new little Froggy!

ZooMed Frog and Tadpole bites are fine for the frog, as long as s/he willl eat them! Pre-soaking them is a great idea, and you can also supplement the pellets with brine and bloodworm. . . wet frozen, not freeze dried. They'll eat almost anything meaty. Feeding with tweezers (or by hand or with a turkey baster) is fine, too.

It's fine to keep him with a Betta, lots of people do. The main concern here, aside from aggression from the fish (which doesn't seem to be a problem for you!), is that the frog gets his fair share of food and the Betta doesn't get overfed. As long as you're feeding with tweezers, this shouldn't be an issue - just keep it in mind. If they aren't fed by hand, ADF are slow and messy eaters, the Betta (or any other fish) would easily eat everything before the frog has had a bite - again, not a problem if you're feeding by hand (or tweezers)

ADF ARE social, but they aren't like shoaling fish - they do perfectly fine on their own. You may see more activity from them when they're kept in groups, but an ADF alone will be perfectly happy and content. If you DO choose to get another ADF, you will have to move up to a bigger tank. You could keep 2 ADF in a 5g only, or 1 frog + 1 Betta - but anything over that will require a larger tank size.

To the best of my knowledge frogs don't hurt Betta fish, lol! I've read the occasional tale of one latching onto a Betta's tail thinking it was food, but they figure it out pretty quickly, and let go. Not sure where that idea came from - ADF are really sweet little creatures, and have no teeth, lol!

Hope this helps! '

ETA: In case I read that wrong, ADFs do NOT 'attack' other ADF, either. . . females can get pushy at meal times, and when they feed, since they're so blind, they DO have a habit of accidentally nomming on the others flippers and noses, but again - no harm done, and a quick release when they figure out what happened. Silly frogs...
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #1006 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean ADFs attacking Bettas.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #1007 
Chesh

I don't think it's really anything to be overly worried about - FAR more likely that the Betta would go after the frog, from what I've seen. . . Personally, I prefer to keep ADF in a species-only environment, but as long as the betta is nice about it, and the owner keeps a close eye on their behavior, and makes sure everyone is fed properly, it should be okay :)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #1008 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say 2 ADFs and a Betta in a 5 gallon is overstocking.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #1009 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
If you DO choose to get another ADF, you will have to move up to a bigger tank. You could keep 2 ADF in a 5g only, or 1 frog + 1 Betta - but anything over that will require a larger tank size.
Agreed.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #1010 
twissfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Twiss. . . CONGRATULATIONS on your new little Froggy!

ADF ARE social, but they aren't like shoaling fish - they do perfectly fine on their own. You may see more activity from them when they're kept in groups, but an ADF alone will be perfectly happy and content. If you DO choose to get another ADF, you will have to move up to a bigger tank. You could keep 2 ADF in a 5g only, or 1 frog + 1 Betta - but anything over that will require a larger tank size.
Thank you, Chesherca and ChoclateBetta, for all your help! This is what I was mainly worried about. I would never have bought a pet without having fully researching and first setting up their home. He was, however, a gift and was just too cute to pass up! If this is the case, then I'll keep my lone ADF with my betta. They seem to get along fine and neither pays attention to the other. My betta is rather lazy and spends most of his time towards the middle-top. I plan to always hand feed him so I'll make sure the betta gets none!
Again, thank you!