Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #1051 
Chesh

I'm sorry, Watty! I just don't know enough about medications to really be comfortable with offering you advice. All I know is what I've read/seen from others battling these things, and they're a tough lot to kill. Maybe Gizmo would have more advice to offer you - she's been keeping Betta for a much longer time than I have, and I know they can be really sensitive to medications. All I would say is whatever you try, you should move the frogs before you do. They tend to be very sensitive to many meds, and to the best of my knowledge, are NOT carriers nor are able to become infected by most, if not all, parasites that affect fish. Their systems are too different, and parasites tend to be fairly host-specific as a general rule. . . I really wish I could tell you something more. Hopefully it's a GOOD sign that he's doing so well. Maybe you caught it early enough to knock them out before they get terrible. . . I've read of users using a med by Jungle Labs on the food - but the problem was that the fish wouldn't eat the stuff, so it really didn't do as much internally as they had hoped. It's a really nasty parasite, and tough to get rid of, so I'd go with the strongest med you can to get rid of it asap, and keep the substrate as clean as possible to avoid re-infection. . . *sigh*
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #1052 
LittleWatty

The reinfection is why I wanted to treat the whole tank. Use something that will kill the worms that are in the water/substrate and in my fish. I've only been able to get my hands on one type of medication so far :( I'm going to use it on his food tonight in hopes of at least making a little progress, even if it doesn't clean out his system completely. I'm going to look around online to see if I can't find any of the stronger meds, and get them as soon as I can. I asked my resource at Petco (who actually knows her stuff) but she had never encountered these damnable worms before and was clueless.

I'm looking to get some Levamisole from online right now. Is Levamisole Hydrochloride the right stuff? I've read that the pure powder is the best stuff, and to avoid anything with a lot of sugar or other additives.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #1053 
Chesh

To the best of my shaky knowledge, yes. . . and you should be able to find it on Aquabid or Ebay. If you need help with dosing and such, Mikaila31 knows far more about this med (and such things) than I do. . . I wish I had more to offer you!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #1054 
LittleWatty

Thanks for your help anyway, its really appreciated :) I'm going to use the Tetra meds I got for now, until I can get my hands on some Levamisole HCl. Crossing my fingers! And toes! And everything else I can.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #1055 
Chesh

ME TOOOOOOOO! Please keep us posted. *worries* Hope everything works out :/
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #1056 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I hope they do well.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #1057 
LittleWatty

I've officially started treating Tintri as of a few hours ago. Frogs are in their own little tank temporarily, so they are avoiding the stress of medications. I added the Tetra Parasite Guard tab to his tank, and also presoaked his food for the night in water that was dosed with the Tetra meds. Hoping that'll at least keep them in check until the medicated food I ordered comes in. Its treated with Levamisole, so I'm hoping it'll kick these suckers where the sun don't shine and give me back my fish! It's being shipped first class, so it should be in by Tuesday. Wish I had ordered it yesterday, then it might have come in by today. I just didn't realize anything was wrong yesterday... ah well...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #1058 
LittleWatty

As a pick-me-up, I took some more pictures of Tubby and Skinny while they're in the temporary tank. Its a rather small tank (but the only thing I have on hand at the moment), so they don't have nearly as many places to hide. Thus... easier pictures! Most of these were just after feeding time, so they're both a little fat.

No change with Tintri overnight. Might be getting some real levamisole (not a medicated food) from someone on TFK, which is a plus.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #1059 
Chesh

HOORAY FOR FROGGIES. . . and hard-core de-wormers! Sounds like you're on the right track - keeping fingers crossed for your poor little fishy. :D
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1060 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Those frogs are adorible.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote