Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #1071 
LittleWatty

Well... things just keep getting "better and better." I'm fairly certain Sonas (avatar pic) has Dropsy :( I noticed he's been bloated more than usual lately (he's been rather bloated ever since he ate those ghost shrimp a few weeks past), and tonight when I went to see if he would eat, I noticed his scales were pineconing. *sigh*
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #1072 
Bigj713281

Do y'all have problems eating that you're betta is eating your frogs pellets
Bigj713281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #1073 
LittleWatty

When my frogs were with my betta, I had trouble with it all the time. He figured out the feeding schedule quicker than they did. What I did to curb that was I put him back in his cup and floated him in the tank while I fed the frogs. After about a half hour to an hour, he'd jump out of the cup and be back into the tank, but usually the frogs will have finished eating by then, so it wasn't too big of a deal.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #1074 
Chesh

Oh man, Watty. . . I'm so sorry *hugs* It's always one thing after another when fish get sick. I REALLY hope he pulls through all of this.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #1075 
LittleWatty

I'll probably lose him, since I can't afford to go get any new meds for this, and I think I caught it too late, but I'm doing everything I can to make him comfortable at least.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #1076 
Chesh

I'm so sorry. . . it isn't your fault, you know he's had these worms for much longer than he's been with you, and it's very likely that the rest of his problems are a direct result of the infestation. At least you know that you gave him the best life you could, and that he was happy while he was with you. . . Gah! Watty! I'm just so SAD for you and your little friend. I wish there was something we could do to help. Seeing your fish suffer and knowing that there really isn't anything to be done is the worst. What meds would you even be able to use for dropsy? I was always under the impression that there wouldn't be very much you could do for that, except maybe epsom salts?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #1077 
LittleWatty

I was talking about Sonas (dropsy) not Tintri (worms) in terms of not being able to do much more (just to make sure there was no confusion of fish!). For Dropsy, I found that you need anti-bacterial meds like Maracyn I and II or Plus, and epsom salts. Its a really tough disease to battle, since by the time you see symptoms the organs have already begun to fail. I'm just doing all I can now to keep Sonas comfortable while I direct the rest of my efforts to get Tintri healthy. Sonas has always been a bit... strange, in terms of health. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. All minor, but still. He never really seemed fully healthy. I might keep my eye out for another Black Devil male once he passes, since I'll have an empty tank. Black Devils/Orchids, particularly CTs, are my favorite.

So long as no other fish get sick, I might be able to beat these damned worms.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #1078 
Chesh

Oh, yeah... I'm sorry! I missed that it was a different fish. Gah! What a rough week!!! You're right about Dropsy, it is a hard one to beat. One thing worth mentioning is that the Maracyns are good meds to keep on hand, as they are safe to use with ADF as well - and with those guys, once you figure out that there may be a problem, it's almost too late to help them, so good to have froggy-safe meds on hand. Learned this when my baby got sick with that fungus, poor thing :/

I wish you luck on your battle - again *sigh*
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #1079 
LittleWatty

I've been trying to rebuild my bank account, otherwise I would probably have more meds on hand. I'm pretty sure Petco will have the Maracyn and a few other meds once I can afford them. I'm saving up for after school when I'm going to be moving half way across the country, and I've been struggling with that since I started. Too much stuff that needs to be bought!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #1080 
LittleWatty

Lost Sonas sometime during the night... at least now he's no longer suffering, and I can now focus all my attention on Tintri. Swim in peace, my little buddy.