Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #101 
Gizmothefreaky

That is amazing news!! I hadnt been able to find much info on that, so i must thank you for getting it!! I wish there was a way to put this on the front page. lol!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #102 
LionCalie

Wow! Thank you very much for sharing all that information, Chesherca.

Update on my ADF adventures:

I took Brutus out of the 10 gallon. He went back in his 5 gallon, which he is perfectly happy being in. The froggies became so much more active with him gone. I've been hand feeding them frozen bloodworms... so adorable!

I did research on what kind of fish would make good tank mates for ADF's. There was a really great website I found dedicated to their care specifically. They stated Guppies and Oto cats were the best choices. So I went to our LFS and got 3 gorgeous male Fancy Guppies. I also got one juvenile Oto cat, mostly because the 10 gallon gets a lot of brown algae, so plenty to eat.

So far so good!
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #103 
dramaqueen
Banned

Fantastic info, Chesherca. I would love to get a couple of ADF's but I'm not sure if I could keep them alive.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #104 
Chesh

Heehee, thanks gals! I'm glad I didn't totally bore you with my enormous post! Gizmo, your first page is perfect just the way it is! Without it, I'd never have started researching on the fungus in the first place! Hopefully, just because it's here, it will be more likely to come up when people are searching for help. I know I've had dismal luck trying to find information online regarding these adorable little froggies, not just on Chytrid, but care in general. Even on forums dedicated to frogs, info on the African Dwarfs seems to be sparse. Not sure why, as they're so commonly available in pet-shops.

Dramaqueen, I'm a COMPLETE aquarium novice. Everything from cycling, to fish, to frogs is a totally new world to me right now. I've been learning - as much and as quickly as I can, and have kept not only my fish, but my little frog alive for two whole months *CHEERS* (yes, this IS amazing!), and brought them all safely through an accidental fish-in cycling process (I didn't KNOW! *cries*). Not only that, but poor Speckles also survived a very traumatic mishap with my aquarium filter while he was living in the community tank. All this to say. . . believe me, if *I* can keep one alive, you can totally rock it! They're actually not that difficult, though they do require a bit of specialized care. . . but then, so do many fish! If you love them, have one! You'll be glad you did - they're fantastic little pets!

Calie, I'm so glad that your froggies are happier with Brutus out of the way! Isn't hand-feeding so FUN!? It can get tedious when you HAVE to do it every day to keep the guppies at bay, but I was sooooo super excited the first time Speckles swam right over to my hand and started chowing down. *luffs* I just finally got my Speckles into his 5 gallon aquarium FROM the 10 gallon with 4 guppies, lol! I'm doing it in reverse. . . good luck with your newest babies, and keep us posted on how they're all doing!

Last edited by Chesh; 03-18-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #105 
djembekah

i am really enjoying this thread, even though i'm re-planning and re-planning my stocking plan xD maybe i wont have them in my 29 gallon, but i am totally interested in having ADFs.

Someone told me recently that they are happiest in, like, schools? of 8+? is that true? i know people have been and ARE very successful keeping them alone or in pairs, but do they like a community of their own species?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #106 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Wow! Thank you very much for sharing all that information, Chesherca.

Update on my ADF adventures:

I took Brutus out of the 10 gallon. He went back in his 5 gallon, which he is perfectly happy being in. The froggies became so much more active with him gone. I've been hand feeding them frozen bloodworms... so adorable!

I did research on what kind of fish would make good tank mates for ADF's. There was a really great website I found dedicated to their care specifically. They stated Guppies and Oto cats were the best choices. So I went to our LFS and got 3 gorgeous male Fancy Guppies. I also got one juvenile Oto cat, mostly because the 10 gallon gets a lot of brown algae, so plenty to eat.

So far so good!
Only thing i can add to that is otos are schooling fish, so get a few more, and you should be good! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Fantastic info, Chesherca. I would love to get a couple of ADF's but I'm not sure if I could keep them alive.
Frogs are easy!! XD Its the bettas that give me the most trouble. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Heehee, thanks gals! I'm glad I didn't totally bore you with my enormous post! Gizmo, your first page is perfect just the way it is! Without it, I'd never have started researching on the fungus in the first place! Hopefully, just because it's here, it will be more likely to come up when people are searching for help. I know I've had dismal luck trying to find information online regarding these adorable little froggies, not just on Chytrid, but care in general. Even on forums dedicated to frogs, info on the African Dwarfs seems to be sparse. Not sure why, as they're so commonly available in pet-shops.
Yeah, that is some of the same things i was running into... I joined a frog specific forum, and still noone knew anything about them. bleh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
i am really enjoying this thread, even though i'm re-planning and re-planning my stocking plan xD maybe i wont have them in my 29 gallon, but i am totally interested in having ADFs.

Someone told me recently that they are happiest in, like, schools? of 8+? is that true? i know people have been and ARE very successful keeping them alone or in pairs, but do they like a community of their own species?
I am so glad you are enjoying the thread!! :3 Keep us updated on the tank.

They will be happy with any number you put them with, be it one or eight. They are playfull, so the more the merrier. lol! They will play and chase and maybe even sing. It is all up to you how many you get.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #107 
Chesh

PICTURE TIME! (indulge me)

He's just so DARN cute, I can't help myself! So here's some pictures of little Speckle enjoying his first meal in his new 5 gallon tank. If you look at his back left flipper, you can see where the webbing is torn :( The good news is that it doesn't seem to be bothering him in the slightest bit!

Enjoy!

Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #108 
djembekah

Oh my gosh, Speckle is the CUTEST thing. I love him :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #109 
Gizmothefreaky

Lol how cute!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #110 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
Only thing i can add to that is otos are schooling fish, so get a few more, and you should be good! :3
Ugh, of course the websites I found when researching didn't mention that. They are definitely schooling fish though. Sadly, if I add anymore my tank will be overstocked, according to the aquarium stocking calculator I use.

Chesherca- Amazing pictures!!! Speckle is too cute.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote