Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1141 
Neight

Just a quick question! If I have a divided into two ten gallon, filtered and heated, the whole shemozzle, could I house a betta on one side and a frog or two on the other? I think I might even take the ten gallon for frog alone, undivided, but at the same time, I want my betta who is in my community tank to have some peace of mind and a place to build bubble nests where they aren't destroyed by insolent platies. Any suggestions?
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #1142 
Chesh

Yep! A divided 10g with a frog on one side and a fish on the other would be perfect! I'd put the frog on the side with the filter, if possible - they really are messy little guys. My filter broke last week and I was SHOCKED at how much poo one tiny frog can make in a 10g alone! O.o
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #1143 
LittleWatty

Unless your betta is really agressive, you may not even have to divide the tank. My frogs are in a 10 gallon with my boy Tintri, and I haven't had any trouble beyond my betta trying to eat their food. That's easy enough to overcome though. If you would prefer having it divided, then Chesh has the right of things ;)
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #1144 
Neight

Kaiser certainly isn't aggressive, that's for sure! Well, he's only aggressive with my male platy, who he torments sometimes, but he is fine with my balloon molly and the girls. The only real concern would have is feeding them, because while he wouldn't hurt them, he would certainly love their supper.
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #1145 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd test it without the divider but keep one handy if it's not working out.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #1146 
Gizmothefreaky

Okay wait? Maybe I read that wrong... But how many other fish do you have in your ten gallon? I saw mention of at least a platy and Molly and 'girls'? Do you have female bettas in with him? :/

I apologize if I sound bitchy, I have the flu.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #1147 
Neight

Not at all nasty! I have a male platy, and two females, plus a male balloon molly I got stuck with {They wouldn't let me return him because there was nothing wrong, what the hey?}, but the molly is being rehomed. I know they need much larger tanks. So total, my ten gallon has three platies {1:2, sadly my other female died giving birth}, one male betta and a male balloon molly.
I'd like to take the male betta out of the community tank and have him in a divided tank with either an ADF or two, or undivided, if all goes well.
EDIT: The frogs would not be going in the community- they would be going in a new ten gallon I recently repaired.

Last edited by Neight; 01-04-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Spelling Error + Adding Info
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #1148 
Chesh

Sounds like a good plan to me! You'll have to let us know how everything works out with it!

In my world, Freckles is doing really well in the 55 gallon. He had to actually learn how to swim it - neat to watch him adapt from a frog and snail only 10g to a 55g with 29 other fish!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #1149 
LadyVictorian

Guess who stopped eating again...Bilbo. He was doing great only feeding him every other day but the past week he hasn't been eating that much. I can only get him to eat 1-2 worms or shrimp within 3 days and I'm not sure what's wrong. The only thing I can think of is that i removed my betta from the tank so he can recover from his tail biting frenzy. I tried feeding Bilbo his bloodworms today and he only ate two. In fact he refuses to eat shrimp anymore as well both brine and mysois so when I can get him to eat it's just a few bloodworms which i know isn't good for him. I turned the temp up hoping to jump start his metabolism and get him to eat more but nothing. He's pooping normal so that isn't the issue, nothing has changed in the tank other than removing my betta, and he doesn't appear to have anything physically wrong with him.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #1150 
Gizmothefreaky

If you can get your hands on it, try live food.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote