Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #1151 
LadyVictorian

I have brine shrimp but i think they tend to be too fast and too small for him. He will go for them but they move out of the way or Aquarius would pick them off first. If he's alone do you think it's more likely he will get more of them?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #1152 
Gizmothefreaky

Try putting him in a smaller container first?
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #1153 
LadyVictorian

would a 1 gallon work?

I managed to get him to eat 2 more bloodworms, not sure how long until I can consider him well feed after 2 weeks of not eating good.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #1154 
Gizmothefreaky

Well they can go a little while with no food, but if you put him in something smaller while you feed him he is more likely to get the food. :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #1155 
Chesh

Hey froggy-lovers! I just wanted to let you know that I put up a HUGE post on my 55g tank thread about my little Freckles, and how he's doing in the tank - lots of pics and a (crappy) video, if you're interested!

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...8/#post1396458

:)

It's been quiet around here. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #1156 
LittleWatty

It has... We'll have to put a fix to that. Cute froggie pic spam!
P.S. I absolutely LOVE your tank. I have tried and tried to get a natural looking tank, but it never works quite right :(
P.S.S. it was adorable seeing Frecs randomly appear and just swim around casually. He seems to be loving that tank! Except maybe the current

Added the cup photo from when I last cleaned the tank so you could see the size difference. Both are obviously mature, since I had tadpoles (though, sadly lost all of them ) but Skinny is still so tiny!

Vote: Should I keep the names Skinny and Tubby/Fatty, or should I think of something else now that I know the sex of them? XD
Attached Images

Last edited by LittleWatty; 01-19-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Adding more pictures!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1157 
Chesh

AWWW! CUTE FROGGUMS!!! You CAN'T rename them now! Those names are with them for life! Even if you did rename them, you'd always think of them as Tubby and Skinny on the inside, lol! They both look like the picture of health to me. Natural variations will happen, just like with people, but they both look bright-eyed, well fed, and . . . healthy!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #1158 
LittleWatty

Oh, they definitely seem healthy! I just find it funny... they're the exact opposite of what is to be expected XD

Shortly before I took the last batch of photos, Tubby was floating at the surface. Just kind of hanging out in zen mode... I tried to get the picture, but he darted too the bottom while I was fetching the camera. Sigh... he doesn't like the camera as much as Skinny
Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #1159 
Chesh

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on Becoming. That tank has been my baby. . . I'm obsessed with her (yes, my tank is a her) and I've always thought your tank was nice with all the Java ferns and moss in there. Naturally planted tanks can be tricky, but if you figure out the right balance - and manage to KEEP it there - everything runs smoothly, more or less. It's that essential balance that can be a trick to get.

Frecks really does seem to be loving all the room to play around in . . . That video was taken in the first few days of him being in the tank, it was really amazing to see how he actually had to 'learn' how to swim across such a long/tall tank, and his swimming has really gotten MUCH stronger over the few weeks that he's been in there. It's pretty amazing. You can see him in the full tank shot kind of flipping back and forth on his way across the tank - he doesn't do that nearly as much anymore.

As far as the current is concerned *giggle* It caught him by surprise over the first few days or so - the HOB filter on the 10g was always set a a low output, and the surface kept fairly calm and covered with floating plants - WAY different from the canister filter in the bigger tank. But it's amazing how quickly he figured out where the surface is calmer, like the 'dead' spot behind the spraybar, and found all of the places at the surface where he can chill out - like the driftwood that goes to the top of the tank and the floating plant-ball. At this point he often can be found intentionally (looks that way to me!) 'riding' the current to the opposite side of the tank - and he's sure to stay under it on his way back - IF he isn't fooling around and playing in it, that is. So neat to watch him interacting with the community, though I still have my reservations about keeping him in with the rams, so far so good, and he WILL give 'em a nip if they bug him. He's tougher than I realized! Fingers crossed that all goes well, the 10g is up and running still if I should need it. :)
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #1160 
LittleWatty

Its the balance I struggle with. I can never seem to keep any of my plants alive for very long. The moss is the only thing that's been consistent! Plus, I always seem to get bombarded with this type of algae or the next, even if I limit light time (plus no natural light) and fertilizers. I can only keep them in check if I've got some sort of algae eaters like my otocinclus in Leo's tank, and Marty (my zebra nerite) in Féileacán's. Even still, I can't quite get rid of the stuff! I'd experiment more, but I can't afford to keep buying plants and ferts, only to get overrun with algae and/or lose all my plants. Ah well... I guess I'll have to make due until the day when I'm rich and can afford such things!

I remember when Tubsters and Skinny were getting used to the 10 gallon. Skinny got caught in the current and was pushed behind the filter once (since its baffled with the plastic bottle, the current goes two ways, and one is right by the glass). I got her out pretty quick and haven't had an issue since. I'd love to get them in a bigger tank, but I have a hard enough time making sure they eat when its only Tintri that I have to worry about! XD