Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #111 
Chesh

heehee, thanks! I think he's the cutest thing to ever live underwater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Ugh, of course the websites I found when researching didn't mention that. They are definitely schooling fish though. Sadly, if I add anymore my tank will be overstocked, according to the aquarium stocking calculator I use.
That is a total bummer! Are you able to return him to the fish store? Most have at least a 48-hour return policy

Good luck keeping those guppies slender and not overfed! Mine have gotten so fat since Speckle was rooming with them in the hospital tank. They aren't getting any food for TWO days!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #112 
Gizmothefreaky

Yeah, i tried to keep otos once, but they were in single settings, and they never did well... ^^; You could probably get away with a couple more if you upped your water changes and the size of your filter.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #113 
LionCalie

I went ahead and took the Oto cat back to the LFS since they don't do well alone. Thankfully the fish store was more than happy to take the fish back and they apologized for not mentioning they don't do well at all when alone. So that was good.

My female frog decided to shed today! I was concerned at first because she was rubbing on everything, for reasons unknown. Then I noticed the shed skin coming off her hindquarters. I will admit it looked kinda gross, but I still found the process fascinating.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #114 
Chesh

haha! It IS disturbing to watch the first time. . . it's a fairly violent process. I had the same reaction as you did, then I couldn't stop watching until it was said and done! Glad you were able to bring the fish back to the shop without any trouble!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #115 
Gizmothefreaky

My frogs even eat their shedded skin sometimes, its gross, but pretty funny. XD
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #116 
LionCalie

So... I have ADF eggs!

I've been reading about raising them and it sounds like even experienced keepers have a lot of difficultly. They are definitely fertilized... I don't know what to do! If I should attempt to raise them or not.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #117 
Gizmothefreaky

Oh wow!! Congratulations!! I don't have any experience raising them, and the people who i know that have tried, haven't done well either. :/ Sorry!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #118 
Chesh

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOL! *ish excited*

I would totally at least have to give it a try!

There is a Yahoo group. . .
DwarfAfricanFrogs : Dwarf African Frogs
I hate the format of Yahoo groups, but these guys know a LOT about these little froggies, and I'm sure you can get a lot of RELIABLE information about how to keep them alive from them if you post your questions.

I DO know that if left, the parents will make short work of those eggs (dinner) so you have to decide QUICKLY! Looks like you've got some happy, healthy frogs there! I'm so excited for you! Please try! I wanna see some TADPOLES!!!! *luffs*

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #119 
LionCalie

Thanks for the link to the yahoo group! I've been trying to find a place to talk about ADFs that is actually active.

You will be happy to know I am going to attempt to hatch and raise them, but I don't know how successful I will be. I scooped the eggs into a betta cup and used a turkey baster to collect any stray eggs. I faced the dilemma of not having an extra heater, so I'm just floating the cup in the frogs tank.

Today I have noticed a change. They appear to have some kind of sack or something around them. I'm not sure if this is normal or if they are dead/rotting? The dark spot appears to have darkened and spread also. I was planning on moving them into a heated 2.5 gallon when they hatch and feed them Liquifry #1 until they are big enough to eat baby brime shrimp.

Here is today's picture, I hope they are doing okay:

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #120 
Chesh

I just think this is SO cool! Getting them out of the main tank was a great idea, or they'd be dinner by now, I'm sure. I hope they're okay in there. . . I wonder if water circulation will be a problem? Maybe a breeder box would be a better idea? But I really have no idea! I'm glad you joined the group. . . It's an odd format, but from my experience several of the people on there know a lot about these little guys, and I really hope some of them can help you! It will be so NEAT if you end up with teeeeeeeny tiny ADFs! THEN what will you do with them!!? Hrm, where do you live? I wonder how well tadpoles ship?