Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #1231 
LittleWatty

Skinny is packing on the pounds now! :D I've been hand feeding my frogs for the past few weeks, since Leo has caught on to my other Techniques. Tubby is the only one who won't take food from my hand, but he'll take it from the turkey baster so he's still getting fed. Just not as easily as the other two.

And meet Gargoyle! He's so pale compared to the other two, but he seems healthy so I'm thinking its just the way he is.
Attached Images

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #1232 
Chesh

YAY! I'm so glad to hear he's doing well. I've been waiting for an update on your thread! Could be he's just younger than the others, though coloration (even in the same type of frog) really does vary quite a bit from frog to frog from what I've seen/kept. What a CUTIE he is! I'm so happy that he managed to find such a wonderful home with you. I love hand-feeding, it's really the easiest (and most fun) way for me - especially when they're in a community tank (as all of mine are, now for various reasons - though I still think species-only is best!)
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #1233 
LittleWatty

He's definitely not much younger... when they were in a smaller tank together, he tried to get it on with Skinny, only to grab Tubby instead! XD He's about the same size as Tubby too. I'm definitely guessing its just his coloration, as it hasn't changed what so ever since I got him. He's also more of a grey, where all my other frogs are more of a brown. Ah well.

I know I've been slacking with my picture thread XD I've just been so busy with school lately that any time I'm near my tank I'm either on my way to bed, or feeding everyone, so I don't have a second to take pictures. This last batch was right around feeding time on a slow day.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #1234 
LittleWatty

Random thought of the day... a grouping of frogs is an "army" so I officially have an army of frogs!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #1235 
Chesh

Yeeesssss!!! Take over the world, Wat! Take over the world!!! *mwahahaha*

They look similar enough that I'd call your babies variations of the same, but I can only see through your pictures. There are several types of frog that fall into the generic 'African Dwarf' common name. I've kept two of them, and they looked very, very different. . .
Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #1236 
Kels

Would keeping two in a 2.5 g for the QT time be to small? I had wanted to put two in with my female batta But only have a 2.5 tank to QT them in.
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #1237 
Chesh

I think you could get away with a 2.5g tank for the initial QT period, provided you were very on top of maintaining water quality - but for anything longer I'd say 5g minimum. . . 'long' not 'tall'

To clarify, if the frogs have been kept with fish, you'll want to keep them in QT for a period of at least one month to ensure that they aren't 'carrying' anything that could be harmful to fish. This would be by association, as ADF don't typically become infected by the same pathogens that would affect fish. They can *happen* to have picked up fish parasites that can't use them as a host, but can 'hitchhike' in on their skin, water from the shop, or internally - having been ingested with or as food.

IF you get the two frogs at separate times, you will want to QT the second arrival for a period of 3 months, because frogs can be infected with the Chytrid fungus, which can take as long as 12 weeks to manifest, and almost always kills - but doesn't affect fish. I'd recommend that you purchase both frogs at the same time to keep things simple, as you will have to be VERY careful to keep the tank and supplies (buckets, siphons, nets) entirely separate during the QT period.

Hope this helps?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #1238 
Gizmobettafish1

I have two ADF's that I have had for about 6 months. I have two dalmatian mollies in a 5 gallon tank. Does anyone have any suggestions if I should give the ADF's a bigger tank and put them with the mollies in the 5 gallon tank?? would they get along? I read that the mollies are top feeders and omnivores and the ADF's are bottom feeders, so they should be compatible?
Gizmobettafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #1239 
Chesh

Mollies are too big for that five gallon tank, but it would suit your ADF perfectly! I'd move the Mollies into a larger tank, or re-home them, and just let the frog live in there. :) If the tank was large enough, they should get along well enough, but you'd have to target feed the frog - Livebearers are greedy, and frogs eat slowly.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #1240 
Gizmobettafish1

Thank you so much Chesherca! The pet store man was trying to sell me FOUR mollies today for my 5 gallon tank!! Good thing I did not take up that option!! I am going to try to give them a bigger tank and keep the ADF's in the five gallon tank!
Gizmobettafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote