Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #1241 
LittleWatty

Found Fleck/Fili dead when I got home from my parents today :( Pretty sure it was probably Chytrid, since its within a few week or so of the 3 month mark when I bought him and Kili. Now I'm just hoping that I didn't inadvertently get it in my other tank, since I feed my frogs at the same time. I always feed the oldies first (just in case the others had chytrid), but even when Tintri had camallanus and I was careful, my other fish got it too (both Leo and Faelican ended up with it after 4 months). So... I don't know. I'd be devastated if I lost Skinny and Tubby too :( I'd be sad if I lost Gargoyle, but not as much as my other two.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #1242 
Chesh

:( I'm so sorry, Watty! I know the feeling. . . hopefully whatever it was has been contained to the tank he was in. Why do you think it was Chytrid? Was he showing symptoms of this illness?
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #1243 
LittleWatty

I don't know the exact symptoms, but he seemed perfectly healthy and was eating fine. My tanks are clean, and I've seen no other issues with any of my frogs. When Kili died, I didn't know what it was, and I just accepted it. But after getting some emails from that ADF group on Yahoo, someone was describing the symptoms their frog had, and another person said it sounded like chytrid. They were eerily similar to what happened to Kili, so I thought that was probably it. It made sense to me too, considering I never know if my Petco frogs have it or not. There's also the fact that the 3 month mark is within a week. He was so close to the end of the quarantine. He had been spending some time at the top of the tank, but that was always a little normal for him. He seemed to like it up there once and a while. But lately it was happening more. He was fine on Friday, and I left before noon yesterday. When I found him, it looked like he had been dead several hours. So, whatever took him it got him in less than a day. He was bloated, but that could have just been the bloat that happens to things that die in warm environments.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #1244 
popcorndeer

can someone help me get my little girl frog to eat? i want to put her in the tank with popcorn but she wount eat you can almost see her bones
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #1245 
LittleWatty

First off, what are you feeding her? Secondly, have you tried hand feeding her? (using either tweezers or your fingers).

Also, I have to ask... how big is Popcorn's tank? The ones in your pictures don't seem much more than a gallon or two, which would be way too small for both an ADF and a Betta.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #1246 
popcorndeer

popcorn is getting a 5gal in the mail

and iam feeding her hikari frozen blood worms
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #1247 
Chesh

Watty, sorry I got distracted from responding to you. It's always best to behave as if Chytrid is the culprit, in any case, just to protect the other frogs and the outside environment. :( Please keep us posted on how the others are doing. Why haven't you been back to your journal??! I was excited for it!

PCD - how long have you had her, and as Watty asked - have you tried hand-feeding, or using tweezers/pipette to target feed? Is the tank cycled? If not, how often are you preforming water changes, and can you post up the water parameters?

Last edited by Chesh; 05-14-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #1248 
LittleWatty

PCD - 5 gallon may still be a little small, but so long as you keep up with the water changes you should be ok. Has the frog eaten the bloodworms before and suddenly stopped, or is she rather new and hasn't taken any food at all?

Chesh - Its finals week right now, and I'm leaving the country soon for a family vacation XD I just get so distracted! I do have some pictures that I'm planning to put up before I leave. My other frogs hide most of the day, unless Skinny and Gargoyle see me near the tank. Though I've been in my room studying more lately, so they may have gotten used to seeing me and aren't as interested as they used to be *shrug* I'll try to get a bunch of new ones up for you before I go! :D
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1249 
popcorndeer

no i got her for easter and was eating fine then when her friend i got with her for easter died she stoped eating
Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #1250 
Chesh

:( I'm sorry to hear of your loss. . . Easter wasn't that long ago, she's still within the QT window for some illnesses to present. . . hopefully this is something simple that we can figure out together. . .

How long has it been since she's eaten, and how often/how much were you feeding her before?

Is there any way you can get water parameters so we can rule out water quality? It's one of the most common reasons for a frog to stop feeding. . .

Are there ANY other signs of illness that you can see: Is she spending a lot of time at the surface, compared to before. How does her skin look - is it ragged and peeling? Any bloating? Any redness?

ANY chance you can get a picture posted up so we can see what she looks like?