Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #1291 
Chesh

Thanks for the input, Sky!

To the best of my understanding, Chytrid doesn't look like a 'normal' fungus - I/E fuzzy white growth. Could be wrong, but that's not what I've read/seen in images?

How's your little rescue doing? It looks like he has a fuzzy patch in the picture? Or is that just a trick of the light? Hope all is well on his road to recovery!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #1292 
Chesh

Neptune. . . lol. . . you've got the medicinal arsenal stocked and prepared for battle! Hopefully you don't have to use it, clean water is a very powerful thing ^.^

It sounds like your little girly is doing great, three cheers for chubby females with healhty appetites!

Chytrid does not affect fish, but it can be carried by them via their skin, water, or tank for a period of 3 months from introduction. Chytrid is the awful 'virus' we keep hearing about on the news, it's affecting frog populations to extinction world wide - not a pretty thing. If you DO decide to get another frog at some point, it's best to keep the newcomer in QT - it can take the illness 3 months to manifest, so you'll want to be sure not to cross-contaminate during that extended QT period. Cytrid *can* be treated, but it's a difficult thing to do. Hopefully not something you'll ever have to deal with.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #1293 
Skyewillow

there was something floating in the water. looks like a flake of fish food, somehow? idk lol

She's still alive and kickin' though, and we've decided to name her Smidge.

Chytrid appears as a messy shedding of the skin. Normal sheds come off in mostly one piece, chytrid sheds look like those nasty little peels that come with a sunburn. You know, kind of tattered, and flaky? They also float (as in can't sink if they try), and try to get out of the tank. The other two were having buoyancy trouble, and one of them looked really, really rough. So it could've been Chytrid, or it could be a bad bacterial infection, I'm considering treating Smidge just in case.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #1294 
Chesh

Glad to hear Smidge (fantastic name! Frog names are so adorable!) seems to be doing well so far! I really hope that Chytrid is in no way involved :(. . . may I ask how you plan to treat him, if you choose to do so?

Thanks for the clarification, too. That was my understanding as well. . . no fuzzy fluffy fungus-looking stuff with Chytrid that I've ever seen (and thankfully I've never had to deal with this one in any of my babies).

The virus feeds on the keratin that is inside the top layer of skin, without the Keratin, the skin thickens - and this is what causes the tattered and torn skin sheds. . .

All these poor frogs. . . Chytrid is such a vile thing. And so difficult to stop - especially among wild populations. *cries for the frogs*
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #1295 
Skyewillow

I'm not 100% sure that she's eating, but she's not getting any thinner, thankfully, she wasn't as bad as poor Pancake when we had gotten her! And there's not a ton of food in there. I just tried bloodworms, I don't think she recognizes them as noms.

Here's a wiki article on the disease, and if I do treat preemptively, I'll be trying one of these methods. I'm not sure which one though.

(Link button not working)
http://theaquariumwiki.com/Chytrid_fungus#Treatment
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #1296 
Skyewillow

here's a quick phone pic of Smidge, she's hanging out with me and we're watching Ghost Adventures.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #1297 
Chesh

LOL! Pancake! Lovin' these names! I have Freckles, Speckles, and Spot - so named by my little ladies ^.^

Lamasil AC is the treatment that I've most commonly seen used with good results, but it takes a lot of back and forth and bleaching of the 'used' container tanks (usually critter keepers) I hear a rumor that that form of this med is no longer available, though? Haven't looked into it. . . I hope that's not true, because a lot of people have had success with it. Heat treatment is really difficult, too, as you can't ensure that the condensation at the top of the tank gets warm enough to kill the spoors - and the things are so tenacious. There is a Chytrid test available, but last time I looked into it, the cost was around $50 per test. It's just a disaster, truly.

Where did you get your frog? It's totally normal, I'm sure you know, for them not to eat for a few days when they're in a new environment. Hopefully all is well. I'd be really leery of putting a frog through any treatment without being fairly positive that Chytrid is the cause. The flip side is that, with this illness, your best chance at survival is to move fast. It's such a double edged sword :/

ETA: Didn't see your post! She's so super cute! Looks like a fatty girl to MEEEEE!!!

Hi, Smidge! *luffs*
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #1298 
Skyewillow

she's a little more curvy than she was on Sunday, so I'm convinced that she's eating some of the food I'm throwing at her lol

I was thinking of the dry out method, I have 4 different QT (critter keepers) that I can use between the fish/frogs, so it's no biggie to let one sit and dry for a while.

Our ACFs have boring names like Freddie, and the female's name is Frankie (we thought she was a boy too, but by the time we found out otherwise, it was stuck).

But Pancake has her own thread in the "finless friends" board, and I've been trying to keep it updated, she looks like a smushed ACF, and that's how we got the name Pancake. Smidge is because she's just a wee smidgeon of a thing! lol
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #1299 
Chesh

I LOVE journal and photo threads! Link me, please! I tend to hang on TFK, not so familiar with BF. Really should work on that, I know. . .lol!

I think Freddie and Franky are cute names, too. FROGS are cute. Their names are adorable by default *swoons for frogs*
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #1300 
Skyewillow

^_^ Freddie was actually a rescue too. He was severely emaciated.

here's Pancake's thread.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=145114