Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #1301 
NeptunesMom

I saw Beatrix eat for the first time last night (normally, I just turn around to an empty plate). Wow, that girl can eat fast. I have been feeding her frozen bloodworms and one night I fed her brine shrimp (but that didn't seem to get eaten as quickly). I also have glasworms, do you think that is something she might like? I wanted to try to mix it up a bit. She refuses to eat frog pellets.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #1302 
Chesh

Give it a try! Mixing it up is the best way to go, in my opinion. My frogs don't seem to recognize pellets as food, either. . . at least, they didn't when they were new - I bet I could get them to eat anything from my fingers at this point if I tried! Greedy little things! Glad your girly is doing so well!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #1303 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
I saw Beatrix eat for the first time last night (normally, I just turn around to an empty plate). Wow, that girl can eat fast. I have been feeding her frozen bloodworms and one night I fed her brine shrimp (but that didn't seem to get eaten as quickly). I also have glasworms, do you think that is something she might like? I wanted to try to mix it up a bit. She refuses to eat frog pellets.
that's great! It's always worth a shot to try something new.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #1304 
NeptunesMom

Okay, I have another question. Do ADF's eat ghost shrimp? I saw her snap at one a few nights ago, and I've noticed all my ghosties have disappeared (there were three). I know they are experts at hiding, but I have only seen one for about a week now, and that one has not been seen since a few nights ago. The shrimp and her were about the same size (all somewhere between 1"-1.5" in their bodies). I have several hiding spots for the shrimp, and they used to always hide in the plants. But, none are in there now. Beatrix on the other hand really never hides anymore. She's always out and about in the tank cruising along the bottom, and occasionally darting to the top for air.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #1305 
Chesh

I'm honestly not sure about this one, hopefully someone else knows more. . . I'm still looking forward to keeping shrimp for the first time. My suspicion would be that they're too big. . . but I've seen frogs snap at ANYTHING that's moving, thinking it was food. So I suppose it's *possible,* though I'd imagine it would take them a while to eat an entire shrimp. . . and you'd see them looking really big in the belly, and probably refusing food, I'd think? Hopefully the ghosties are just hiding.

REALLY glad to hear that little Bea is getting comfortable in her new home, and isn't being such a fraidy cat anymore. *GRINS* This makes me happy!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #1306 
Skyewillow

I have Pancake in with Juvenile RCS, and she snaps if they bother her, but she hasn't tried eating them since they're no longer bite sized. Doesn't mean she can't, it's just my own experience.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #1307 
NeptunesMom

Hmm... Well, I guess I will just have to wait and see if they pop up in the tank. I can't think of where they could be hiding as I've looked all over for them. Here is a pic of Miss Bea posing for me. Unfortunately, it's a little blurry because it's a cell phone photo.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #1308 
Skyewillow

From what I can see, she's looking good!!

Oh, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, I could be wrong.

I've noticed that in most photos of male dwarf frogs, they don't have that dark brown mask that you see on females. Am I crazy?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #1309 
Chesh

I'm not sure about the 'mask.' I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, but I've always attributed it to different frog species being lumped into the common name of 'African Dwarf Frog.' ONE of my females looked like that - ALL of my other frogs, both male and female have looked slightly different, so I think they may be a different type of frog altogether. I could be totally wrong. . . I *think* that the three frogs I have now are Hymenochirus boettgeri, while my original female may have been Hymenochirus curtipes. I'm REALLY not sure about this, though. I've tried looking into it, but can't really find any information that concretely defines the differences between these two, and the other types of frogs sold under the common name. And I've looked! Almost everything online, even when they are given their proper names, interchanges the types, and I've never been able to track down any good scientific papers or books on the subject. I may have to see if I can ask Stuart to clarify. He wrote the Wiki articles, and keeps several species. I'm betting he would know. . .

lol, sorry for the babble. Something I've always wondered about, obviously! If you have any info, I'd love to give it a read ^.^
Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #1310 
Skyewillow

I asked on my ADF group on fb, there's a couple of breeders on there who should know.