Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #1451 
Gizmothefreaky

Oh goodness, lol a lot has changed here... I have three bettas, six ADFs, four pea puffers, and... Nine and counting axolotls. All my baby lotls grew up and went on to find new homes, and I've bred and raised several more broods since then. The move went well, but I am already considering moving house again and going to Texas when I get my taxes back. Lmao!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #1452 
Chesh

Thanks for the update - you HAVE been busy!!! Don't believe you're thinking of moving again so soon!!! Glad to hear things are going well over there - always good to see you around! ^_^
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #1453 
Gizmothefreaky

Oh gosh, it's been crazy, but I am tired of this cold weather, I need to go back where it's nice and warm. Lol!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #1454 
finsNhooves

Hi there i was wondering if you could give me some advice on these cute little critters. I am interested in maybe putting two of them in a 10 gallon with y male betta. Would that be ok? Also how would i go about feeding them? My parents wont let me put bloodworms in the freezer so i plan on using sinking frog and tadpole bits. Im worried that they will starve because my betta will find all the food. Thanks for this thread! It is really usefull and informative. :)
finsNhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #1455 
Chesh

Hullo!
The age-old question of fish and frogs, lol. It's a hard one to answer. . .
I've never kept Betta with frogs, only with other fish, but what I have learned with my four, and from what I have read - the best advice to give you is HAVE A BACKUP PLAN!

I've seen so many stories where it's gone swimmingly with the two (pun intended!), and also seen my fair share of horror stories of fish or frogs not getting along at all.

I think in a 10g tank, if you have it set up so that both animals will be comfortable, you stand a fair chance - but bear in mind how unique the temperaments of Betta fish can be. Each of my four frogs have been distinct individuals, too! Some seem more inclined to stand up and fight for their dinner, others tend to hide away. . .

I personally would be very comfortable keeping two frogs and a Betta in a 10g tank - as far as bio-load and tank size is concerned, but I also run fairly well-planted tanks, and that can have an effect on parameters - I've never done it the other way!

As for feeding. . . again! No easy answer. . .

My frogs never took to the dried food, and I've many read instances where this has been the case. But also have seen more than my fair share of pellet eaters out there. Personally, I would check with the shop and see what they're feeding them there. When I got my first frog, they told me to use the pellets, and since she wouldn't eat them, we were both unhappy until I figured out that they had been getting brine shrimp in the store. If they're already used to accepting the pellets, you shouldn't have any problems.

My frogs also love frozen Tilapia - variety in their diet is best, but I'm betting your parent's will be more comfortable with this being in the freezer, as it's people food >.< I'm sure there are other types of fish or shrimp that you could use to supplement their diet that come from the grocery aisle - something to look into, maybe?!

Freeze dried bloodworms are also an option that has worked for others, but that I have never tried personally. You'll want to be sure to rehydrate them in tank water before feeding to prevent possible intestinal issues.

Feeding fish with frogs without over-feeding or under-feeding. . . is a trick! But it can be done. You just have to pay close attention. My frogs have all be very easily trained to feed from my hand or a baster - and even from a specific location in the tank. Betta fish are good at learning routines, too. . . but you'll have to be wary and make sure that everyone is getting their share, and not too much. Adult frogs can skip a day or two between meals, too - so this can work in your favor.

Again - just be sure you have something planned in case it doesn't work out between them, so that neither frog nor fish comes to harm. . . and I say it's worth a shot. Please continue to do your own research, as well as watch this thread for other thoughts - I only know my own experiences, and what I've seen and read around the WWW!

Hope this helps! And please be sure to let us know how you decide!

Last edited by Chesh; 11-23-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #1456 
finsNhooves

Thank you sooo much! That was super helpful. I am going to do some more research and talk to my parents about it. And i will be sure to let you know what my decision is. Thanks again :D
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #1457 
Laki

Hey Gizmo-
Wondering if someone could help me out. I have a recently freed up 5 gallon and I decided against any more bettas. So I was just going to have a planted tank with Milly but quickly got bored of that idea.

It's a planted tank with a bright 6500k light, black gravel and driftwood. Heated to 80F and has a low filter. After I time out the bacteria that likely killed my plakat (I'd say a month to be safe) I want to get ADF.

Where should I get them? I'm in Canada and this disease has me paranoid about getting them from a pet store. I want to put 3 in there (I know it's pushing it but with water changes and the live plants I don't see it being an issue) so if I get them all the same time, can I put all in the tank at once? (since they'll be coming from the same tank)

Do they like tanned water? I have so many IAL leaves!

If I get a trio, what should the male to female ratio be?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #1458 
djembekah

Oh totally get froggies! Id probably only do two, but if you keep up changes it could be okay. idk where you'd get them in canada though. try aquabid?

Another thing is that the gravel should be too big for froggie mouths. otherwise they might eat some when going for food and then not be able to pass it.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #1459 
Laki

Thanks, I cannot see them being able to put my gravel in their mouths. I have standard gravel .. I don't know.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #1460 
finsNhooves

So i promised i would let you guys know what my desicion was on getting some frogs but after talking it over with my parents, we've decided to not get any because we go on little trips quite frequently and i think the frogs would be too hard for our pet sitter to take care of. Maybe in the future i will have tank just for frogs :)