Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #1461 
Chesh

FishNhooves: Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that you guys sat down and discussed your options and came up with the best solution for your family and the animals you keep. . . hopefully one day you'll be in a better position to bring a few lovely little froggies home!

Laki: Gizzy's been pretty busy lately, so I'll try to answer as best I can in the hope that it helps!

I do agree with Bek - in my opinion, two would be better than three in a 5g, and I would *personally* keep it to one. That's just my way, though.

These little guys will take full advantage of all the swimming space they can get - I've learned this by having them in larger setups (29 and 55g tanks), and water quality can be tougher to maintain in a smaller tank, because of the high-protein foods these frogs require. If you do choose to keep them in a 5g, you'll probably want to do extra water changes, and once the frogs reach adulthood, limit feedings to every other or every third day to keep the waste lower, and the water clean - my current 3 have been on an every-third-day feeding routine for over a year now, and are doing brilliantly (I did feed them daily until they reached their full growth).

I've had my babies in a number of setups now, and though they have done well in all of them, I felt that my frog-only species tank was ideal. That was 3 frogs in a well-planted 10g, with a Nerite buddy. I shut down that tank and put them into a community to make my life easier, but when things settle down again, I'd love to set that tank back up.

I typically keep my tanks with a sand bed, but am currently keeping my frogs in a tank with a 'river gravel' substrate. For a short period of time in the beginning, I had one frog in a tank with standard gravel. I have never had a frog have any issues with ingesting the gravel, but I won't say it isn't possible. If their food is on the substrate, they tend to hunt by pouncing - bringing up mouthfuls of whatever is down there - so I can definitely see accidental ingestion it as a possibility, though I'm not sure how common it is. . .these little guys are pretty smart. I have trained my frogs to eat from my fingertips or a turkey baster - this way they come UP for food, and don't pounce around on the substrate. You can also train them to feed from a dish, which would help keep them safe.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Chesh; 12-14-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #1462 
Laki

Thanks so much chesh! I think I will get two, rather than three. Its easy to overstock and I was thinking where it's so planted that I would be fine. I'll heed the advice. Two is fine, but I don't want one on its own.

So they have a high bioload?

I have been cycling their tank since osha passed away and it will be ready after Christmas so I still have time to research everything perfect for them. How big are their mouths as full grown froggies? I do intend on getting a dish for them to eat on, last thing I need is more buggies in my gravel!
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #1463 
Chesh

A lot of research and a fully cycled (and planted!) tank = ADF awesomesauce!!!
I think two will be great in a standard 5g tank. ^__^

I wouldn't say the frogs themselves have a high bioload, but they do need high protein foods (none of the four froggies I've had have taken to the pellets - so be prepared to feed wet-frozen goodies, if this turns out to be the case with yours) I've seen many posts about protein films forming in tanks in which the animals are fed on an exclusively high-protein diet - plants can't help with that, so you'll definitely want to keep up on those water changes - especially at first, while they're still learning to take foods from the dish, and for as long as you feed daily (you can continue to feed them daily once they reach adulthood - its hard to resist!)

I also think that two is a better choice over three simply because it'll give both frogs more space to roam around in. Again, my opinion based only on my experiences. . . might be different for you, but my babies get around!

As full grown froggies, they aren't very big - neither the frogs or their mouths! Big enough to gobble up bloodworm without thinking twice! ^__^
Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #1464 
Laki

They sound adorable, I cannot wait!
Laki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #1465 
Gizmothefreaky

Just swinging by to show off my six! Snapped this while they were in the holding tank so that I could clean out and rearrange their normal tank. Took the chance to give them a treat of live black worms too! Happy froggies!

You may notice two are very thin... I have no idea why? They eat just like the others, they just can't seem to put on weight... ive had these guys all for about a year... ish? Not sure exactly. Lol
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #1466 
djembekah

The different colors are amazing! i really want to pick up a second frog but the only place a quarantine could happen is with the betta.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #1467 
Gizmothefreaky

I had an albino one years ago as well... I miss him terribly.

Their colors really amaze me too.

You can QT with a beta for the chytrid... but you run the risk of other nasties... :/
Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #1468 
Chesh

*SQUEEEEEEE*
I <3 FROGGY CUTENESSSSSSS!!!
You do really get to see the differences in coloration/patterning really well in that shot! My three all look so different - really cool!

Those do look thinner, but don't look emaciated or starving to me. You would know better than I, having kept them longer. . . but based on the four that I've had, and all the images I've seen (sadly many of which have been starving T__T) I wouldn't worry too much. They don't look emaciated to me, just slender! (and adorable!) I'd say they're probably just smaller males, and maybe not as greedy as the others. As long as you know they've been eating (and I can see they are doing just that!), I wouldn't worry too much!

Just another example of the wide range of variation that can be considered normal in these animals!
Of course. . . next to that massive female they look EXTRA super tiny! Cute, cute!!

Nice shot, Gizzy - thank you for the froggy eye candy! I love <3

Bek: How IS your lil' one doing??! I'm sure I've missed posts somewhere around here - sorry I've been so away lately! *hugs* I miss my forum time!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #1469 
djembekah

She's doing alright! i really need to make her tank a little prettier. its pretty ugly
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #1470 
Gizmothefreaky

Yeah, I think you are right lol! Between the four males, the two chubby ones ate so much they look like small females, the piggies. X3