Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #161 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
I find my frogs will not sing if they are in a community fish tank. I'm not exactly sure why but they just refuse to sing. When I set up the frog tank I hear them every night. I have three males in a 5 gallon tank and been keeping a close eye on water quality and everything is working out for me.
This is really interesting! I wonder if they're not as comfortable in a community tank, or if it's something else? Glad mine is all by himself. . . though. . . does having a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails in with him 'count' as it being a community tank??! (I think not...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemike View Post
I'm thinking about giving them sand since I found a nice pellet that is good for them and not being messy as frozen foods.
This is funny, because I've had the exact opposite experience! I only have ONE ADF ATM, but he absolutley WILL NOT recognize the froggy pellets as food - no matter how hungry he is! I have read that a diet of 100% pelleted food can be bad for their digestive tract, and possibly lead to bloat - but again, this also may have a lot to do with overfeeding, and I've also read of people like you who have had no problems with this type of diet. . . so funny the variety of information you can find within the bounds of personal experiences! Every tank and every creature is as unique as their caregiver, truly!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #162 
SpookyTooth

The kind words of wisdom are just what I needed to hear to be honest, Chesherca. Thank you.

I think I became so upset as I had the shrimp in temporary accomodation (in a tuppaware box floating in Kaze's heated tank! I did daily water changes) and they were absolutely fine - the females became berried. I've been so cautious over adding things to the planted tank because I was trying to make sure the soil had established and that the filter was ok (I love sponge filters; so do baby MTS apparently, they were burrowing into the foam). I have a habit of overthinking things..

I picked myself up after a rest this morning and decided I'd re-do Kaze's soon-to-be new home with the live plants and sand. I've rearranged things in an aquarium slightly smaller than his previous "soon-to-be home" but it's made from a beautiful blue-acrylic (so it's crystal clear) and an interesting shape (it's slightly bow-fronted). I don't usually like acrylic tanks for fish but this one has a nice footprint that I think Kaze will appreciate. Also have a smaller copy for the frog. Just put the MTS in it and they're very happy that there is only sand and no more soil dirtying up their shells! I saved as many baby MTS as I could (they reproduced!) as well as a pair of ramshorn snails, so hopefully these guys will help me keep the aquarium in good fettle for Kaze.

The bit of driftwood I had in the old tank is also in the new one; it drifts off into the back and fades away - looks like a staircase! Overall I'm happier with how things turned out and can't wait to see how it looks when it grows out. I just hope the little shrimp forgive me for letting them down (... is that a little excessive? Haha).

As for the frogs, I'm definately still going to get one. Once Kaze is in his new home and I can monitor how the plants grow in just sand I'll look into it further. There are plenty of aquatics stores around my area and I'm sure one of them must have an ADF - I can always order one in.

Things always seem worse last thing at night and first thing in the morning! Haha. Now I think I'll settle with a nice cup of tea and watch the snails ramble around their new home. They seem to approve.

(Sorry for slightly derailing the topic there and thank you also for the links!)

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 04-12-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Oodles of typos!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #163 
Chesh

Ahh! Glad to hear you're feeling back on top! I'm sure Kaze will love his new home - and am very happy that you seem satisfied with it, as well! I'm also known for over-thinking things. . .On the whole, I see no issues with it, though it does have it's drawbacks from time to time (one of them being that the one thing you never thought of is the one that happens, ) I'm sure your shrimp will forgive you from shrimpy heaven - but only if you learn something from their demise - and I suspect you have! Enjoy those snails! My MTS have babies, too - they're so itty bitty CUTE! I'm finding myself to be a huge snail fan, lol! Best of luck to you, dear!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #164 
SpookyTooth

Thank you very much! I hope your little ADF continues to thrive, though I'm sure he will :). And yes, I've fallen quite madly in love with my snails as well. Their babies are incredible! So perfectly formed! It also means I have a few extra that I can put in the frog's tank... I can set that up soon! Ohhh!!

I'm going to give it a couple days before moving Kaze into his new planted tank; will monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels and keep an eye on plant growth. Once he's moved and my second light fixture has arrived I can work on setting up my froglet's tank. I'll call around some aquatics centres and ask them about their stock, too.

If worst comes to it and I really can't find an ADF (though my fingers are crossed) I can always get another betta - whoops did I say that out loud? Sorry Kaze!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #165 
freemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
This is really interesting! I wonder if they're not as comfortable in a community tank, or if it's something else? Glad mine is all by himself. . . though. . . does having a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails in with him 'count' as it being a community tank??! (I think not...)

I honestly think it was Cosmo keeping them quiet as he took particular interest in "checking" the frogs out. He never bit or even rammed them. He was just curious as what these things that zoomed from the substrate to the top of the tank was lol. The snails should be fine. :)
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #166 
SpookyTooth

I'm pleased to report that I may have found a store that stocks ADFs. I had a good day health-wise today and went out for a little while; discovered a new aquatics store (only been open for 3 months) that looks very promising!

I was really happy to see plenty of healthy, interactive fish! Their large angelfish were in big tanks on their own and looked absolutely incredible (I usually see lots of angelfish stocked in small tanks looking miserable in fish stores) and their goldfish were in large tanks, too! They also had loads of corydoras! And shrimp! A store that stocks corydoras and shrimp that I can go to and not have to pay postage!!

They also had a growing list of aquatic plants for sale. Wow! Everything from wisteria to some amazing cryptos!

They only had one betta; a tiny little veiltail that was very friendly - up at the front of his display tank wiggling his little heart out. He must have been very young. I almost bought him but I had my heart set on a frog, so I apprehensively walked away. He was in a community tank and his fins looked fine and dandy. I asked one of the on-hand employees about bettas and he told me about their betta barracks - each cube would probably hold 1.5 gallons of water! I'm going to head back in a couple of months and see how things differ from today. Maybe they'll have their betta barracks finished by then.

I also asked the employee (who was very polite and helpful) about ADFs - he said he hadn't heard of them but asked me to call them or email them with the Latin name and said they'd see what they could do. They also mentioned Congo Frogs... when I got home I did some research and discovered that Congo Frogs are ADFs, just under a different common name! I've emailed them with this info (and the Latin name) and am awaiting a response now. They didn't have any Congo Frogs in stock at the time so I asked them when they were next expected in.

While I wait I've been working on my frog's future tank. I just wanted to know what you all thought, if I may ask? It's a bit murky (from the sand, going to do a water change soon) and I am likely going to be adding more plants - but here it is so far!

The photo was taken with my phone so please excuse the quality.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the tank DOES have a tight-fitting lid xD
Attached Images

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 04-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #167 
Gizmothefreaky

Sorry for my absence all!! I am so glad to hear that everyone is doing good!!

ST- That tank looks great! How big is it? with so many live plants and the beautiful sand i would feel confident that you could have very happy frogs indeed. :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #168 
SpookyTooth

Welcome back to the topic :)

Oh, thank you! It's only 2.5 gallons, I am hoping to upgrade it later on though (I have a shed full of tanks that need rehoming first, all smaller ones; not allowed to buy any more aquariums until those ones are rehomed LOL!).

I'm looking to get another 4 - 5 gallon and plant it out but I'm hoping this tank will be appropriate as temporary accomodation (temporary being... a few months). Also looking to add a few more plants to the front (just to offer a bit of extra security at the very front of the tank). I can keep up water changes, I just hope this size is appropriate for a pair of frogs. If not I can just get the one for the time being.

I love the sand. It's very gentle on my fingers and easy to plant stuff in, I don't think the frog(s) will have any problems with it.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #169 
Chesh

Sorry to hear that you've been unwell, but everything else sounds fantastic! I'm so glad that you've found a seemingly very well-run and trustworthy LFS, and hope they can get you your little froggy friends! I love the idea of their 'betta barracs.' I really wish they would do that over here - I feel so bad for those little guys, and always wonder why it's considered acceptable to keep them in tiny cups.

The tank looks great, and I'm sure the frogs will be very happy there until their upgrade. . . YAY! You're going to have so much fun with these little critters, I just know it!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #170 
Gizmothefreaky

As a temporary home it will be fine for a pair, as long as you keep up on the water changes. The live plants will keep the water healthy. :) and they will be very happy indeed for the upgrade.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote