Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #1711 
Wiggyl

I don't know if this is written anywhere in the other posts, or if maybe we can edit the first posting, but I just learned by terrible experience that some ADFs eat betta fins.

I just got an ADF and after all of the extensive research I did, all I ever found was that you have to be careful about the betta's behavior around the frog and not vice versa. 2 days in the tank with my betta were enough to destroy his caudal and part of his anal fin. I actually caught the frog jump up and rip a piece of fin off.

I just wish that I had found somewhere that would have said this when considering putting ADFs and bettas together, or else I never would have gotten one. Now the poor frog has to live in a 1g quarantine I have makeshifted, my betta's going to have to heal for a while and I'm just very discouraged about getting tankmates.

Edit: I do see one line in the initial posting about ADFs eating fins. I wish it were more prominent. ]=

Last edited by Wiggyl; 04-06-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Found new info
Wiggyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #1712 
Briz

I wouldn't say they eat fins but rather see something moving in front of them and test to see if it is food. They can also accidentally shred fins by swimming near the betta. I have seen this information in various locations besides this thread. I am sorry that this happened to you though. A betta with short fins (like a plakat) would probably be safest with ADF tankmates.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #1713 
Fin2you

My 3 ADF are "alpha's" in the community tank. They have chased the clown pleco out of it's hiding spot, the 2 female beta's know to swim the other way & the Rasbora school stay outta their way! Guess I just got lucky!
I am going to be setting up a little Tetra Cube tank in my new office, & I think I will get myself a frog as a tankmate to a new male beta. My kids have me hooked on these little guys, I find myself staring at the tank until I catch sight of all 3 frogs at the same time!
Fin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #1714 
Laki

Haha I'm the same way, except I try to find 5 ADF in a 20g!

Just wondering, how large of a tetra cube are you getting for your office??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #1715 
Fin2you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Haha I'm the same way, except I try to find 5 ADF in a 20g!

Just wondering, how large of a tetra cube are you getting for your office??
I have a 20gal & there are 2 dark common, 5 orangish & 1 white white albino Bristolnose pleco baby's that I'm constantly trying to keep track of so I totally know what you mean!

The Tetra cube is the older style that's like 2.5-3gal not the little itty bitty 1/2 gal crap they sell now! I should dig it out of the storage room & see if it's still in 1 piece LOL
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #1716 
Laki

Okay that's good! It will be a nice office addition :0 I don't know if I would personally put 1 frog and 1 betta in there only for lack of getaway space for alone time but that's me. There are others here who have successfully done 3 gallons with frogs/betta.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #1717 
Fin2you

Oh for sure! & if the male I get isn't "frog friendly" there is plenty of room in the community tank for another frog if need be!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #1718 
LittleWatty

Dang, it feels forever since I've posted here. There were a lot of problems in my life for a while though, with a loss of several pets, the death of a family member, and having to move across the country. I'm moving again in just a few days, but otherwise things have gotten much better, so I wanted to stop by and share some good news!

I HAVE TADPOLES.

Right now, I only have two surviving taddies, both from different hatches. The pictures below are all of my oldest, which I think is two and a half months now. With my job, I have reliable access to baby brine shrimp, so I've been able to keep up with feeding them!

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 AM   #1719 
Zuzu

Now that's just ridiculously adorable.
Zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #1720 
Laki

Oh my god o-o