Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #211 
Chesh

Wow... this is the BIGGER frog? He's terribly thin. I mean. . . REALLY thin. Have you actually seen him eating the pellets you drop in for him at all? Is he in there with any other creatures? It can be very difficult to ensure that an ADF is getting enough food - they're slow hunters, and if there are other fish in with them, they might not be getting anything at all. My frog absolutley will NOT touch any type of pellet foods, though there are many that eat them with no problems. I would say that you should go out and get some wet frozen bloodworm and brine shrimp and try feeding him those by hand. You said that the PET stores are closed today, but if you can get to a grocery store, you can feed these guys tiny bits of Tilapia fish (shown in pictures below). Fresh or frozen is fine, just as long as it's uncooked and unseasoned, and cut into tiny bits so he doesn't choke. Go slow - you need to fatten him up, but too much too soon will cause bloat - so feed him very small meals to start with.

IF you have actually seen him eat, and he's still this thin, you might be dealing with something else. So let me know if you're 100% sure that he's eating his pellets. . . also what brand of pellets you're trying to feed him. This can make a difference.

Do all the frogs in the shop's tank look this thin? Do you know what they feed them while they're there?

Here's some pics of what my little guy looks like so you can get an idea of how thin your froggy is. This is an older shot from when he was still new, and he's eating, so has a full tummy - you can still see that his tummy is nice and rounded:

Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #212 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
The food that they first gave me were the free dried bloodworms on the right, and they just floated so I don't use them anymore. The one on the right, is the one that they are eating.
Ahh, yeah... the freeze dried bloodworms should be avoided. You have the right type of pellets, though - are you 100% sure they're eating them? You can try soaking the freeze dried bloodworms for a while before feeding. . . the problem with the freeze dried foods (as I understand it) is that they can expand in the stomach after the frog eats them, causing bloat. This shouldn't be as big of a problem if they've been soaked, and so are already expanded. . .
Old 05-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #213 
whatwhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Ahh, yeah... the freeze dried bloodworms should be avoided. You have the right type of pellets, though - are you 100% sure they're eating them? You can try soaking the freeze dried bloodworms for a while before feeding. . . the problem with the freeze dried foods (as I understand it) is that they can expand in the stomach after the frog eats them, causing bloat. This shouldn't be as big of a problem if they've been soaked, and so are already expanded. . .
He usually goes inside a little ornament, and I put his food there, when I check its usually mostly gone, but since yesterday he hasn't ate anything I think. When I got him from the pet store he was this thin or maybe thinner ;O I thought they were supposed to be like that ;/ Today is a long weekend here and everything is closed ;/
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #214 
Chesh

Yeah. . . they're not supposed to be that skinny :( He looks like he's starving. I don't know anything about internal parasites with these frogs, so I can't help there, but if you haven't actually SEEN him eat anything, then you might want to assume he hasn't. . .

If you don't have anything in your freezer that he can eat, and can't get anywhere to get him something different to eat. . . maybe try soaking the bloodworms in water until they're fully saturated and sinking, then try feeding him by hand. It might take you a few tries, but you might be able to get him to take it. I fed mine by hand for quite a while, as he was in a community tank for a bit.

I'm still new with these frogs, so I'm hoping someone else will be on soon to chime in with more expert advice, but. . . he needs to get something in his belly! Poor little guy!

If all of the frogs for sale at your shop look like this. . . they should be reported! These creatures are either starving to death or very ill. . .

:(

I'm sorry! Let me know if you manage to get anything into him. I really hope you can get him to eat!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #215 
JennybugJennifer

Okay thanks for all the help.
He's been in his 2.5 for like three weeks and he seems happy
I feed the gel and now that he's alone I can visibly see and know it was him eating when he finds it. I try and spot feed and put some on the other end too.
I'll post pictures of his tank and I have good ones of him to see if he looks healthy.
He's so lonely though.
Would it be cruel to get him a froggy friend in his 2.5gallon?

Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #216 
JennybugJennifer

He loves his pineapple. I didn't have the heart to take it from him and give it back to the Betta.
He's always smooshed between it and the glass hiding. So he thinks ;)

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #217 
JennybugJennifer

Here's a couple more to get a better look at his health
(I couldn't edit :( I'm sorry for the several posts. I think of things then can't edit)

(his bummy)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #218 
JennybugJennifer

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...y/04507d8c.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #219 
JennybugJennifer

One more question..... I'm sorry..... This is my first frog like my fish... I never had aquatic pets.
I have a 3 gallon that jaws is in, should I move Frogger there?
It's heated but unfiltered. Could I add a frog then? It's the best I can do ATM. But I made sure I budgeted so everyone has a heater and at least 2.5 gallons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #220 
Chesh

Aww! Froggy!!! He's so cute! It's really hard to get a good picture of these guys, and there is quite a bit to look for health-wise that simply wouldn't come up on a picture. Even between flash and flashlight - I can't judge on coloration, but he does seem a *bit* on the thin side to me in one of the pictures - again I could be wrong, it's really hard to tell from these images. Is he eating well now that he's on his own? I believe I sent you a PM with information on what to watch for in a sick ADF, but from here *shrug* He looks okay to me! ;)

A misconception here - your frog isn't lonely! Regardless of some beliefs to the contrary, ADF do not NEED to be kept in pairs or groups. They are social, and will behave differently with friends in the tank, but provided that they're well cared for, they are perfectly fine and happy to live a long life as singles. This is not a creature that requires the company of others for it's health.

That being said. . . I wouldn't be comfortable with putting 2 frogs in anything less than a 5 gallon tank - with filtration and heat. They need the room to swim around, and with the messy types of food that they need to be healthy it can be very difficult to keep a smaller tank stable enough in parameters for their overall health.

Particularly to you, I'd wait a bit longer and keep an eye on the one you have. Get used to his behavior and plump him out a bit before adding a buddy. . . you can save up for the 5g while you wait! Chytrid is a very real problem in the world just now, so personally, I have decided to wait a period of 3-4 months to be sure that mine wasn't infected with it. Now I'll be QTing a 2nd frog in another tank for the same amount of time before putting the two together - I'd be devastated if a new frog came in sick and harmed my first - just something else to think about here. . . if I were you, I'd wait until I could get a 5g up and cycled, then QT #2 alone in THAT tank for a period of 3months before putting them both together. It sucks, but patience is ALWAYS worth the wait in this hobby, I'm learning!

On 2.5 alone vs 3g with Jaws - I'd leave Mr. Frog in the 2.5 by himself for the moment. As you've learned, it can be difficult to make sure that an ADF eats well in community with other creatures, and most people find that they really do best on their own in a species tank. Also. . . as you've seen already, ADF and Betta fish aren't *always* the best tank mates. A lot of this depends on the temperaments of both frog and fish. Then there's the added stress of another move to consider. . . I'd just leave them where they are for now! As long as you're closely watching/testing/cleaning the tank that he's in, 2.5 should be fine for one little frog. Plus, you'll be able to get a better idea of what is normal behavior for your frog and get used to his behavior and habits - which might be very different if he's in the company of a fish!

I'm sure someone with a bit more experience will be by soon with some more seasoned advice, but that's my two cents - hope it helps!

Last edited by Chesh; 05-22-2012 at 07:01 AM.