Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #231 
JennybugJennifer

One more thing, gahhh sorry I feel like I ask soooooooo much
I cut up part of my scrubber sponge because they're cheap and wrapped it around the filter intake and wrapped a rubber band around it, is the rubber band safe? I soaked it in safe water for a few minutes
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...y/313a848c.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #232 
Chesh

LOL! Never apologize for asking questions! Look at it this way - posting your questions up here will likely help someone in the future with a similar problem - only they'll find an answer (hopefully!)

I am so happy you've seen him eat! HUZZAH! Very important to be sure of this, obviously!

Frogs seem to be really easy to train - mine eats right out of my fingertips! I've read many instances where people feed in a cup or a dish of some sort, so I'm fairly sure this will work out for both of you. I don't think it matters if you keep the cup in the tank or not, as long as you're consistent in always placing his food in the same spot - and it will make things easier for you to clean. I'd say it's up to you if you want to have a cup in your tank, lol! Personally, I'd want to get something smaller to keep in-tank (many people recommend the water catchers from the small terracotta flower pots) and clean up after meals with a turkey baster - I worry about contaminating my tank with putting things in and out every single day - but I don't think it will matter to the frog, as long as his water stays clean and he gets something to eat! Whichever way you decide, once he associates food with that cup, that's where he'll go to get some! Keep in mind that you must be very careful never to get soap into his tank or he will die. Wash the cup with vinegar and rinse it very well between uses.

As for rubber-bands, I'm not entirely sure! I've seen people recommend them for use in attaching plants to driftwood and such, but I used fishing line in my tanks. Eventually the band will rot away, I suspect, and need replacing. I have no idea what kind of weird contaminates might go into making those, so. . . *I* wouldn't do it - but that doesn't mean it isn't okay! Gizmo could better answer this one, she has more experience. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #233 
JennybugJennifer

Crap!!!! Now I'm scared again. I didn't clean it first but te cup I chose hasn't been used or washed in Atleast a week :/ I gunna lose my mind lol. I'll wash it though. I took it out to empty the extra food after a half hour of not eating it ( after I sat and watched him eat)
I'll switch out the rubber band before it decomposes :/ blah
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #234 
Chesh

LOL! I'm sure it'll be fine. . . glass should show soap residue fairly obviously, right! You'd have noticed! :)
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #235 
JennybugJennifer

I'm really truly losing my mind. If this keeps up, honestly I may find him a new home. I'm stressed already about my own medical crap and now scared im killing my animals.
He's okay for now, he's swimming, "playing" and he ate his dinner. He seems to frequent the surface more and everything. I don't know if that's ANOTHER worry *sigh*
I feel like he's suffering because I keep finding out all the wrong in doing. I feel like I'm just slowly killing him :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JennybugJennifer; 05-23-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #236 
SpookyTooth

I've been keeping an eye on this topic from afar and learning more, even though my own frog plans are on hold.

I, too have medical issues, JennybugJennifer and know how frustrating and worrying it can be when you take an animal into your home and pour your heart and soul into its care only to learn you may have made a mistake somewhere along the line - especially when other stresses due to your own stuff are present as well!

It's absolutely fine to make mistakes as long as we learn from them, and your questions clearly show that you are willing to - which is fantastic! It can be extremely stressful bringing something new into your life (I remember when I first brought Kaze home - I was up several times a night checking on him and had so many worries it was unbelievable!) but once you've learned more about your indivudual animal and his personality, and have learned more about his species in general that stress will fade with time.

We just have to endure the initial period of time where our frustrations take over - we'll become stronger for it. Part of me thinks that our animals know the effort we put into their care and they reward us indirectly through their growing bigger and stronger, through their activity and through their general silliness!

I hope you're able to relax soon
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #237 
MollyJean

Aww you poor thing. Don't worry so much as long as you're doing your best!

I'll clear your worries a little right now. Rubber bands are just fine. Make sure they're secure and won't come loose and strong enough that they won't snap, because a loose rubber band is a choking hazard for any fish, but they're safe for the water, so don't worry. I use one of the really thick ones that come on broccoli in one of my tanks to hold a plastic plant to a piece of driftwood. No risk of it snapping. :) People use them for plants, thermometers, dividers and, like you, filters. All kinds of things.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #238 
Wolfie305

Seeing as how they like being together, could I have two females or two males together? Or should they be a male and female pair?

I'm reusing my goldfishy's 10 gallon to put Paarthurnax in and I've been thinking of using the extra space for two of these guys :3 They're adorable.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #239 
JennybugJennifer

Aw thanks everyone. I'm so used to always worrying about me and my cat and chihuahua plus I have severe anxiety as it is soooo yeahhh....
He was perfect and happy this morning. I'll see how he eats tonight and post of course :/ this thread has REALLY helped. I think he would of died a long time ago had I not got home and thought "hmmm lets see what is out there for Bettas?"
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #240 
Chesh

They ARE adorable! I haven't had experience with more than one at a time, but I've read a LOT about these frogs, and I have never seen anything indicating a recommendation for gender. I don't think it matters - I've never heard of an aggressive ADF, so I'd assume it would be fine, however it ended up. A point to consider is that it is difficult to determine the gender of an adult ADF - and impossible to tell with a juvenile - which is generally what you'll find in shops. So you might not have a choice in the matter anyway! :) ADF's come to maturity at around 9 months of age (from what I've read - mine is still younger!) and if you have a male and he's happy - you'll hear him (quietly) singing - calling for a mate. (I will be so excited if that happens here!)

If you do decide to get more than one, I'd recommend that you get them all at one time. You'll want to QT any arrivals after that for around 3 months to be sure they aren't bringing the chytrid fungus to your healthy ones - and that is a pain! Better to do it all at once and be done. (I am about to start this process with my #2)

Hope that helps!