Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #351 
Chesh

Goodness! How big are these frogs? You make them sound like giants! You're 100% SURE they're ADF and not ACF?!! LOL! I'm sure they're fine, and you can feel free to feed them a mixture of many different yummy frozen foods - variety is the spice of life ;)
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #352 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They've got webbing on they're front... Paws? And no claws except on the hind legs. I've only ever even seen albino ACFs anyways.
Well, the frogs are about 2.5 inches. My threadfin and gobies are all 1 inch. So YES they are giant in my micro tank. Only 2 of my cories are bigger than them.
I'll have to pick up some more frozen food. Yesterday I was only concerned about talking to the shop keeping about how to grow my own food for the threadfin. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #353 
ColleenT

i have read that ACF have their eyes on top of their head and ADF's have eyes to the sides of their head which is a good way to tell
ColleenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #354 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I figured the webbing is the easiest way to tell.
Good news is I have a male and a female. :3 (as best as I can tell).
Old 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #355 
Chesh

CONGRATULATIONS on a possible pair! Very exciting . . .

I'm agreeing with Olympia - I think webbing is the best sure-fire way to be 100% on the question of ADF vs ACF. That and. . . well, ACF get sooooo big and aggressive and behave entirely differently. I had an ACF in the past, I wasn't a big fan of him :/
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #356 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

So, the female frog gorged herself. The male frog only wants to hide in the java moss, I spent 10 minutes looking for him. Then I chased him out of the moss, he ate a couple bloodworms, and slowly made his was back to the moss. -__-

The female also bit one of the cories eating "her" bloodworms, and all the cories freaked out and swam away. xD

edit: also I guess the 2.5 inches is them with their legs stretched out. The bodies are more like an inch as well. But they still look huge in my tank!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #357 
Chesh

Glad you watched them eat, I was wondering if you'd come across a problem like this, lol! Poor Cories! Poor Boyfrog!

I think you may have read about how I set up a 'feeding area' for my frog, or hand-fed while she was in the community tank. Gizmo does this, too - she feeds each type of fish/frog in a different area of the tank, and it seems to work out well for her. MOST people have the opposite problem, though! The frogs are the one having trouble getting food, usually! LOL! Glad to hear they aren't *quite* as gargantuan as all that, too. A 2.5" ADF! 1" is WAY more like it!

I can't wait to hear what you decide to name these silly frogs of yorus. . . Oh, and btw - I *think* they call 'em flippers - DEFINITELY not PAWS!!! *giggle*
Old 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #358 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't think it's needed. None of my fish are big eaters. The gobies probably ate like 4 worms each. My cories don't like blood worms, they just eat a few. I can't imagine corralling the cories around the tank either, they're so shy and panic easily. Mr Tiny doesn't.. eat things bigger than he is. It's working out well. I don't know what more I'm adding to the tank, more threadfins and maybe another small rainbow for the top. No pigs in this tank! Female frog literally seems in charge of things here. xD

I looked it up and they're just called feet apparently. xD

And I was told to name them Appa and Momo, after an anime. It's kinda weird that one's a girl, but I think I'll just ignore that fact!
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...la-d2zfxek.jpg
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #359 
ColleenT

this place shows in pictures the difference between the two types of frogs. i am reading as much as i can to learn about these guys. there is no WAY i would want an ACF, but i am sure there are people out there who enjoy them.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_...ican_dwarf.htm
Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #360 
ColleenT

Ugh! One of my frogs got out. I had counted them in the morning and they were all there. But i had noticed one hanging out at the top of the heater. i counted again this evening and one was missing. I looked for about an hour, over and over in the tank, the filter, etc..Finally found him. He had jumped off the tank and into a paper recycle bin. i found his dead body all dried up. I feel horrible. The tank has a cover but i had no idea they would be so good at escape. i now have aluminum foil covering as much as i can. I don't know what else i can use that would be able to be removable when i need to get into the water for anything.