Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #381 
Chesh

VERY VERY CAREFULLY, lol!!!

Best thing would be to leave the gravel, and put the sand on top. . .

If you INSIST on taking the gravel out, get a pair or two of brand new pantyhose, and wash them VERY well in VINEGAR (no soap) and rinse rinse rinse. Then, take ol' Frogger out for a bit, and scoop all of the gravel into the toe of the pantyhose. Use at least 2 'feet', more if you can - but keep that gravel in there, and keep it wet. Then add your sand and fix your tank how you like it. Let the sand settle before turning the filter back on - and put as much of the old tank water back into the tank as you can. . . you want to keep as much as you possibly can the same - don't clean your filters or anything - skip this water change (unless parameters get funky - you'll want to test frequently, esp in a tank that size). Put your tank back together again, and put those ugly gravel-filled pantyhose back into the tank! If you have 2 pantyhose bags, wait 2 weeks - then remove the 1st one during the water change. Then wait another 2 weeks and remove the next. During your weekly water changes, take the bags out and gently squoosh them in the bucket of dirty tank water, to get any mulm out. If you have 4, remove one every week until they're all gone. The tank will look funky for a month, and be pretty cramped, but this is the best way that *I* know of to do this without making the cycle bumpy. . .

Maybe someone else can offer a better way! I'm SUPER cautious about this kind of thing, so I may be telling you the hard way, but I've done it, and it worked with no cycle flux - so I'm okay with recommending it :)

Last edited by Chesh; 07-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #382 
JennybugJennifer

Whoa that's a lot. I don't mind just putting sand on top I just want it softer and safer for Frogger when he dives and eats
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #383 
Chesh

LOL! That's the easiest way, the trouble is that the sand sinks to the bottom - beneath the gravel. I'd dump the sand on top, and remove the gravel bit by bit during water changes until it's all gone. And also. . . that's the total OCD way of doing it - there must be an easier way - I'm just a total scardey cat when it comes to cycle stuff. Having watched my poor fish and frog go through a fish-in cycle once, I'll never risk it again if I can help it :)
Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #384 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Heeeeeey, does anyone have a photo of, uhm, froggie poop?
I remember when I had land frogs their poop was this disgusting mushy stuff, haven't seen anything like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #385 
Chesh

heehee, oddly enough - I've had this question! I've only ever actually SEEN my frog poop ONCE, and no - I didn't take a picture. But I'm sure they're doing it - and yours are, too!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #386 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just an update, my pair is growing and feeding very well.
The arm pimple things on the male have grown quite a bit. Curious if this means he's maturing more, or if they're stimulated by the female being there. We probably don't know the answer to that though.

Chesh, the one time you DON'T take a photo! :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #387 
JennybugJennifer

Okay question; since I put jaws in the 10 gallon he started tail biting so I moved him back to his three gallon. First how much Aquarium salt can I add? Also would it be healthie for Frogger to move him and two ghost strimp to the empty side?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #388 
Chesh

Limpi - YAY for happy froggies! I've been wondering the same thing myself, actually. I've never read that there is any change in the post auxiliary subdermal gland (PIMPLE!) when approaching mating, so my guess is that it just has to do with sexual maturity and growth. . . not sure about this, however. Either way, HUZZAH! I hope you're enjoying your frogs as much as I do mine!

Jenny. . . I'm not sure what tolerance a frog or shrimp. . . or even betta have to salt in the water - and I'm not clear which creature of the three you're asking about, either, lol! If you're saying that Jaws was biting his OWN tail (silly Jaws!), Olympia will have a better idea of the proper salt tolerance - she's an old-school Betta pro, I only just started down that road.

As for moving the others into a 10g tank - as long as it's fully cycled with similar parameters to the tank(s) that they're coming from, there should be no problem moving the frog - though I know nothing about shrimp. Keep the lights off for 24 hours or so after the move to give the frog time to settle in, and he should be good to go. If you'll be medicating or salting the 10g tank, I'd leave the frog where he is until the water is clear again, because there is no need to expose any creature to stress (medication) that they don't need. . . but it sounds like Jaws is to be treated in the 3g?

Please clarify! Sorry to hear that Jaws is causing trouble again. . . *shakes head*
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #389 
JennybugJennifer

Jaws is medicated in his 3 gallon yes :D and he is indeed he tail biter of his own tail XD such a punk
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #390 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I want froggie eggsss... Do you think feeding more often would make them breed?