Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #421 
Chesh

She's ADORABLE, and that tank is NEAT! I can't wait to see what you put into it. . . a frog. . . or 39. . . would work perfectly! ;)
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #422 
Gizmothefreaky

Lol thanks!! I'm actually thinking of aggressive fish, oscars and maybe some other Cichlids...
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #423 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just remember that 55 gallons is still small for a cichlid tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #424 
Gizmothefreaky

Really? But it's freaking huge, because of the shape... Blah.... Lol I have no idea then... I might just wait to fill it until I move out. Lmao!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #425 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh yes, wait. You don't want the hassle of ANOTHER tank that big being drained and fish being carried around. Gives you some time to thing about what you want better! :)
What's the height? You could do angelfish if it's tall enough. It's too small for oscars though. Goldfish would work, I know you like them. If you want better cichlid advice and ideas than I can give (I know like nothing about them), you can PM our user Tazman about it. He knows like, everything about cichlids of all kinds. There's a lot of aggressive cichlids that are smaller than oscars (but still big), like Jack Dempsey, so don't kick em out of the picture just yet.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #426 
Gizmothefreaky

I'm not sure exactly of the height... Angelfish would be pretty cool. Lol! I wouldn't mind goldfish either.. I've been wanting to look into pearl scales... But I do like orandas too... I wouldn't dare do comets or anything like that. Lol!!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #427 
AdrianneB89

I just got a new ADF yesterday and put him in a 1 gallon bowl with a small clay pot and a few live plants, I have river rocks for the substrate. I plan on doing regular water changes like I do with my Betta Bowl and my Guppy tank. I do not have a filter or a heater but the house stays around 73 ish.. He hasnt eaten anything yet.. I am afraid I dont have the right food.. The Bloodworms I have are the freeze dried ones and they dont sink.... any way I can get them to sink?
AdrianneB89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #428 
Chesh

You might be able to get them to sink if you soak them for a while before adding them to the tank. You can also try hand-feeding him, or using a turkey baster to get the food directly to him. Wet-frozen foods are a better choice, as some sources say that the freeze-dried type tend to cause bloat. It sometimes takes them a day or two to settle in, moving to a new home is very stressful.

However, I do NOT recommend that you keep this little guy in a tiny bowl without filtration or heat. If you can't afford to get him a proper tank (at least 2.5 gallons, filtered and heated) you really should return him to the store. They also jump - so keep that in mind, also.

Sorry to be harsh. . .

Good luck!

Last edited by Chesh; 07-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #429 
AdrianneB89

No reason to be sorry for being harsh.. I was under the impression that this would be plenty of room. at least before I started reading more about them. The store said no filter needed and for one frog one gallon was perfectly ok... My husband thinks I have spent to much money on this stuff as it is so I do not have the luxury of getting a bigger tank. However I am going to do my best to make it a good home for him. I was planning on getting some more plants to go in there small ones.. and I heard that filters cause to much agitation in the water for theses guys so I was thinking about making a small DIY sponge filter for him and I can just use the air pump I already have for my Guppies.. but I haven't decided yet.
AdrianneB89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #430 
Chesh

How are your guppies housed? You do have to pay attention to the filter, depending on the size/type, it *can* pose a problem - or not, it kind of depends on a lot of factors (including the frog). in a 1g tank - yeah, I really don't know about that at all. . . I'd be worried. They don't do well with constant fluctuations in parameters and temperatures that you'll get in a smaller setup. Do you have a larger tank - like a 10g or even a 5 - that you can house him in with another creature?

It's EASIER to keep them in a species only tank, but it is possible to keep them with other nice fish. I've had mine with guppies, and the main problem I had with that was due to feeding. I hand-fed mine to make sure she was getting enough until I got her into her own tank.