Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #441 
Gizmothefreaky

A lot of times you can find whole set ups on CL for about ten bucks, I find them a lot in my area, ten bucks for who sets including substrate and plants, sometimes even filters and heaters. When people want to get rid of something, they sell it for cheap. Lol!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #442 
Chesh

I agree with you, Giz! I suspect that a LOT of people get 10g tanks, overstock them without understanding of the nitrogen cycle (I did ). And when their fish all die a couple of times, they give up.

Adrianne, it's worth looking into. As is the 1 Gallon Rule - because it really isn't a 'rule' at all, and your guppy tank IS overstocked. Even if stocking wasn't an issue (it still is), the needs of the fish are to be considered as well. Guppies are very active little guys, and they simply do not have the room they need to swim about in a tank that small :( Same goes for the frog.

We're not trying to attack you, or upset you in anyway - it's just the truth about the needs of your creatures, and if you can't meet their basic needs right now, you should re-home them or give them back to the shop and give them a chance at the life they deserve. One day, you'll be able to afford a proper set-up. . . but I'm afraid that day might be too long in coming for the fish you have right now.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #443 
battered

How do ADFs compare to bettas in terms of waste production? What about in terms of activity/how interesting they are to watch? I have a Fluval Spec (2g) that I was planning on throwing a betta in but reading this gave me an interested in ADFs again (I had considered them in another community tank, but opted out in the end). I've always loved how they looked, but have been hesitant because I don't want them taking up the Spec if they're just going to sit around all day. Is 1 all I will be able to keep in the tank? The Spec's filtration system is excellent for its size (20x turnover rate) and all my tanks are well planted so water quality shouldn't be an issue.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #444 
Gizmothefreaky

Two gallons is really only suitable for a betta, maybe a colony of shrimp. A single frog needs at least three gallons of water, and for a pair you need five gallons, and so on.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #445 
Chesh

The minimum requirement for a single ADF is usually put at around 2.5 - 3 gallons, so a 2g IS cutting it a bit short, and you absolutley will not be able to keep more than one alone in a tank that size. Well planted is always good, mine definitely enjoy their greenery.

That said. . .

I don't know how to compare the two - they're really apples and oranges! Maybe Gizzy will be able to shed light on the bioload aspect of things. I DO know that they require very stable water parameters, and will do better on the softer side of water. Even if your 2g can handle the bioload, you have to consider the needs of the frog. They're active little guys, and really do like the extra space that a bigger tank brings them. I have my 2 in a 5g (which unfortunately for them is a hex - taller than wide), and am planning to upgrade them to a 10, just to give them more room to spread out.

I love my frogs - I enjoyed her when I only had one, and I'm finding them more entertaining now that I have a pair. I always see mine. They ARE nocturnal, however. Though they are less active during the day, mine are still very much around even during daylight hours. There is no doubt, however, that their activity picks up in the evening. I've found that when I feed them at around sunset (6pm-ish) they reward me with a ton of activity before I'm ready for bed. I don't know what you would consider entertaining enough to take up the space. . . they definitely are less active when the sun is high, though. (and I'm sure this varies from tank to tank and frog to frog). *I* find them very entertaining to watch at any time of day - but I can't tell you that you will, lol! It all depends on what you're interests are!

Hope this helps. . . but keep in mind that you ARE posting on the ADF thread - of course we're gonna say we adore our froggies!

ETA: AAAAAH! THERE you are, Giz! Beat me to it! I love that you're back. . . you're so much better at flat facts than I am *hugs*
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #446 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I agree. They ARE active. I thought they just sat around in zen mode all day, but my guys are belly crawling all around the 20 gallon and rolling around in plants all day.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #447 
Chesh

PERFECT, Olympia! "Rolling around in plants all day" is EXACTLY it!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #448 
battered

Oh...I had hoped that because the Fluval Spec is one of the nicest aquarium in its size range it might be able to accommodate a little more. Had a colony of rcs in there at one time and they thrived. But thanks! Maybe I'll just get a few ADF later in some of my bigger tanks.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #449 
Chesh

Yeah, I would wait. . . you'll really see them at their best in a bigger tank - especially if you can keep more than one :)
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #450 
Gizmothefreaky

I plan on having a small herd of them in my 55 gallon corner tank once I get it up and running. Lmao!! It's going to be wonderful.