Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #471 
Chesh

Oh MY!!! I . . . have no idea! I can't imagine a frog taking out a shrimp, but what do I know - I've never actually had shrimp before... hopefully one of the others can help out here - I'm really sorry. :(
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #472 
Gizmothefreaky

I've seen my frogs devour a passed away shrimp in a matter of hours, they have even eaten most of a guppy. It isn't uncommon for them to scavenge. I doubt they killed the shrimp themselves, but the frogs will deffinately eat it if it was already dead.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #473 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My frogs have not killed any of my shrimp. They tried when I got them but I think they realize the bright red things are impossible to catch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #474 
Chesh

Well, at least we know the frogs aren't the culprit! I couldn't imagine little Frogger in attack mode!

From what I've read, Ghost Shrimp *can* be on the aggressive side toward their own kind - especially when kept in too small of a space. I think that the recommendation is 1 per gallon, but I've also read that in a smaller area, you should keep less. . . I know that all shrimp are sensitive to flux in parameters, but I thought you had that all under control? I'm not sure how long you've had your shrimp, but they're really sensitive to copper, which can come through the water in old pipes - you can get a copper kit from API for around $7, but I'm betting you had too many and they're turning on each-other. Maybe try watching for a long period of time when they can't see you to check for aggression? Depending on your water hardness, I think it may be difficult to keep shrimp, too (MY water is very nice for frogs, which means too soft for shrimp). I'm not sure if you know what your water hardness is (Gh/Kh), but you might be able to get this information from your water company. . .

I've never kept shrimp, but have been looking into the possibility. . . maybe someone who knows more can give you more advice. . . I'm sorry you're dealing with this - hope something in here helps!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #475 
Chesh

Is there anyone around who can help with THIS??!!

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...og-oto-108751/

Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #476 
SpookyTooth

Goodness gracious! That's absolutely terrifying... I wouldn't know what to tell the poor owner! How on earth that happened I don't know but wow...
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #477 
Chesh

My two frogs accidentally chomp on each-other from time to time in their (blind) search for food, but they just chomp-and-release. If the Otto was startled, I can see. . . how his reaction would lead to this. She's getting advice now though, hopefully she gets it off. What a nightmare!!! Species only is the way to go for ME!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #478 
SpookyTooth

I'm rather inclined to agree with you! If I'm ever to get my frogs I'll definitely be keeping them in a species only tank (with the exception of adding a few MTS to keep the sand moving)...

ADFs remind me a bit of my stick insects... bumbling around doing their own thing until BOOF they "see" one another (sticks can see while I know ADFs have poor eyesight) and run away wobbling and doing their leaf dance... er... that's sticks... not ADFS...

... if ADFs did a leaf dance I'd not be able to resist them anymore.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #479 
Chesh

They do the Zen thing.. that's pretty endearing ;)

MTS are fine... I had mine in with an apple snail for a while. . . then I saw a post about an ACF who startled the snail into closing, and it closed ON HIS FOOT! Oh my... they had to take the poor little snail apart to get the frog free. What a mess.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #480 
SpookyTooth

Ouch! The frogs don't have much luck do they? Gosh... poor snail!