betta fish

Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #41 
Gizmothefreaky

Not a problem! :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #42 
dramaqueen
Banned

2 ADF's in a 3 gallon is ok? I know someone who had 3 in one of those little cube things. It was filled one 3rd of the way with gravel. Poor things.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #43 
FuulieQ

Oh, I HATE those cube things. They're terrible.

I've heard various things about frogs per gallon, the one that I hear most is one frog = one gallon, but I like to make it more than that. I have my 4 frogs in a 10 gallon. :P As long as you keep up the water changes, most likely the one frog per gallon rule will be okay - I just like to give them more space. They're super cute when they swim around. c:
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #44 
Laki

So I don't think I could even afford to save the ones in the store I seen them in those cubes. 60$ o.o I almost gagged. And the giant promo sheet for them says to feed them twice a week, never clean it (bc of bio cycling or something) and that they can live in that thing for 2 years or something. I don't know who to even talk to about it, the employees don't care.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #45 
Chesh

I've been browsing around this wonderful internet of ours, and happened upon this place... I saw this

" In America and Canada most large chain shops are selling these frogs infected with Chytrid Fungus, a highly infectious and deadly fungus which kills within the first 3 months of ownership. This is believed to be due to the shops mixing the African Clawed Frog (which is a immune carrier) in with the dwarf frog and so passes on the fungus via the water. It is recommended that owners in these countries quarantine their new frogs for no less than 3 months before placement in their main tank."

and now I'm completely freaked out! On Sunday, on a total whim (spurred on by my toddler daughters) we stocked a fish tank with goldfish. Didn't know how little I know until all but one died through the night. On Monday we went to Petsmart, and my girls picked out new fish (all are doing fine, but we have a long road ahead working out the water quality, as we are cycling it while the critters are living there - I didn't know any better). They fell in love with a little Dwarf frog, and we brought him home. Since Monday night, he's been fine! I have him 'trained' already to eat in a spot away from other fish and kind of hidden, so he can have his special food and he's just awesome! We love him. . . I was already worried about losing him because of our uncycled tank, now I'm REALLY worried that he might be sick with Chytrid! What do I do? How can I tell? *cries* My daughters and I LOVE him!!! I don't have anywhere to quarantine him - I only have the brand-new tank that we stocked with fish. Please tell me he's fine!!!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #46 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
I've been browsing around this wonderful internet of ours, and happened upon this place... I saw this

" In America and Canada most large chain shops are selling these frogs infected with Chytrid Fungus, a highly infectious and deadly fungus which kills within the first 3 months of ownership. This is believed to be due to the shops mixing the African Clawed Frog (which is a immune carrier) in with the dwarf frog and so passes on the fungus via the water. It is recommended that owners in these countries quarantine their new frogs for no less than 3 months before placement in their main tank."

and now I'm completely freaked out! On Sunday, on a total whim (spurred on by my toddler daughters) we stocked a fish tank with goldfish. Didn't know how little I know until all but one died through the night. On Monday we went to Petsmart, and my girls picked out new fish (all are doing fine, but we have a long road ahead working out the water quality, as we are cycling it while the critters are living there - I didn't know any better). They fell in love with a little Dwarf frog, and we brought him home. Since Monday night, he's been fine! I have him 'trained' already to eat in a spot away from other fish and kind of hidden, so he can have his special food and he's just awesome! We love him. . . I was already worried about losing him because of our uncycled tank, now I'm REALLY worried that he might be sick with Chytrid! What do I do? How can I tell? *cries* My daughters and I LOVE him!!! I don't have anywhere to quarantine him - I only have the brand-new tank that we stocked with fish. Please tell me he's fine!!!

Oh dear! Calm down dear, the easiest way yo know if he could even be infected is to ask if they ever sell or carry the clawed frogs. Most chain stores dont carry them, so you should be fine, just keep an eye on your littly guy. :)
Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #47 
Chesh

LOL! Okay... I called and Petsmart ONLY carries the dwarfs *whew* Your first post said:

"In America and Canada most large chain shops are selling these frogs..."

You should maybe change that for poor people like me who wander the internet far past their bedtimes and get freaked out! *giggle* I feel better now that he has less of a chance of being sick! Thanks for your speedy reply!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #48 
Gizmothefreaky

I actually can't change it now, and a lot of stores do still carry the frogs.

I am glad to put your mind at ease though... :)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #49 
Chesh

So am I! And I feel better now that I've had my freak-out and am actually informed about a potential problem in the future (I would like to get him a buddy - eventually, after my tank is established and through cycling) I actually have quite a few questions for you, if you don't mind? I'm madly in love with him, as are my daughters, and I really want to do what I can to ensure he lives a long and happy life!

Can you explain further about the gravel/sand/rocks? Our ADF is living in an 18 inch high 29 gallon tank (we just switched everything over from the 10 gallon that we started with a week ago) What we have on the ground right now is typical-sized aquarium gravel. The man at the actual FISH shop (not where I bought the frog) says that in 15 years he's never seen a problem with the frogs eating the gravel, but I'd rather be safe. Can I leave this type of gravel in the bottom, or should I switch to something else? I can get the larger 'river rocks' sold in aquarium shops? You seem to imply that sand would be better, but is sand going to be compatible with the other inhabitants? (we have Mollys, neon tetras, apple snails, and guppies)

Filter question - we just got a new filter, a Tetra brand 'whisper' filter. I can definitely see there being a problem with him getting suck, as you mentioned. Can I use a new pair of pantyhose to cover the filter intake? Or is there something better that you can recommend?

As far as feeding, the petshop told me that they fed him frozen brine shrimp, so that's what we've been doing so far. You mentioned brine shrimp being okay "on occasion," Is every day too much? He's gotten pretty good at eating it in his little 'house' which is perfect for him, and the fish haven't figured out how to get in there yet. I also have TopFin brand frog, newt, and tadpole bites. These are tiny little pellets that sink to the bottom of the tank. So far he has had trouble finding these - or maybe he isn't recognizing them as food. Either way - are these two things good food for him? I also am having a difficult time trying to figure out if he's eating enough or too much! He only seems to take a few bites then loses interest. . . sometimes he comes back for more later, and sometimes his leftovers have been eaten. I'm not sure how to better manage his intake, or really how much he NEEDS. I'm not sure if his belly is 'bulging slightly' or not!

That's it for now! If you can give me any advice here, I'd really appreciate it! I'm not finding much information online about these guys, and what I DO find seems to often be contrary. I'd love to hear from someone who has so much experience with these little critters!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #50 
Gizmothefreaky

Okay! Lets see if i can do this in short answers.... lol I'm on my phone.

Sand is best, but typical gravel is good too, as long as the bits are roundly bigger than his head. The larger river rock can shift and trap little legs, so that is no good.

Pantyhose is a feat filter cover, make sure it is new, and rinse very well in HOT water before use.

Frog pellets like you have is a good main food, brine shrimp actually have very little nutritional value, i prefer frozen bloodworms, and those can be fed daily. They even cost about the sane.

Hope i got all the questions, live talking about these guys, come back again soon!! :3