Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #501 
JennybugJennifer

That's awesome chesh. I did an immediate 75-90% water change after Frogger died and have both fish in it divided now. My shrimp are not living but that doesn't hurt y feelings. I miss Frogger though, my ears tease me and I think I hear his singing.
Congrats chesh!! That's awesome! I may set up the 2.5 or : gallon and QT two more together then move them to the ten gallon or get a 5 on sale but I'll def cycle it first
Posted via Mobile Device
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #502 
Chesh

I would have done the exact same thing in your shoes, I think. I'm sure the fish will be fine :) Someday, when you're ready, you'll get TWO new froggy friends. . . and do twice as well taking care of them from day one, because of all that Frogger taught you. And I wouldn't mind being haunted by the cheerful spirit of a singing frog! One wish I am SO JEALOUS that you got to hear (I hope Frecks sings some day :)) - you even get to hear it when you don't have a frog :D

Last edited by Chesh; 08-04-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #503 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Aggression between frogs? Is it possible?
Sad to report that the female must be TWICE the size of the male, and I've noticed he's getting thinner. So during bloodworm times today, I watched him and even target fed him with my.. bloodworm toothbrush (don't ask, I find it useful). I don't think she's sharing enough so looks like he'll be target fed from now on. There's still some worms in the tank and he's eating away at will now. I used a whole cube because I thought the hatchet fish would want some but apparently not. >_>
Well at first I thought it was an accident.. but, really... The female first locked jaws with the male (think cichlids fighting). Then she grabbed his front leg, then she grabbed his hind leg. And it's violent biting. I eventually pushed her to the opposite side of the tank with the toothbrush (all the while she was biting the toothbrush and trying to eat it).

I'm going to feed the boy bloodworms everyday, hopefully he'll get to a better size... Do you guys think this is actually aggressive behavior?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #504 
SpookyTooth

Chesherca! That's AWESOME! I hope you're able to raise froglets in future!!

Olympia, that sounds frightening!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #505 
Chesh

REALLY!!!? What a NUTTER! Are you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, 100% SURE she's not a clawed frog??! Shows me how little I know about frog-keeping! I'm going to ask on a frog board I hang out on if they've ever heard of aggressiveness in ADF. Just because I've never seen or read about it doesn't mean it can't happen. My female is MUCH bigger than my male, too. The females just tend to be larger from what I've seen and read, but I had my female alone for quite some time before adding the male, so. . . he's still very young (though she was bigger at purchase, too). I've never seen anything other than foolish froggy bumbling. *chomp* *OW! That was my FOOT* *Whooooops!* *CHOMP* *HEY! MY FLIPPER!* Kind of thing. You'd think they could get along in a 20g tank!!! Crazy. . .

Actually. . . the toothbrush idea is BRILLIANT! Does it work for shrimp, too? *wonders if they sell super long-handled toothbrushes*

Thanks, Spooks! I caught them at it again the other night, too! I really hope that I am able to actually breed them successfully in the future. Just once, just to see! How are your fantastic critters doing? Any signs of mating yet? I'll have to PM you for a full update!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #506 
SpookyTooth

Hehe, I'm sure if they are happily married now they will be in future, especially with the love and care you give them!

My critters are doing well, thank you. No more moulting as of yet (I keep misreading the signs but am still learning so it's all okay) but I'm sure it'll happen soon! There unfortunately isn't that much to update right now... I keep checking Terra for eggs whenever I hear something hit the bottom of her and Gaia's enclosure (you can hear their frass hit the floor of the cage, quite funny) but she's not due to lay for another few weeks yet... ahhh!!!

I am in the midst of creating a stick insect nursery though that will be able to house around twenty babies! Definitely looking forward to finishing that. Also nearly completed Echo's tank makeover! Can't wait till tomorrow, we're picking up a new light fitting and getting the rest of the plants sorted.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #507 
Chesh

Awesome! Sounds like they're doing well, and that you're learning a lot :) You'll have to post pics of Echo's new diggs when you get them all finished - I love your new siggy, btw. Very true. . .
Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #508 
SpookyTooth

I most certainly will! I'll be asking my father if I can borrow his camera to take some decent quality photos - very very excited! And thank you heh...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #509 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Toothbrushes are a great tool! It scrubs algae AND feeds bloodworms!
I did double check and she is 100% ADF. Webbed front feet, no claws on front feet.

Okay.. so I don't know, this looks pretty disgusting, I didn't realize the size difference until I fished them out of the tank... For comparison, a Canadian dime is the same size as an American dime (was going to use a loonie or a toonie but I realized you don't have those in America).
I don't know, maybe the female is morbidly obese, maybe the male is emaciated.. But the boy does have some roundness to his belly after the target feeding!

FEMALE:

MALE:

What do you think Jes?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #510 
Chesh

Limp, they look like mine, honest. I noticed that my female bulked up like that right before they started spawning, so I wonder if yours is full of roe. . . or bloodworm!? I got really nervous about her, thinking that maybe she was getting more to eat than Frecks (but I watch them eat, usually, and mine seem equally bad at finding food UNlike your female), I even fed Frecks by hand a few times and fasted her - no change. . . then they started to mate.

I wonder. . . if maybe . . . the 'aggression' is pre-spawning behavior that I've never read about or seen? OR if maybe he's a hair too young for spawning, but she's impatient, lol. I dunno... maybe Gizzy can help.

Just to make you feel better, look at their bellies. See how they go like this () BOTH of them bow out slightly along the sides - not IN. One is obviously a bigger frog all around, but neither of them are starving, or even hungry, so I think you're fine :) I've seen frogs before who's bellies go like this instead ) ( and THAT is not okay.