Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #551 
Gizmothefreaky

Yeah, I miss him terribly... Poor dear.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #552 
Chesh

Oh my goodness, that is just SO sad!!! *cries* I pray I never have to see that in person, how terrible that must have been for you - and him.

Thank you for posting these, I know it must have been sad for you to look at them again, but it IS good for us, and other frog-keepers who might happen upon them during searches, to know. . .

Based on those images, I'm going to continue to think the pinkishness is coloration - it's only slight, on their skinny little thighs, so probably just veins showing through the skin.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #553 
Gizmothefreaky

Yeah, he really struggled the last couple days, but that just goes to show you how fragile these little guys are, and how easily they can go downhill...

They are educational now, as much as I love and miss him, he started out from a bad pet shop, and lived only about a year before getting sick, and only after his mate Jackie had passed away suddenly, which leads me to believe it had to have been from depression...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #554 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow.. that's sad. I honestly didn't know ADFs got sick besides chytrid fungus.

I guess.. I should be glad my little girl is so fat.
Still thought the attacking thing was weird. She just kept repeatedly grabbing at him. They locked jaws even. Poor little Hunny.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #555 
Chesh

I've read a lot of sad stories like this one, but I think that overall ADF are considered to be pretty tough little buggers - especially considering how tiny they are! I'm SO glad that I've never had to deal with an illness with my babies... it's so difficult to know what meds are safe for them . . but one thing. . . I have to say that I am AMAZED at their ability to heal after injury/trauma/stress. When poor Specks got sucked into the filter, she was pale as a ghost, and not okay at all, but after a couple of days in peace and quiet, she was nearly 100% back to normal. She still has a tear in her back flipper between two of her 'toes' that probably will always be with her, but it doesn't bother her in the least, and she's active and happy. I was so sure she was a goner, but she bounced back in record time. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #556 
Pixielator

Hi Gizmo. I was told not to use betta medicines or AQ salt for ADFs. I was wondering if there is any thing that I can use to prevent/treat parasites, fungus, and diseases?
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #557 
Gizmothefreaky

Melafix is actually a great med. but as far as prevention, the best way to do that is to make sure the water is clean. Aq salt is good for minor things. I find that most meds say not to use with scaleless fish, which I personally think is not safe for ADFs. So really if it is safe for scaleless fish, it is safe for frogs. :)

Do you have a sick little guy on your hands? Please ask all the questions you need. :)
Old 08-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #558 
Pixielator

No, I just came home with 2 new ADFs. I've never owned them before. I'm just trying to make sure that they're healthy right now and that if they become sick in the future, I'll have what I need to make them healthy again. I was also wanting to put them in with my bettas once their quarantine is done, but the more I read about them, the more I want them to just have their own tank.
I was told never to use salt for scaleless fish. I thought that was bad for them?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #559 
Gizmothefreaky

My Khulis, cories, and ADFs have never had a bad reaction to aq salt. I just half the dose if treating just them, or if I have to dose the whole tank, I dose half as often, but at full strength.

You can set up your two frogs in a five gallon at the smallest if you want just them in the tank, which I think is a great idea for someone just starting out. :)
Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #560 
Pixielator

Okay, that sounds good. :) Thanks for answering my questions, I just have a few more.
Do they like/dislike strong currents?
I have a bunch of itty bitty baby mealworms because I breed them for my gecko, I was wondering if the frogs might enjoy them too?
And what are illnesses that I should look out for in my ADFs? I already know a few of them like dropsy, red leg, and the one you talked about in the original post, but are there more that I should be aware of?